Thoughts on UA Rename

airrage

As someone who lives in Toledo, I can tell you that the people at UT couldn't wait to get rid of Scarborough and president Jacobs. They spent half of their time re-naming colleges and wasting time on useless ideas. At least they didn't try to change Toledo's name. Unfortunately, two more people from the Jacobs administration are heading Akron's way.

I am not trying to change anyone's mind regrading the name change. However, if your only problem with the suggested name is that it has the words technology or polytechnical in it, then you are being ridiculous. Some of the most prestigious universities in the nation are:

MIT: Massachusetts Institute of Technology
VA Tech: VA polytechnic institute and state university

GA Tech: GA institute of technology

RPI: Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

and so on.

Saying that the words "Polytechnic" and/or "Technical Institute" are beneath us because we don't want our school to sound like a mechanics school is as ridiculous as saying that we shouldn't be a University because we don't want it to sound like Devry University or Can't State University.

You must have graduated with a degree in a technical field. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's a kick in the balls to everyone else.

Would polymer engineers like it if their school was renamed "Ohio Medical Institute"?

The University of Akron is so much more than tech. This is yet another example of not improving the image of the University as a whole, or all of the different things it is to different people. Just one more example (in a long history) of selling itself short. We're talking about a major university with a severe image problem shooting itself in the foot,

If this bullshit goes through I'm putting my degree in a fire proof safe deposit box because I want no part of being a grad of the "College of Health Professions" from "Ohio Tech". Not when I'm going up against grads of the "College of Nursing" from "The ________ University".. And don't think that won't come into play when I go back for my Masters somewhere.

and so on.

Saying that the words "Polytechnic" and/or "Technical Institute" are beneath us because we don't want our school to sound like a mechanics school is as ridiculous as saying that we shouldn't be a University because we don't want it to sound like Devry University or Can't State University.

No. It goes beyond that. The fact that someone who graduated from The University of Akron would even consider making this arguement troubles me.

That's because it's such a BS arguement (no offense).

VA Tech changed it's name in 1944.

MIT was established as such in 1865.

Georgia Tech was established in 1885.

Renasslaer was established in 1824

"Polytechnic" is nothing new. It was developed by the french in the 1700's as a style of college institutions.

+1 Spin. Universities are supposed to build, foster and grow identities, not destroy them.

The difference between all those "successful polytech" schools and us...is they were established that way, with a focus on the technicals from the getgo. UA is not that, cannot be that, will fail to be that.

I'll sever every connection with the university I mean the Polytechnique if it's as shortsided and stupid as this.

If and when the press conference is held to announce this name change, they might as well announce the termination of the athletic program in conjunction. Current support is anemic, but what little support there is will dry up for the Ohio Polytechnic Institute and State University Zips.

If and when the press conference is held to announce this name change, they might as well announce the termination of the athletic program in conjunction. Current support is anemic, but what little support there is will dry up for the Ohio Polytechnic Institute and State University Zips.

Agreed...I will be done as an athletics supporter if that happens. Being a zips fan is miserable enough a large majority of the time. I am not going to go through that misery for an institution that has completely separated from the identity of my university.

I am not trying to change anyone's mind regrading the name change. However, if your only problem with the suggested name is that it has the words technology or polytechnical in it, then you are being ridiculous. Some of the most prestigious universities in the nation are:

and so on.

I agree. "Tech" doesn't mean we are any less of an institution. There are plenty of other reasons to not like the name change.

It's not the words in the name, it's the idea that the name change reflects a change in focus. I have a degree in computer science from UA and nearly 30 years in IT, so I assume I would fall under the "technic" umbrella. But I also have a strong liberal arts background and I can testify without a doubt that the liberal arts have been just as important for my career as the tech training. I recognize that for some people a technical training alone meets their needs, but when it comes to my personal support I cannot and will not support an institution that devalues the liberal arts in favor of a technical school focus, no matter how advanced it might be. If UA goes from supporting a universe of knowledge to a focus on the current technical trend (I am all for work with polymers, but does anyone remember how our world revolved around rubber at one time?), I will no longer be a supporter of the institution.

