Thoughts on UA Rename

airrage

IMHO, an name change is still on the table. Watching the video says as much.

Agreed, I'm still sending my letters out that I've already written...and I'm still going to the protest. I'll believe it when I see it.

Note: The first damage control message issued by UA on Friday, said that protesters and petitioners were too focused on the name change, and not at all on all the other things being considered. Which is a bit of a missinformation campaign on their part because no...those who started the petition and have organized the protest express interest in both.

Agreed, I'm still sending my letters out that I've already written...and I'm still going to the protest. I'll believe it when I see it.

Note: The first damage control message issued by UA on Friday, said that protesters and petitioners were too focused on the name change, and not at all on all the other things being considered. Which is a bit of a missinformation campaign on their part because no...those who started the petition and have organized the protest express interest in both.

Now the question becomes: Will he directly address the protesters?

I have a hard time adjusting to a new person coming in, with no previous ties to the university, and taking away part of our history. I'm not sure Dr. Scarborough would be too happy if someone demanded him to change his last name to something more prestigious sounding.

• Like 1

If the byproduct of all of this is that it re-energized the pride among alums and Zips sports fans, that's fine. But, this doesn't appear that it was planned that way. I really believe that they miscalculated the impact of allowing "name change" to even be mentioned in a discussion about "rebranding".

What's going to happen is that everybody is so worked up about the name changing, they'll announce that the university is eliminating a bunch of programs and changing to a Poly school but the name is staying the same, and people will be just fine with it because they got to keep the name.

People have it backwards. Who cares what it's called, so long as the university remains intact?

What's going to happen is that everybody is so worked up about the name changing, they'll announce that the university is eliminating a bunch of programs and changing to a Poly school but the name is staying the same, and people will be just fine with it because they got to keep the name.

People have it backwards. Who cares what it's called, so long as the university remains intact?

I'm pretty sure people are upset about both. Just go read the #NoNameChangeAkron page on facebook...or the petition that now has around 10,500 people on it:

It can boast housing a College of Business Administration that is ranked in the top 100 of the nation, a diverse and dedicated Colleges of Arts history and classics departments, communications, theater and dance, College of Nursing, School of Law, and many more. Under Dr. Luis Proenza the university saw a massive expansion for better learning, adding 22 buildings, 18 majors, and 34 acres of green space for the students. It is important that The University of Akron remain an inclusive entity to all programs and majors, instead of pigeon holing itself into a specific niche...Mr. Scarborough and his administration team have been discussing this change, and many others, without the inclusion of faculty and staff. Any major changes to the colleges should be discussed openly with those that it employs, and not at the whim of an administration team that has not been open with the changes it is initiating...

I think it's pretty clear that most in opposition to it know it's more than just the name "The University of Akron".

I've been told by a very reliable source that a name change is all but a done deal as far as administration is involved, and that a change would likely start small...but the powers at be want a complete overhaul at some point down the road.

• Like 1

I have even more inside information than Balsy (if that's possible):

The Team Shop is already stocking up on Ohio Polytechnic Institute # 3.14159 jerseys. Note: This is inside info...do not try to order them until next Monday.

"Zippy" is dead. Replaced by Polly Polygon. It's key to maintain the female-loving mascot demographic. Brilliant move by Scarborough.

And what has been discussed, but is equally important, are the upcoming ADDITIONAL facility name changes that have been mandated both in, and around campus.

Buchtel Avenue? It's ancient history, replaced by:

canstock7595449.jpg

The Chapel? Sorry, Knute. If you wanna keep that swanky on campus location, you gotta play ball with the Prez:

ScarboroughParish.JPG

Summa? So long. :wave: There's a new sheriff in town:

I-Support-My-Scarborough-Hospital.jpg?i=

So embrace the changes, my fellow Zippers. And practice our new chant:

O....P-I....O....P-I... :rock:

#TeamOhio

• Like 1

I have even more inside information than Balsy (if that's possible):

The Team Shop is already stocking up on Ohio Polytechnic Institute # 3.14159 jerseys. Note: This is inside info...do not try to order them until next Monday.

"Zippy" is dead. Replaced by Polly Polygon. It's key to maintain the female-loving mascot demographic. Brilliant move by Scarborough.

And what has been discussed, but is equally important, are the upcoming ADDITIONAL facility name changes that have been mandated both in, and around campus.

Buchtel Avenue? It's ancient history, replaced by:

canstock7595449.jpg

The Chapel? Sorry, Knute. If you wanna keep that swanky on campus location, you gotta play ball with the Prez:

ScarboroughParish.JPG

Summa? So long. :wave: There's a new sheriff in town:

I-Support-My-Scarborough-Hospital.jpg?i=

So embrace the changes, my fellow Zippers. And practice our new chant:

O....P-I....O....P-I... :rock:

#TeamOhio

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I've been told by a very reliable source that a name change is all but a done deal

Name stays the same according to President Scarborough.

But university president Scott Scarborough sent an email to the campus community Monday afternoon saying the name will remain the same. He said misinformation fueled rumors about the name-change idea, leading to petitions and other opposition from people who don’t like it.

Name stays the same according to President Scarborough.

But university president Scott Scarborough sent an email to the campus community Monday afternoon saying the name will remain the same. He said misinformation fueled rumors about the name-change idea, leading to petitions and other opposition from people who don’t like it.

VAZip hit it on the nose. But we should get some good quotes from Mr. Scarborough in the next couple of days. He has asked the protest organizers to meet with him to discuss any concerns that they have about the future of UA, and to answer any questions that protesters have for him. Actually pretty classy move IMO.

