Marketing & Promotions

skip-zip

Please folks, some of you are again making the assumption that when some young person gets hired into an athletic dept. and given a title like "marketing director" that they become a decision maker on strategies and policies.

So Brad Swanson, a "young guy" had the leeway and money to come up with social media night, bobblehead giveaways, replica championship rings, etc, but we just lock the new guy in an office with nothing but a pen and a pad of paper huh? BS. The marketing department at UA needs to be innovative and creative just like those for minor league teams. Unfortunately, that's what MAC teams are. Pick a current event. Do something goofy with it. The Rubber Ducks made NATIONAL news for the Brian Williams thing. How much did it cost? A news release, some social media posts, a pair of pants, and a little $$ to pay a guy by the same name to read stories. This is not difficult.

Apologies for changing the direction of the thread, but this is (or should be) a very important focus of athletics and falls directly under the scope of our AD. Use social media, be witty and creative. How much money did social media night cost? Team jerseys, and some banners. And they ended up making a bunch on selling replicas.

• Like 3

Hey guys, his name is Eric Stoller and his office phone number is 330-972-8459. I'm sure if you give him a call he'll be happy to explain what his vision is and what he has done since taking the helm.

I don't think it is fair to just assume he is doing nothing. I remember the season Swanson hit his stride. The Zips won 19 straight, which I got to believe was a major reason for his success. Not taking anything away from Swanson, I still have all the stuff from that season lol.

• Like 1

I've been to every home game minus one this year and I can't remember a single game day promotion. I still have the bobbleheads, championship ring, and my black Akron shirt from when Brad was hitting on all cylinders. The problem is not even about us having money. Each of those promotions were sponsored by a local company who paid for the giveaways.

Toldeo got creative (well, copied the Atlanta Hawks) and are hosting a Tinder Night. They got some national news for being the first college to host such an event.

The RubberDucks do it with small budget and a lot of unpaid interns. It doesn't take a lot of money to be creative. It does take money to implement that creativity, though.

UA has plenty of talented and bright people on their campus. However, administration in positions of power don't take students seriously because, ya know, they're students! So until we start tapping THE BEST RESOURCE that we have...

I've been to every home game minus one this year and I can't remember a single game day promotion. I still have the bobbleheads, championship ring, and my black Akron shirt from when Brad was hitting on all cylinders. The problem is not even about us having money. Each of those promotions were sponsored by a local company who paid for the giveaways.

The sponsorship related promotions are all done by IMG. It's been that way for many years.

I'm not trying to cut on anyone's skills or abilities. I am just trying to give all of you guys some insight into how things are structured, and who is actually making decisions.

The sponsorship related promotions are all done by IMG. It's been that way for many years.

I'm not trying to cut on anyone's skills or abilities. I am just trying to give all of you guys some insight into how things are structured, and who is actually making decisions.

So IMG happened to quit making an effort the same time Brad left. Strange

• Like 1

Since Eric Stoller has been on the job for six months now, he should just be hitting his stride. It sounds as if he had some award-winning ideas at Longwood. Hopefully that was accomplished on a tight budget like UA's so he has experience with underfunded promotions. His bio says his department increased Longwood sponsorships and ticket sales to all-time highs. Longwood's basketball team had only one winning season in the eight years he was there, so he has a lot more to work with at UA.

I'm well aware of IMG being in charge of promotions. Brad came up with a list of promotions that he wanted to do (bobble heads, ring, etc) and told IMG exactly what we wanted and for them to go out and sell it.

How's a guy get one a dem shirts, Doc?

I'll have to check with one of my vendors, maybe I can provide heat transfers and you can do them yourself.

Front and back one color imprint, with a minimum of 6 shirts at custom ink comes to thirty bucks each. A little steep IMO.

You could always take up a new hobby, then we can be like LBJ on any subject we like.