Get Well Noah

Staton14

Aside from the 1% miracle that the ACL is not torn, this is a terrible blow for Noah and likely one blow too many for this season's team. I expect them not to give up, to adjust and surprise a few people with how good they can be in the MAC tournament. But a championship run would be a real stretch. The biggest question mark now is Nyles. He played just 4 minutes last night and disappeared from the bench. Is it a physical problem or a head problem? This team needs him badly with Noah down. Does Nyles show up or check out?

Joe Dunn had Noah on his daytime show a couple of months ago and I could not have been more impressed. Very composed, well spoken and a kid concerned with his education. UA is lucky to have him.

I almost thought it was a prank. I kept thinking "there's no way this is a kid that just graduated high school."

Noah tore his ACL. He will have surgery in about 3 weeks and should be ready to play next season. No other damage, just the ACL. He is in good spirits and will be on the bench at Buffalo.

And still no word from the ABJ? Their hometown D-1 basketball team just had one of their top players go down for the season with an injury, during a title run.

If the Suckeyes actually had a chance to win a conference title this year, and this happened to one of their top players, it would have been in an article on the front of the sports page the next morning.

The Zips are extremely fortunate to have a backup PG of Antino's caliber as well as a quality walk-on PG like Malcolm. We just have to be realistic and remember that Antino is a true freshman whose HS team did not play the kind of national schedule that Noah's did. He doesn't have the calm maturity of Noah that has steadied the team, but is more of a streaky player with ups and downs. He's learning on the fly how to lead the team for 30 minutes per game as opposed to being a change of pace backup for 10 minutes per game. Malcolm is also going to be learning on the fly. But after watching his performance against Toledo, I couldn't recall another walk-on player the Zips have had in recent memory who could have done any better.

The Zips are extremely fortunate to have a backup PG of Antino's caliber as well as a quality walk-on PG like Malcolm. We just have to be realistic and remember that Antino is a true freshman whose HS team did not play the kind of national schedule that Noah's did. He doesn't have the calm maturity of Noah that has steadied the team, but is more of a streaky player with ups and downs. He's learning on the fly how to lead the team for 30 minutes per game as opposed to being a change of pace backup for 10 minutes per game. Malcolm is also going to be learning on the fly. But after watching his performance against Toledo, I couldn't recall another walk-on player the Zips have had in recent memory who could have done any better.

Exactly Dave. While the season has had its low points, we've been in much better hands at point guard with the three freshmen this year than we were with Carmelo and Evans.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...