2015 MAC Tournament Watch

UAZip0510

If I understand this right the Zips can now not be seeded better than second nor worse than 8th. So the Zips have now, at least, clinched no worse than a home game in the first round of the MAC tourney but are still conceivably in the hunt for a bye all the way to the semifinals even though it seems like an unlikely scenario.

Just did a little research and discovered that the secondary tiebreaker beyond head-to-head competition is each team's record against the top seed and runs down the list until one team shows an advantage. Since Buffalo is winless against Toledo and CMU, the Zips currently own the tiebreaker against UB. This is pretty big, as the Zips also own the tiebreaker against CMU, BGSU and WMU, and will own the tiebreaker against Can't if they win that game, which they're going to have to do to get a top 4 seed anyway.

Let's look at the team-by-team scenarios for a Zips top 4 MAC tournament seed. The Zips are 9-7 and must beat both Miami and Can't on the road to finish 11-7, which will be the minimum record required to earn a top 4 seed. Beyond having to win their last two games, the Zips only control their own destiny with Can't. There are various combinations of results in the last two games that could end up benefiting the Zips. Here's what the Zips need each of the other top teams to do assuming the Zips finish 11-7:

Can't (10-6) can finish no better than 11-7 and Zips own tiebreaker. Can't can also help Zips by beating BGSU on the road Tuesday.

WMU (9-7) can finish no better than 11-7 and Zips own tiebreaker. WMU can also help Zips by beating CMU at home Friday.

BGSU (11-5) would finish 11-7 and lose tiebreaker to Zips if they lose at home to Can't Tuesday and at UB Friday. BGSU can also help Zips by beating UB.

UB (10-6) would finish 11-7 and lose tiebreaker to Zips if they lose at home either Tuesday to OU or Friday to BGSU. UB can also help Zips by beating BGSU.

CMU (11-5) would finish 11-7 and lose tiebreaker to Zips if they lose both at home Tuesday to UT and at WMU Friday. CMU cannot help Zips by beating either UT or WMU.

UT (11-5) would finish 11-7 but own tiebreaker over Zips if they lose both Tuesday at CMU and Friday at EMU. UT can also help Zips by beating CMU.

Did I miss anything?

Let's look at the team-by-team scenarios for a Zips top 4 MAC tournament seed. The Zips are 9-7 and must beat both Miami and Can't on the road to finish 11-7, which will be the minimum record required to earn a top 4 seed. Beyond having to win their last two games, the Zips only control their own destiny with Can't. There are various combinations of results in the last two games that could end up benefiting the Zips. Here's what the Zips need each of the other top teams to do assuming the Zips finish 11-7:

Can't (10-6) can finish no better than 11-7 and Zips own tiebreaker. Can't can also help Zips by beating BGSU on the road Tuesday.

WMU (9-7) can finish no better than 11-7 and Zips own tiebreaker. WMU can also help Zips by beating CMU at home Friday.

BGSU (11-5) would finish 11-7 and lose tiebreaker to Zips if they lose at home to Can't Tuesday and at UB Friday. BGSU can also help Zips by beating UB.

UB (10-6) would finish 11-7 and lose tiebreaker to Zips if they lose at home either Tuesday to OU or Friday to BGSU. UB can also help Zips by beating BGSU.

CMU (11-5) would finish 11-7 and lose tiebreaker to Zips if they lose both at home Tuesday to UT and at WMU Friday. CMU cannot help Zips by beating either UT or WMU.

UT (11-5) would finish 11-7 but own tiebreaker over Zips if they lose both Tuesday at CMU and Friday at EMU. UT can also help Zips by beating CMU.

Did I miss anything?

Great breakdown!!!

Things could get hairy if there are three or four teams tied...we may not necessarily hold the same tiebreakers in those cases.

Just win baby!

If Akron, Miami and Western end up 9-9, what is the tiebreaker for the 6th-8th seeds? Is it a combined record of the three teams? If we are the 8th seed and win on Monday we would then play at 630 on wednesday, I want to play 9pm on Wednesday if we make it that far.

Current Bracket.

If it ended up like this, I think our 2nd round game could possibly be easier than our first. And a Cleveland matchup with Ken+ on Thursday in the Quarterfinals would be cool also.

But overall, I hate to say that I'm thinking "miracle" to get this team through 5 straight wins at this point. Depending on our current health/injury situation, hitting the Friday game against a healthy team with a week worth of rest might be comparable to running into a brick wall.

Elton agrees on the Bullies, who are intent on replacing previous Can't teams as the designated thugs of the MAC:

The team to beat: Buffalo head coach Bobby Hurley and the Bulls seem to embrace their rising tough-guy status in the league, complete with the pulled-down hoodies in player intros to Hurley's game-long sideline tantrums, and more.

In the Bulls 93-66 victory over Ohio University, backup center Raheem Johnson was whistled for a flagrant foul and ejected. And while UB -- up 12 at the half and 24 with 14 minutes to play -- was never challenged by the Bobcats, Hurley kept his starters on the court until the final minute.

As we near the end of another season I like to look back to see how the so called experts did on their pre - season ratings.

This is from the hustle belt:

1Toledo

2Akron

3Western Michigan

4Ohio

5Eastern Michigan

6Buffalo

7Can't State

8Northern Illinois

9Bowling Green

10Central Michigan

11Miami

12Ball State

Though I suppose that Toledo may be favored and could win the tourney there are some mighty big swings and misses here.

Any other opinions or predictions out there?

My gut says Toledo. But the way this year has played out I won't be shocked if any team in the top 4 wins.

I'm trying to remember the last time a team outside the top 4 won. I'm pretty sure it was Akron in 2009. I guess anything is possible.

If it weren't for our injuries, I think our depth could allow us to run 5 games in 5 days for the MACC. At least 1 and likely 2 or 3 of the top 4 teams will come out flat due to the extended time off and it will cost them a game.

My prediction: We win two and lose the third in Cleveland. Too many injuries piling up and not enough leadership and maturity to take it all the way this year. UB and UT are the best possible representatives for the MAC in the NCAAT, so I hope one of them takes it.

Worst case scenario for the Zips is that neither Pat nor BJ play another game. That would leave the following rotation:

Big Dog

Kwan

Aaron

Jake

Reggie

Deji

Nyles

Antino

Malcolm

Those who wanted to see Kwan in the low post would likely get their chance if he becomes Big Dog's backup. And those who wanted to see Deji play more minutes would probably also get their chance to see how effective he can be playing longer minutes.

those who wanted to see Deji play more minutes would probably also get their chance to see how effective he can be playing longer minutes.

Without Pat and Noah, I'm not sure it will matter if he plays 36 minutes on this team.

Those who wanted to see Kwan in the low post would likely get their chance if he becomes Big Dog's backup.

He's just going to have one backup? Better have a lot of O2 on hand. Do they make a bluetooth mask?