2015 MAC Tournament Watch

UAZip0510

To me, it looks as if Toledo is in the best position now given the remaining schedule.

I could see Akron getting a top four seed even with a conference record of 10-8 but only if one of their two remaining wins is at Buffalo. It would also take BG going no better than 1-3 in their final four which I think is in the realm of possibility, just maybe not likely.

To me, it looks as if Toledo is in the best position now given the remaining schedule.

I could see Akron getting a top four seed even with a conference record of 10-8 but only if one of their two remaining wins is at Buffalo. It would also take BG going no better than 1-3 in their final four which I think is in the realm of possibility, just maybe not likely.

That's certainly the easiest path to the #4 spot. And probably the only scenario that allows us to do it with a 10-8 record.

(Gimme) Three Steps:

1) Beat Buffalo tomorrow, pull a game ahead of them, and own the tiebreaker.

2) Win one more of the remaining 3 games.

3) Hope BG falters, and we own the tiebreaker there also.

I am wondering where the Zips sit with respect to the national postseason. Obviously the NCAA is only possible with winning the MAC tourney. The NIT would take a miracle as the Zips would need to be the #1 seed in the MAC as they aren't getting an at-large there either. I wonder, though, where the Zips stand when looking at potential CBI and CiT teams. I doubt they would take Akron if they continue to lose game after game but I wonder how many wins it takes the rest of the way to have the season continue if a conference title doesn't happen.

To Jerry Palm as well

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology

Incidentally, did we know Cleveland will host NCAA regionals this year? Word's out it's a great place for hoops tourneys :thumb:

I'll say this...

When I look at all of our previous high-seeded NCAA Tournament opponents, I see Michigan, Gonzaga, Notre Dame and VCU.

Then I see a "projection" that says that Toledo could get Northern Iowa? Makes me want to cry. :cry:

I'll say this...

When I look at all of our previous high-seeded NCAA Tournament opponents, I see Michigan, Gonzaga, Notre Dame and VCU.

Then I see a "projection" that says that Toledo could get Northern Iowa? Makes me want to cry. :cry:

Not to mention the game would be played in Jacksonville , essentially a neutral court. 2 out of the 3 Zips ncaa games have been played in their opponents back yard.

Skip, you're selling Northern Iowa way short. They're currently ranked #10 in both the AP and Coaches polls. They destroyed #11 Wichita State 70-54. They're as good or better than any team the Zips ever played in the NCAA tournament.

As to whether the Zips might end up in the CBI or CIT tournaments, I think when we analyzed that before that the CBI looked to be a slightly stronger tournament. The Zips would probably need to win a few more games and perform decently in the MAC tournament to qualify. But neither the CBI nor CIT generates much interest among Zips fans. It would mainly be a bonus for the players if they can earn their way into one of those tourneys.

Skip, you're selling Northern Iowa way short.

I know who they are. Maybe you're giving them to much credit? I just don't think they are very good, and I tend to pull mightily for the non-power conference teams. I'd love to get a matchup like that if I were a #13 coming out of the MAC. Their lack of experience on a bigger stage is also added advantage to being their opponent.

I know who they are. Maybe you're giving them to much credit? I just don't think they are very good, and I tend to pull mightily for the non-power conference teams. I'd love to get a matchup like that if I were a #13 coming out of the MAC. Their lack of experience on a bigger stage is also added advantage to being their opponent.

They have plenty of experience on a "big stage."

They've beaten Iowa, Northwestern, Virginia Tech and Wichita State. They would kill Toledo. Not like VCU killed the Zips, but certainly by 15+.

1) 11-4 - Central Michigan - Remaining: at EMU, at NIU, Toledo, at WMU

2) 10-4 - Toledo - Remaining: NIU, Ball State, at CMU, at EMU

3) 10-5 - Bowling Green - Remaining: at Miami, Can't, at Buffalo

4) 10-5 - Can't State - Remaining: Buffalo, at BG, Akron

5) 9-6 - Buffalo - Remaining: at Can't, Ohio, BG

6) 8-7 - Akron - Remaining: Ohio, at Miami, at Can't

7) 8-7 - Western Michigan - Remaining: EMU, at NIU, CMU

8) 7-8 - Miami

9) 6-9 - Eastern Michigan

10) 4-10 - Northern Illinois

11) 4-11 - Ohio

12) 2-13 - Ball State

So here's where we are in regard to any hope for a #4 seed.

