2015 Spring Football

Jrship35

I had a chance to speak with TB last weekend and I believe he said the team was starting spring practice the week before spring break and taking the week of spring break off. They would then resume practices until the spring game, but I don’t recall if he told me the date of the game or not (I know, I’m a lousy reporter). We may be able to deduce this however with the information at hand:

• Spring break is from March 23 to March 29.
  • A college is allowed to hold 15 spring practices, including a spring game. Schools are also permitted to have separate days during which activities are limited to required conditioning activities and/or watching film. These 15 practices must be completed within a period of 34 consecutive calendar days. Exceptions to consecutive days are university-sanctioned vacation and examination days, and days with inclement weather, restricting the possibility of practice. Only 12 spring practices may permit physical contact, none earlier than the third practice session. Tackling is allowed in eight of the twelve contact sessions. Up to three of the eight tackling sessions may be devoted to 11-on-11 scrimmages. The optional spring game counts as one of the three scrimmage days.
  • Between Jan. 1 and the first date of preseason practice, a university conducts its offseason conditioning period. An institution designates eight weeks in this period as discretionary time for the student-athlete. The eight weeks must be broken up into segments that contain seven consecutive calendar days. The discretionary time period must be placed on file in the school's athletic department before Jan. 1. Mandatory team conditioning, film review and weight training can also be completed outside of the student-athlete discretionary period. These activities are limited to eight hours per week, with only two hours allowed for film review.

Thus, spring practice will start on March 16, but those 1st few days will not have contact. If I recall correctly, they had a similar situation last year (spring break interrupting practice) and I believe they went 1 week before break and 3 weeks after break. Based on this, I think April 18 is the most likely date.

Couldn't post but sent to Dr Z to post

Listed below for ZN members.

All practices are 8:30 am - 11 am.

If you decide to attend, please call 330-972-7466 or email sbutler@uakron.edu and let them know.

Practice 01 – Mon March 16th

Practice 02 – Tue March 17th

Practice 03 – Wed March 18th

Practice 04 – Thur March 19th

Practice 07 – Fri April 3rd

Practice 08 – Sat April 4th (Scrimmage TBD)

Practice 09 – Tue April 7th

Practice 10 – Thur April 9th

Practice 11 – Sat April 11th (Junior Day TBD)

Practice 12 – Tue April 14th (Scrimmage)

Practice 13 – Thur April 16th

Practice 14 – Fri April 17th

Spring Game – Sat April 18th (1 pm - 3 pm)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if baseball will move their starting time to go after the scrimage. Then the soccer game in the evening. That was a really nice day last year, we wound up watching four sports within a few hours.

The tallest guy in the photo passes the eyeball test, the guy to his left looks like mobility outside the pocket may be an issue.

zfoot17cut-1.jpg

PS Can't wait to read about the new red jerseys in the "it's time for another uniform change" thread.

Which QBs are those? Chapman...Kincade?...?...?

At first blush, I'd say this sounds like bad news but I am sure someone can explain why I'm wrong.

Looking at the whole picture, its good news and bad news. Good news in the sense that there is most likely a QB on the roster better than him right now not named Kyle Pohl (hence the transfer). Bad news in the fact that we are losing most likely the best HS recruit under Bowden before they have even played a down for us. Chapman has two years left right? That means Kincade would have had 2 years to start assuming present circumstances. We also just lost a big commitment from a 2016 QB. We were feeling great about the QB position in regards to depth/talent/experience, now all of the sudden long term and even this season is a huge question mark. We all seen first hand last year in college football how QB depth can make or break your season.

All we know right now is that Chapman is the best QB on the roster in practice.If Chapman is the starter and the offense has changed, I'd bet my left nut that Woodson is the back up.

At first blush, I'd say this sounds like bad news but I am sure someone can explain why I'm wrong.

I am really bummed about this, I was excited to see Kincaide. My guess is the "style" of QB TB wants did not fit with Chandler. He appeared to be more of a drop back/gunslinger "pro style" quarterback. It appears the direction TB is headed is for more of a mobile/scrambling style quarterback.