It is time to start Deji

1981 grad

Desperate times call for desperate measures. We have lost 3 in a row, going to Buffalo where we rarely win, just lost our starting point guard to injury, might have lost our other starting guard for other issues, and Kd has never lost 4 in a row. Last game KD was looking for more production in the starting lineup and started the twin towers. We scored 4 points in 5 minutes. When he went back to the twin towers late in the first half we were outscored by 9 in two minutes.

It is time to put your second leading scorer, one of your highest percentage shooters, and the guy who gets to the foul line more than anyone except Pat into the starting lineup. KD likes to bring a spark off the bench. Last year it was Q and this year it is Deji. But Antino was 2 of 10 last game and 0 for 5 from the 3 line. This team needs more scoring in the starting lineup without Robotham. Last year KD finally inserted Q in the starting lineup and it immediately improved the team. Deji is a senior and having a great season. Give him the start.

• Like 1

... might have lost our other starting guard for other issues ...

As Hilltopper just pointed out in another thread, there was a miscommunication with Nyles that has all been straightened out. Nyles is committed (along with Deji) to help provide the senior leadership the team needs through the remainder of the season. If Coach Dambrot thinks that starting Deji and bringing Nyles off the bench would produce better results for the Zips I'm sure he'd try it along with all of the other lineup "tinkering" some have questioned. ;) My best guess is that Nyles will continue to start at the 2 as a steadying force alongside the mercurial Antino, and that Deji and Malcolm will relieve the starting backcourt off the bench.

Just like when Noah was sick last week, I thought that Nyles might pick up some PG duties. Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing Nyles and Deji out there as the two seniors at the 1 and 2 for periods down the stretch.

I love Deji. I won't say if Deji should start, but I'd at least like to see him start on Senior night. But I definitely think he could handle some significant minutes over these last 4 games. Lets run more of those isolation plays with him also. We need to create some offense, and he might just be the answer.

It may be better to start Deji and/or have him play more against Buffalo just because of our size differential with their guards. We were already small with Noah and Nyles starting. Antino and Nyles make us even smaller. I'm not sure I get the case for the "twin towers" combo. Kwan is big enough at 6' 9" to combine with Forsythe. I'd like to see Kwan be more aggressive inside and at mid-range anyway.

Not odd timing asking for Deji to start. Even though his shooting has been a little off, he has still averaged 9 points per game after his big game at Ohio which is probably 2nd best on the team after Pat during this period.

The reason is that he is the one Zip player that gets to the line and then makes his foul shots. Deji is 70 of 95 from the foul line this season playing 481 minutes.

For comparison, the next closest person playing more minutes (635) is Pat with 59 made foul shots and he is 59 of 96.

Reggie, Kwan, and Kretzer have played a combined 1772 minutes and have made a combined 59 made free throws for the season.

We need points t the beginning of the game and Deji is the ticket. He has earned a start.

Evans hasn't played or practiced at the point guard position all season . I don't think that is going to change anytime soon .

I don't think it's necessary to get caught up in what "position" he's played this year. He's certainly dribbled the ball up the court, handed out assists and made passes into the post on many occasions this year. He's also very involved already in the rotation of the ball around the perimeter.

He'll do :D

Remember, we once won a MAC Tournament Title with Harney picking up that role.

I don't think it's necessary to get caught up in what "position" he's played this year. He's certainly dribbled the ball up the court, handed out assists and made passes into the post on many occasions this year. He's also very involved already in the rotation of the ball around the perimeter.

He'll do :D

Remember, we once won a MAC Tournament Title with Harney picking up that role.

Skip, you need to take that line of reasoning straight to Coach Dambrot. Please let me know when you're going to be meeting with him because I want to be there to hear the response. :D

Skip, you need to take that line of reasoning straight to Coach Dambrot. Please let me know when you're going to be meeting with him because I want to be there to hear the response. :D

As if every thought on here is something the coach would agree with?

Even when Noah was sick, I felt like letting Nyles pick up some minutes at the point rather than a walk-on with almost no experience made more sense to me, and I still feel that way. Obviously he felt differently, and he gets paid half a million to make those decisions.

I have 11am open tomorrow, if that works for him. Are you in? :P

I'm just glad Harney scored those 48 at Fairmont State. My blood pressure has dropped into the healthy range since he left.

As for Evans at the point, let's not forget he split time at PG with Carmelo Betancourt, to combine to be the worst point guard tandems in recent memory, and when everyone is healthy, he is at best our 4th point guard. I like the kid, but I am not ready for a regular diet of him at the point.

... I have 11am open tomorrow, if that works for him. Are you in? :P

Any time, any place. :wave: But, seriously, I've said it before and I don't know if it registered with you or not, but Nyles was a combo guard in HS who scored in bunches while also running the point. He had a chance to be a PG at the junior college level during his two seasons at Brevard Community College, and they ended up moving him to shooting guard. The shooting part of Nyles' combo has been superior to the PG part of his combo for the past 3.5+ seasons. But, heck yes, second-guessing Coach Dambrot's every move is definitely fair game on a Zips forum. :cheers:

As if every thought on here is something the coach would agree with?

Even when Noah was sick, I felt like letting Nyles pick up some minutes at the point rather than a walk-on with almost no experience made more sense to me, and I still feel that way. Obviously he felt differently, and he gets paid half a million to make those decisions.

I have 11am open tomorrow, if that works for him. Are you in? :P

Any time, any place. :wave: But, seriously, I've said it before and I don't know if it registered with you or not, but Nyles was a combo guard in HS who scored in bunches while also running the point. He had a chance to be a PG at the junior college level during his two seasons at Brevard Community College, and they ended up moving him to shooting guard. The shooting part of Nyles' combo has been superior to the PG part of his combo for the past 3.5+ seasons. But, heck yes, second-guessing Coach Dambrot's every move is definitely fair game on a Zips forum. :cheers:

You guys will need to get on the road at about 6am tomorrow , it's about a 5 hour drive to buffalo .

You guys will need to get on the road at about 6am tomorrow , it's about a 5 hour drive to buffalo .

LOL. Good catch. I guess an 11am appt. in Akron would not be possible.

Seriously though, I trust that Keith will make a decision that he thinks give us the best chance to win. Plenty of us will either applaud it or 2nd guess it. My aim was really just to point out that there's more than one guy on the floor at any given time who's handling the ball, making entry passes, etc. People get way too caught up in delineating the specific duties of each position.