Zips at Miami 3-3-15

1981 grad

Antino stepped UP!

Sade281, I don't think anyone has yet welcomed you to ZipsNation. We really appreciate new forum members as some of the old ones tend to post the same old stuff, and it gets really boring. :lol: So welcome to ZN.o and please keep sharing your enthusiasm about Antino with us.

Antino is one of the most exciting players I've seen since I've been following the Zips. I'm so happy he selected Akron, which is so far away from his home in the Houston area. One of the things I noticed about Antino at this game in Oxford is that he was absolutely miserable at the end of the game even though he scored a lot of points. You could see the unhappiness on his face and in his posture because he knew his team was losing the game. That told me that winning games is more important to Antino than personal statistics, and that's a sign of a team player. We already love Antino, and the best is yet to come over the next three seasons.

I think Antino will be a vital part of this team moving forward. I just think he'll play the 6th man/energy role. Noah is better overall and Josh Williams is projected to be better (and is more of a combo guard than Antino), which is why I mentioned those two. We should have really, really good guard play for the foreseeable future, which is very exciting.

The Dials/Joyce/Middleton/Roberts era was arguably the best of Dambrot's tenure. We should have similar quality and depth at guard next season, so maybe that gets us back to when we could beat a Florida State or Temple in the NIT.

Can anyone step up and take the #3 spot next year? If we are a combined 4-deep at the #1 and #2, we're 0-deep at the #3. We have 4 bodies, but none took hold of the position in 2014-15.

• Like 1

The Dials/Joyce/Middleton/Roberts era was arguably the best of Dambrot's tenure. We should have similar quality and depth at guard next season, so maybe that gets us back to when we could beat a Florida State or Temple in the NIT.

Can anyone step up and take the #3 spot next year? If we are a combined 4-deep at the #1 and #2, we're 0-deep at the #3. We have 4 bodies, but none took hold of the position in 2014-15.

I think the potential is there between BJ, Jake and Reggie. Maybe Aaron? But I think he's developing into more of a 4. Hope something clicks with one of them over the summer.

I think the potential is there between BJ, Jake and Reggie. Maybe Aaron? But I think he's developing into more of a 4. Hope something clicks with one of them over the summer.

I think BJ has some potential to develop into a decent 3. He seems to press a little now, but will settle down with more games under his belt. He may be the only person on this squad that tries to go to the basket too much. I think Reggie could also be a viable 3, but I sense we may see him in the dreaded 6th man role. I think Aaron and Jake stick as 4's.

"Potential" with Jake and Reggie? They'll be seniors next season. What you see is what you get with them...streaky shooters who are more "off" than "on," and whose defense is mediocre at-best.

Jackson and Gladden both had opportunities to step up and make an impact in 2014-15, and neither distinguished themselves. That's not to say they can't, but they rely too much on size and athleticism, and will need to do a lot of work over the summer to become stand-out D1 basketball players. The Zips annals are overflowing with players who had 4 years worth of "potential."

I didn't mean a lot of potential :lol:

They have the potential to be serviceable starters. You're right in that they probably won't blossom into much more than they are right now. But I think if they just shoot their career averages, we wouldn't be in such bad shape this year. The 3 spot was a black hole on this squad.

According to some posts, KD blames this loss on the refs. (I did not hear his post game comments) I have read several post where we blame our loss on who did not play, Harney and Tree (who haven't played all year) and no Robotham, Pat or BJ Gladden (who averages 3 points per game).

But this team lost to a North Dakota State team that played 5 players almost 40 minutes the entire game. If any team had excuses to lose, it was North Dakota State. This team under KD has a winning tradition and has been fun to watch. What I saw at Miami was not fun to watch and we played ugly.

One of the advantages of playing 11 guys all season is that guys should be able to step up and play when we have injuries. Aron Jackson had the opportunity to play big minutes. Went 0 for 5 and did not score. We won an away game when Pat was hurt and Big Dog won it at the foul line going 6 of 6. At Miami he had 6 turnovers. When they started double teaming him as soon as he touched the ball he stopped scoring. (He should be able to pass out of a double team) He had only one basket the entire 2nd half although he scored 4 free throws.

Nyles Evans, senior starter, 2 points on 1 for 5 shooting. He was playing so much better at the start of the season. Why is he no longer penetrating and scoring? He went 0 for 3 from the 3 line. Kwan, 2 points in 18 minutes. Another player who is trailing off badly at the end of the season.

This team has lost 5 of 6. I really think that this team relies when too much on the 3 ball but that is who we are. I have not given up on the season but win or lose would like to watch some good basketball. I am hoping that whoever is playing on Friday and Monday will play good sound basketball and play like a good KD coached team.

And we have a winner in the category "All-time Most Misleading Statistic."

Kudos to whomever had the deceptive gall to pen that one. :rock:

Lost in the excitement of the Zips possibly reaching the 20-win plateau yet again (and boy is it a plateau) is the fact that our 17-0 streak remains intact!!

The Zips didn't lose the lead versus Miami until the 5:23 point in the 2nd period, so we're STILL 17-0 when we've had the lead at the 5-minute mark in 2014-15! No one finishes like the Zips! :rock::rock:

• Like 1

The CBI/CIT is equivalent to one of those crappy bowl games that 6 win teams make it to.

You think attendance at the JAR is bad now? They'd struggle to get 900 people at a home CBI/CIT game.

Care to pick the over/under on Monday's attendance @ the JAR? I'll go 2k. Probably too high, but I'm an optimist.

... I have read several post where we blame our loss on who did not play, Harney and Tree (who haven't played all year) and no Robotham, Pat or BJ Gladden (who averages 3 points per game). ...

I believe I'm the only one who mentioned missing all those players, and it was very clearly stated within the context of how much total talent the Zips have lost from prematurely departing players and injuries, and how little team depth was left on a team built around a deep bench. But please feel free to give it your best creative interpretation.

Future definitely looks great. Hopefully Noah recovers quickly and if he does, hopefully he stays in the program. I would love to see all of these guys play together for the next few years.