• Like 1

To clarify that last part, I use polymers and rubber as an example of how the "next big thing" changes. By technical trend, I am referring to the trend in looking at higher education as primarily a means to turn out prospective employees for companies and generate dollars for the institution rather than turning out people who have been exposed to a range of ideas, opinions and (hopefully) experience in critical thinking.

Gabby Johnson weighs in. . .

original.jpg

“I wash born here, an I wash raished here, and dad gum it, I went to shcool here, an no sidewindin' bushwackin', hornswagglin' cracker croaker is gonna rename me alma mater.”

This is a UNIVERSITY. And it's made up of Colleges. It's a large, vast, and comprehensive educational institution of higher learning. In my opinion, changing the name to anything that narrows or diminishes this "grandness" in any way is a ridiculous move. Go ahead and market your specialties in any way you like. Give a great name to the COLLEGE that awards degrees in that specialty.

Yes, I have a Liberal Arts education from Akron. Does anyone realize that the last I checked, we had the Top 5 program in the country in Industrial/Organizational Psychology? Maybe people like me should be pushing for "Akron Institute of Behavior Studies"? That would also allow us to attract students based on a nationally-recognized program too, right?

There's so much that can be done without a name change to the entire university. As athletic supporters, does anyone realize how long we'd be referred to as that school that "used to be The University of Akron"? It's stupid, and extremely shortsighted.

Gabby Johnson weighs in. . .

original.jpg

“I wash born here, an I wash raished here, and dad gum it, I went to shcool here, an no sidewindin' bushwackin', hornswagglin' cracker Up

Update: Rumors and Repositioning

THOUGH THE CAMPUS has been engaged for months in budget review, strategic planning and conversations about our future, nothing has captured the imagination of the entire community as much as the rumors of a name change.

Print and broadcast media, bloggers and petitioners, commentators and pundits are talking about The University of Akron. This should not come as a surprise. People care about our university. People are emotionally attached to certain names (which is why so many still refer to us as Akron U). And there is deep interest in our future.

But there is also a great deal of misinformation fueling the rumors. Let me state clearly: We are not proposing a name change. But we are seriously discussing how to reposition The University of Akron for greater distinction.

Unified conclusions

The need for repositioning UA emerged from three Vision 2020 Summit meetings that included representatives from the student body, faculty union and faculty leadership, staff, alumni, community, business and industry—historic gatherings of a diverse group of stakeholders discussing our future and the future of this region. During these meetings, I heard many different ideas on how to strengthen and grow our university, but everyone agreed that:

• We must do a better job differentiating ourselves from other universities.
  • We must distinguish ourselves in the higher education market.
  • We must act now.

Please take a few minutes to listen to the thoughtful and insightful takeaways from the Summit participants, including faculty, in this brief video:

video=placeholder.jpg

Along with the Vision 2020 Summits, there have been open and transparent discussions across campus about budgets, operations, challenges and strategies to reposition and strengthen the university to better compete in the marketplace. Faculty and union leadership have been involved every step of the way. This is the purest form of shared governance in academia. Most recently, I have hosted strategic planning sessions with faculty in all colleges.

The budget and strategic planning processes focus on meeting the significant and sobering financial challenges facing our university and on strengthening areas of distinction—from polymers to applied politics, from dance to engineering, from scientific research to technology.

Defining 'polytechnic'

Those individuals who know us best know that UA is especially strong in preparing our students for successful careers, in taking what they learn in class and applying it to work that gets done in the real world.

That is why the word “polytechnic” has come up often in many discussions.

The most well known polytechnic universities (Georgia Tech, Texas Tech, Virginia Tech, etc.) are defined by their career-focused, rigorous academic programs in the sciences, arts and humanities; emphasis on critical thinking and complex problem solving; applied and experiential learning; and deep connections to industry and community. We already have many polytechnic programs, approaches and strengths at UA that distinguish us and add tremendous value to a UA degree.

Let’s put an end to rumors and speculation about a name change that serve only to misinform and divide.

