Marketing & Promotions

skip-zip

15 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

If this is true I think it's a great idea to give season tickets holders a little perk.  Because of my schedule I did not buy season tickets this year & thought they had raised the GA price by $5 this year.  Without a season ticket they cost me $15 per.  I would have saved $$ if I had just bought a season ticket & simply didn't use them half the time.

P.s. Just an FYI, I get GA tickets so I wouldn't be responsible for a disgusting, empty blue seat in the lower bowl! :lol:

I never buy football season tickets as I typically have a lot of stuff going on around that time of year so I know I'll never be able to make it to 4+ home games when they only play 6. When the Zips play 14-15 home basketball games, it is pretty easy for me to surpass that break even point.

8 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Creative, takes a shot at students who wear OSU gear, and creates some awareness for Kent/Akron week. I like it.

I agree.  

It takes me back to the Soccer promotion a few years ago, where they asked us to bring in an old OSWho shirt, and exchange it for an Akron shirt.  And there was a very creative video at that time that mocked a student wearing Suckeye gear as well.  

I'm happy to see the return to that type of mentality, and understanding who we compete against for fan interest.  

Edited by skip-zip

On 2/13/2017 at 0:17 PM, LZIp said:

Creative, takes a shot at students who wear OSU gear, and creates some awareness for Kent/Akron week. I like it.

Excellent videos. A couple thoughts...

1) I agree that the shot at students who wear OSU gear is great. I also agree that the soccer promotion was top notch.

2) Frieda and Flash would have ugly hatchlings. I mean would they have teeth, would they not have teeth...? It's an anomaly to say the least.

3) How many "Zippy" costumes does the University have? I hope this was an old one that they were getting ready to throw out anyways. Since Flash touched it, I'd burn the dang thing just for good measure. 

4) Rufus wishes Zippy were in his league. 

I don't know whether or not anyone had them going 12-1, but I distinctly remember several people saying this would be one of Dambrot's worst teams ever and no way we get to 21 wins. Hell we still have people that act like a 4 point halftime deficit is an insurmountable deficit. Its like have you not watched this team all season? Winning nail biters is what we do.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

It seems to me that 1200 tickets for a disinterested student base is too many, especially after you've sold out to the general public.

A promo last night completely took the fans out of a rally.  In the midst of the Zips second half run, we had the tired old blindfolded dude floundering for Zippy shtick kill the fans enthusiasm.  Someday, when I'm rich, you'll hear "timeout on the floor" and the scoreboard will read "this two minutes of nothingness and game enjoyment brought to you by the Clark W. Griswold Foundation."  

6 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

It seems to me that 1200 tickets for a disinterested student base is too many, especially after you've sold out to the general public.

A promo last night completely took the fans out of a rally.  In the midst of the Zips second half run, we had the tired old blindfolded dude floundering for Zippy shtick kill the fans enthusiasm.  Someday, when I'm rich, you'll hear "timeout on the floor" and the scoreboard will read "this two minutes of nothingness and game enjoyment brought to you by the Clark W. Griswold Foundation."  

Word.  That 1200 # seems like a lot.  Do they know something we don't?   If we weren't such a polite crowd, we would find clever ways of showing our disapproval for these activities.  

26 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

Several meaning three or more? Can you name them?

I won't call out names specifically, but I will post some comments that can be found in various threads throughout the season.

This is the worst zips basketball team that I have seen in over a decade.

I guess it is going to be a long season.  Very unimpressive start.

I'm calling it now... the first truly disappointing season of the KD era.  We'll finish in the middle of the MAC, behind OU, Buffalo & K.e.nt & not win KD's coveted 21 games.

All 3 of these were posted by different people. It took me all of maybe 2 minutes to find them. If I took the time to go through other game threads, I could easily found more.

Edited by kreed5120

12 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I won't call out names specifically, but I will post some early comments that can be found in various threads throughout the season.

All 3 of these were posted by different people. It took me all of maybe 2 minutes to find them. If I took the time to go through other game threads, I could easily found more.

I overheard a guy at Burger King saying similar things.  That's 4.  At least.

16 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I won't call out names specifically, but I will post some comments that can be found in various threads throughout the season.

At least you had the decency to not mention the guy who responded to the "worst zips team in a decade".

He said "you beat me to it"

Hey, you're still my boy, Bleu..:P

Yeah, I'm not looking to start a witch hunt. Some people have stepped off the early season ledge and have joined the bandwagon (glad to have you). Others are still bitching about not winning games by enough points and count the Zips out in deficits as little as 4 points. Those are the ones my link was more directed towards.

On the flip side we've have a lot of positive people even after the YSU loss so it works both ways. 

26 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

On the flip side we've have a lot of positive people even after the YSU loss so it works both ways. 

Way more positive and realistic, than negative (less than a handful). And you are only seeing members that post, as opposed to the many members that just read ZN.