Protest organizers have asked their fellow protesters to submit questions to ask Dr. Scarborough. I've been told by the organizers that two of my questions are on the list:

1. It's been said that the current changes being considered at UA will not include a name change, does that mean for changes now or all future changes and plans from you administration? (some sort of wording of this question)

2. What data, analysis or study is available to support the contention that polytechnique institutions, or institutions that have changed their names, become more competitive...or that will make The University of Akron more competitive.

Don't know about the other Tech colleges, but Va Tech walked away from the polytechnic label. Growing up in VA...it was always known as VPI. The point is, if others are dropping the label, why would UA adopt it. My other point...if you have to explain what it means, it's probably not a good choice. I'm sure very few college bound students could explain it.

Don't know about the other Tech colleges, but Va Tech walked away from the polytechnic label. Growing up in VA...it was always known as VPI. The point is, if others are dropping the label, why would UA adopt it. My other point...if you have to explain what it means, it's probably not a good choice. I'm sure very few college bound students could explain it.

They're the same thing from what I understand. It's from the french Education model of Polytechnique universities.

Rumors and Repositioning

Defining 'polytechnic'

Those individuals who know us best know that UA is especially strong in preparing our students for successful careers, in taking what they learn in class and applying it to work that gets done in the real world.

That is why the word “polytechnic” has come up often in many discussions.

The most well known polytechnic universities (Georgia Tech, Texas Tech, Virginia Tech, etc.) are defined by their career-focused, rigorous academic programs in the sciences, arts and humanities; emphasis on critical thinking and complex problem solving; applied and experiential learning; and deep connections to industry and community. We already have many polytechnic programs, approaches and strengths at UA that distinguish us and add tremendous value to a UA degree.

Let’s put an end to rumors and speculation about a name change that serve only to misinform and divide.

We can do better. We will do better. Let us uphold the purest ideals of shared governance as we work together to reposition and distinguish The University of Akron to deliver on our promise to be this region’s great public university.

Sincerely yours,

fb2a1ce5-1e92-43ef-9c61-e05c9219383f.jpg

Balsy talking about his source inspired me to do some investigating myself. I'm sure this will get some laughs (and I don't blame you), but I wouldn't post if I didn't trust the source.

My connection has a very good connection with somebody who is directly associated the Scarborough family. The name change was/is a consideration. Apparently Scarborough is pissed that it got leaked and is only back peddling because of the backlash.

• Like 1

Question:

Which is worse? Lying about changing the name of our University or lying about kids trading trinkets for tattoos?

How about complaining to Facebook to have a peaceful protest, organized by students and alumni of YOUR UNIVERSITY event deleted?

The complete disregard for students, faculty, alumni is sickening. We don't matter. Now, I'm going to stop typing before I type something I might regret later. (not at you Keener, that's directed at this BS).

From the FaceBook page

IF YOU CARE ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY, READ THIS!!!!!! HE IS CHANGING THE NAME. It will be The University of Akron: Ohio's Polytechnic University.

Just received this in email. We knew he was going to talk to the faculty, but were unaware he has made this final.

Today’s Faculty Senate meeting contained important information you will want to know. The meeting went until 6pm; the most important points were made in the “closed to the public” portion of the meeting where President Scarborough (4 members of the BOT attended – an historical first we were told), told us of the new UA “branding” plan that goes public May 15. Some of the main points:

1. Beginning May 15, UA new logo will be, “The University of Akron, Ohio’s Polytechnic University.”

2. PR videos of numerous faculty glowing with support (with rising music in the background – not jazz or country music as far as I could tell) of this were shown to us: Debbie Owens (College of Business), John Green, Elizabeth Kennedy (Applied Science program), etc.

3. The argument given was:

a. There are 3 Ohio universities that are fully branded and will survive: OSU, Miami of Ohio, and University of Cincinnati.

b. The rest of the 11 other Ohio universities are all in jeopardy: UA, Can't State, Shawnee State, etc.

c. UA comes 8th place in Ohio branding, but outside of NE Ohio UA brand is poorer.

d. Many US urban areas have a major branded university – Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, Cal Tech, and Texas Tech.

e. Florida is building “Florida Polytechnic University”; Wisconsin’s Stout campus is converting to “Wisconsin’s Polytechnic University.”

f. A polytechnic has 4 features:

i. Career focused

ii. Connected to industry

iii. Experiential

iv. Technology infused

v. Sciences and the Arts

g. So, UA will now brand itself starting May 15 with the sub-title of “Ohio’s Polytechnic University.”

h. The PR campaign to convince people opposed to this includes the following: on May 14 the local Knight Foundation will give a few million dollars to the UA ballet company. The next day UA will be rebranded and the PR connection will be made that we are still pro-Arts and Sciences.

4. Summary of discussion points:

a. Many science faculty and applied sciences faculty were all for this.

b. I spoke against it and asked President Scarborough a few questions, e.g., he made a public statement to the press 2 days ago that there will be no name change, now we are given this info of a new sub-title to be given to UA. Isn’t that a name change? He replied there is no name change here. I asked him whether or not there is a plan in a year to make the sub-title the new name of the UA. He said that is an open possibility in the future (or something to that effect).

c. I asked what substance change will this produce – this is just a label change. I asked him if he was planning to hire 15 MIT faculty away from MIT? That would be a substance change. He said the new college plan is the substance change.

d. He said that we need to make every discipline into a Bliss Institute of applied (whatever).