We can do better. We will do better. Let us uphold the purest ideals of shared governance as we work together to reposition and distinguish The University of Akron to deliver on our promise to be this region’s great public university.

Sincerely yours,

fb2a1ce5-1e92-43ef-9c61-e05c9219383f.jpg

Update: Rumors and Repositioning

THOUGH THE CAMPUS has been engaged for months in budget review, strategic planning and conversations about our future, nothing has captured the imagination of the entire community as much as the rumors of a name change.

Print and broadcast media, bloggers and petitioners, commentators and pundits are talking about The University of Akron. This should not come as a surprise. People care about our university. People are emotionally attached to certain names (which is why so many still refer to us as Akron U). And there is deep interest in our future.

But there is also a great deal of misinformation fueling the rumors. Let me state clearly: We are not proposing a name change. But we are seriously discussing how to reposition The University of Akron for greater distinction.

Unified conclusions

The need for repositioning UA emerged from three Vision 2020 Summit meetings that included representatives from the student body, faculty union and faculty leadership, staff, alumni, community, business and industryhistoric gatherings of a diverse group of stakeholders discussing our future and the future of this region. During these meetings, I heard many different ideas on how to strengthen and grow our university, but everyone agreed that:

• We must do a better job differentiating ourselves from other universities.
  • We must distinguish ourselves in the higher education market.
  • We must act now.
Please take a few minutes to listen to the thoughtful and insightful takeaways from the Summit participants, including faculty, in this brief video:

video=placeholder.jpg

Along with the Vision 2020 Summits, there have been open and transparent discussions across campus about budgets, operations, challenges and strategies to reposition and strengthen the university to better compete in the marketplace. Faculty and union leadership have been involved every step of the way. This is the purest form of shared governance in academia. Most recently, I have hosted strategic planning sessions with faculty in all colleges.

The budget and strategic planning processes focus on meeting the significant and sobering financial challenges facing our university and on strengthening areas of distinctionfrom polymers to applied politics, from dance to engineering, from scientific research to technology.

Defining 'polytechnic'

Those individuals who know us best know that UA is especially strong in preparing our students for successful careers, in taking what they learn in class and applying it to work that gets done in the real world.

That is why the word polytechnic has come up often in many discussions.

The most well known polytechnic universities (Georgia Tech, Texas Tech, Virginia Tech, etc.) are defined by their career-focused, rigorous academic programs in the sciences, arts and humanities; emphasis on critical thinking and complex problem solving; applied and experiential learning; and deep connections to industry and community. We already have many polytechnic programs, approaches and strengths at UA that distinguish us and add tremendous value to a UA degree.

Lets put an end to rumors and speculation about a name change that serve only to misinform and divide.

We can do better. We will do better. Let us uphold the purest ideals of shared governance as we work together to reposition and distinguish The University of Akron to deliver on our promise to be this regions great public university.

Sincerely yours,

fb2a1ce5-1e92-43ef-9c61-e05c9219383f.jpg

This reads like damage control. Something tells me that if that protest happens Friday, it would have been very bad PR on a national level.

Maybe that was the plan from the start.

Unfortunately, two more people from the Jacobs administration are heading Akron's way.

Didn't one of them keep putting his initials on all the sports marketing stuff? Like "by LB" in small script underneath everything? I though it was funny as an Akron visiting Toledo, but I really hope we don't have an egomaniac trying to work his initials into cheers or the Rowdies or something.

If there was no truth to the rumor of a name change, taking this long to come out and say that only allowed negativity towards his administration to build. I started off thinking hiring him was a mistake. I was just starting to think he might be ok and now I am sure hiring him was a terrible mistake. From what I have read both during the search process and since, this has the makings of a real ugly time for UA.

If there was no truth to the rumor of a name change, taking this long to come out and say that only allowed negativity towards his administration to build. I started off thinking hiring him was a mistake. I was just starting to think he might be ok and now I am sure hiring him was a terrible mistake. From what I have read both during the search process and since, this has the makings of a real ugly time for UA.

IMHO, an name change is still on the table. Watching the video says as much.