Thoughts on UA Rename

airrage

There are twelve primary state universities in Ohio. Can anyone name them all without looking it up?

The University of Akron, Toledo, Bowling Green, Ohio University, Ohio State, Cincinnati, Can't State, Miami, Youngstown...I'm short 3 so I'm going to say Cleveland State, Columbus State...can't think of a 12th...

THE University of Akron, Toledo, Bowling Green, Ohio University, Ohio State, Cincinnati, Can't State, Miami, Youngstown...I'm short 3 so I'm going to say Cleveland State, Columbus State...can't think of a 12th...

Wright State? And you have the Suckeyes twice, so I think there's still one missing.

I also fixed something in your post. See bold type above.

• Like 1

The University of Akron, Toledo, Bowling Green, Ohio University, Ohio State, Cincinnati, Can't State, Miami, Youngstown...I'm short 3 so I'm going to say Cleveland State, Columbus State...can't think of a 12th...

Cleveland St & Wright State....I am short one. So I went and looked and found that there are a total of 14 public universities (I know the question was primary schools)

http://www.opuac.org/

I forgot about Shawnee State. They only opened in 1986.

So there's 13 state universities, plus NeoMed.

If Dr Scarborough can find a way to absorb NeoMed, I don't care what he renames UA to. I've heard it's mostly UA grads there anyway, despite being a partnership between UA, Can't, CSU, and YSU. Scarborough is supposed to have played a part in Toledo absorbing the Medical College of Ohio.

...than absorb NeoMed, but keep the name UA. Doesn't it devalue our Degrees if our University changes it's name?

NO

What if, just suppose, they renamed it Ohio State University (Akron Campus).

I would have them send me a new sheepskin.

Being an OSU grad is better in the business world than being a UA Grad.

In my opinion..

Of course, I prefer they rename it HARVARD. :laugh_up: :laugh_up: :laugh_up:

NO

What if, just suppose, they renamed it Ohio State University (Akron Campus).

I would have them send me a new sheepskin.

Being an OSU grad is better in the business world than being a UA Grad.

In my opinion..

Of course, I prefer they rename it HARVARD. :laugh_up: :laugh_up: :laugh_up:

We both know that's not going to happen. But then there'd be a difference between OSU and OSU-A...OSU-A potentially has worse of a connotation than just UA by itself does IMO...

My thoughts: Stupid. Not even a directional name like NEOU. Directional state school names sounds generic. So many things need work with the U/sports/fanbase, and a lot of it deals with a lack of identity. Starting over from scratch sounds amazing. /sarcasm

• Like 1

In New York, all State Schools are SUNY (State University of New York) and are listed by location, so:

SUNY Stoney Brook

SUNY Binghamton

SUNY Farmingdale

Etc.

Any sheepskin that says "SUNY" on it is good, regardless of the fact that some of the schools are way better than others.

So, Ohio State University Akron would not bother me at all.

Three pages of a thread despite no real source nor any sort of detailed information. :rofl:

My understanding is that Dr. Scarborough is having every aspect of UA reevaluated as most new CEOs in most businesses do, especially in times of a changing business (higher education) and economic climate. This includes basics down to the very name of the school. It doesn't mean that everything will be changed, but just those things that make sense to change to better position the school for the foreseeable future. It's possible that UA could be realigned in a way that a different name might make more sense in describing what the school will be focusing on in the future, which may be different from the past. Look at the bright side. A lot of talk about a new name might help educate Joe Akron into no longer referring to "Akron U." ;)

Wright State? And you have the Suckeyes twice, so I think there's still one missing.

I also fixed something in your post. See bold type above.

Thanks Skip! :bow:

I correct enough people when they say "Akron University"...people out there, it's THE University of Akron :thumb:

It doesn't mean that everything will be changed, but just those things that make sense to change to better position the school for the foreseeable future.

Things that put the school in a better position according to his opinion. Don't know enough about him or his motives to trust that any changes would be a good thing.

My understanding is that Dr. Scarborough is having every aspect of UA reevaluated as most new CEOs in most businesses do, especially in times of a changing business (higher education) and economic climate. This includes basics down to the very name of the school. It doesn't mean that everything will be changed, but just those things that make sense to change to better position the school for the foreseeable future. It's possible that UA could be realigned in a way that a different name might make more sense in describing what the school will be focusing on in the future, which may be different from the past.

Akron Polytechnical Institute?

Open-minded forward thinking people on this subject probably have a diploma from La Tech.

Oddly enough, Louisiana Polytechnic Institute changed its name to Louisiana Tech University while I was working on my degree there. At the time, LPI was a smaller fish in Louisiana than UA is in Ohio today. Dr. F. Jay Taylor was the forward-thinking president at the time who wanted to grow the little polytechnic school into a major university and gain more respect. After studying the academic landscape of the time, Dr. Taylor instituted many changes that started advancing the school forward. Today the former little polytechnic institute is the only school in the nine-member University of Louisiana System ranked as a Tier One national university in the U.S. News & World Report college rankings, surpassing many of the Louisiana schools it previously trailed. Changing the name from LPI to LTU was the smallest of the changes but the most immediately obvious and emotionally wrenching for some.

It'd bother me a lot. We're not Ohio State. Ohio Stat is a Farm School centered in Columbus. We're The University of Akron. Both schools were established in 1870.

True. Why would we, with a 150 year history, even remotely entertain the idea of being a branch school of another Ohio state school?

Unless, of course, some people at my alma mater really want to get the full effect of that TeamOhio concept. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

...than absorb NeoMed, but keep the name UA. Doesn't it devalue our Degrees if our University changes it's name?

Bringing NeoMed under the UA umbrella would certainly consolidate some redundant services and contracts that would save money. However, this is far short from what is best for the city and the state. Unfortunately, that deal was sealed in the '70's when NeoMed was triangulated between anything of importance.

What would be best is for the medical and pharmacy schools to be located in the city near the excellent hospitals. However, with all the new construction investment on the NeoMed campus, I don't see this happening anytime soon.

I like the University of Akron name. It pairs well with UT and UC, which I consider to be the other major state research universities that UA competes with. It is also consistent with other urban research university around the country (e.g. University of Pittsburgh, University of Memphis, University of Chicago, University of Houston, etc.).

• Like 1