1) Akron wins out and finishes 11-7

2) Can't State loses to Buffalo.

3) Buffalo loses to OU or BG.

OR

1) Akron wins out.

2) Buffalo loses to Can't.

3) BG loses two of their last three.

Simply put - there's still a shot at a top four seed, but it will take winning out and a lot of dominoes to fall in the Zips favor.

OR

1) Akron wins out.

Simply put - there's still a shot at a top four seed, but it will take winning out and a lot of dominoes to fall in the Zips favor.

Thanks for the info. I knew that the road to a 4th seed got very remote if it included a loss @ Buffalo.

OR

1) Akron wins out.

Obviously not what I would have liked at this point in the season, but I can really see that 1st scenario happening.

I preface this by saying I’d much rather be contending for a #1 seed, with Noah still able to play, than the scenario I will offer. But that’s obviously not reality.

I’ve agreed with Dr Z in the past when he would lay down the argument that a deep NIT run could be more beneficial to the program than a one-and-done in the big dance. Many teams have taken significant leaps in seasons immediately following NIT success. There is something to getting on a successful roll as a group that can have a lasting effect.

Given the relative youth of the 2014-2015 Zips, I am beginning to think that forcing them to play more MAC tourney games (instead of gaining a bye to the semi-finals or finals) could be better for them in the long run. They’re young, still lacking in experience in certain areas and enjoy considerable depth even with Noah out (fatigue should not be a major issue).

Of course, this scenario only has a chance to be beneficial if they can string a few wins together. That only becomes likely, in my view, if they can right the ship over the last three games. If they can beat OU and somehow split the 2 roads games, they may be able to get some confidence back (has to be at a low point). This renewed confidence would be welcome fuel heading into the MAC tourney. They wouldn’t necessarily have to win the tournament for it to be an overall positive experience for the program heading into 2015-2016.

It’s just a thought.

I agree with DIG on this one, but my issue is that the bench has been significantly shortened over the last week or two with Gladden, Aaron Jackson, and/or Evans getting little or no PT. Take out Robotham and our 11 man rotation drops to 7 or 8. Not nearly as much of an advantage.

I preface this by saying I’d much rather be contending for a #1 seed, with Noah still able to play, than the scenario I will offer. But that’s obviously not reality.

I’ve agreed with Dr Z in the past when he would lay down the argument that a deep NIT run could be more beneficial to the program than a one-and-done in the big dance. Many teams have taken significant leaps in seasons immediately following NIT success. There is something to getting on a successful roll as a group that can have a lasting effect.

Given the relative youth of the 2014-2015 Zips, I am beginning to think that forcing them to play more MAC tourney games (instead of gaining a bye to the semi-finals or finals) could be better for them in the long run. They’re young, still lacking in experience in certain areas and enjoy considerable depth even with Noah out (fatigue should not be a major issue).

Of course, this scenario only has a chance to be beneficial if they can string a few wins together. That only becomes likely, in my view, if they can right the ship over the last three games. If they can beat OU and somehow split the 2 roads games, they may be able to get some confidence back (has to be at a low point). This renewed confidence would be welcome fuel heading into the MAC tourney. They wouldn’t necessarily have to win the tournament for it to be an overall positive experience for the program heading into 2015-2016.

It’s just a thought.

I agree.

I too wish we were talking about playing for the 1 seed or bye into the semifinals first and foremost.

The one thing about having to play more MAC tourney games when you are already sitting on 17-19 wins is that it gives you extra chances to reach that 20 win plateau. That number then could in turn can mean a ticket to one of the lower-tier postseason tourneys (it won't be the NIT) where another game or series of games could take place. While I ultimately want the NCAA berth I can also see the benefit of getting as many games as possible for this youthful team, especially now that Noah is out and more guys should be getting even more minutes than before.