Zip vs. Can't State 3-6-15

Ohio.com game day story:

http://www.ohio.com/sports/zips/ua-basketball-wounded-zips-find-themselves-backed-into-corner-1.572175

From the article: "During a loss to Miami on Tuesday, UA also lost center Pat Forsythe to turf toe and B.J. Gladden to season-ending surgery for a medical condition."

Can anyone give more information on what happened to B.J.?

EA goes further to say that BJ has had "a nagging malady all season that has recently flared up again." That would help explain why he hasn't played longer minutes or performed up to the level we had expected. I just hope that whatever it is heals up over the off season and he comes back 100% next season.

Turf toe (metatarsophalangeal joint sprain) prognosis:

In cases of a minor to moderate toe sprain, return to sport or normal activity can usually occur in 2 – 6 weeks with appropriate management and treatment. Patients with a more severe injury will usually require a longer period of rehabilitation to gain optimum function.

Barring a miraculous recovery, it's going to be the worst case scenario of both Pat and BJ out for the rest of the season and the Zips playing in the tournament with 8 healthy scholarship players.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/malady

Definition of malady listed above. Also, if I remember correctly, there has been reference to Pat having this issue earlier in the season. If that is correct, I'm guessing he's done for the year as he can no longer take the pain. That's a tough condition to play with.

Here's hoping the Zips have some late season magic left in them! Can't StateCKS GO ZIPS!

Well I'll be watching the game since its on ESPN2, but this is the least excited I've been about a Can't game in quite some time. A promising season really went up in flames, eerily similar to the football season where a promising start disintegrated at the end of the season (even though there is one game left, both basketball and football ended on a 1-5 stretch). Always good to beat the Flashes, but sadly it's not going to mean much this season, I'm afraid.

Always good to beat the Flashes, but sadly it's not going to mean much this season, I'm afraid.

I think a win tonight would mean a TON. National television. #1 rival. On the road. The final game before the conference tournament.

If the Zips can pull this one out, they go into the MAC tourney believing they can win it all.

Even down to 8 scholarship players, the Zips are as good as anyone else.

The Zips need to play like a wounded badger tonight, and fight like hell. Let the rest take care of itself.

I don't question whether the effort will be there. I just wonder about the execution.

We can hold them to 60 points. I just don't know if we have the personnel and the focus needed right now to score 60+ points.

I've seen McAdams go for 50% of that by himself.

Someone needs to step up tonight. Kwan..McAdams...Deji...someone needs to be a "man among boys." If that happens, the rest of the team will follow.

We may be shorthanded but each of the 8 scholarship players has scored in double figures. ( I remember Evans lighting it up at Cleveland State) The talent is there to win the game but the team needs to step up, including the coaching staff. The 2nd half in Miami they double teamed Big Dog as soon as he touched the ball and we had no answer. I am sure Can't will do the same and we need to respond with points.

The good thing about this game is that all the scholarship players should get at least 20 minutes. Nobody should be afraid of getting pulled for making a mistake. I think Antino is a great competitor and have been very impressed with his play. I am hoping that we can have 8 players with 8 or more points. Looking forward to the game.

I've seen McAdams go for 50% of that by himself.

Someone needs to step up tonight. Kwan..McAdams...Deji...someone needs to be a "man among boys." If that happens, the rest of the team will follow.

Amen. I've seen it too. We definitely need someone to have a great offensive night like that again.

Here's a few recent trends to keep in mind: We only scored 61 at home when we beat Can't in early Feb. Since that time, were only scoring in the 50s and 60s, and have only gone over 70 one time (loss @ Eastern).

With a depleted offensive lineup, we need an all-out defensive effort to keep Can't somewhere near that 52 point total that we held them to the last time around. And without Pat on the floor, our interior defense will be diminished. We'll need to make that up with some of the other guys getting in those passing lanes. We may be able to get that done with some of the smaller lineups that you will see on the floor tonight.

... The 2nd half in Miami they double teamed Big Dog as soon as he touched the ball and we had no answer. I am sure Can't will do the same and we need to respond with points. ...

Specifically, a second Miami player ran over to double Big Dog the second he put the ball on the floor. By the time Big Dog was into his second dribble, he was tightly double-covered and had trouble with the outlet pass. The way to overcome that is for Big Dog to plan his pass to come after a single dribble. That way the second coverage player is about halfway between the man he was covering and Big Dog. The player who's left unguarded should immediately break for the basket and be the primary target for a pass from Big Dog. Quick adjustments like that will break down that kind of double coverage.

The way to overcome that is for Big Dog to plan his pass to come after a single dribble. That way the second coverage player is about halfway between the man he was covering and Big Dog. The player who's left unguarded should immediately break for the basket and be the primary target for a pass from Big Dog. Quick adjustments like that will break down that kind of double coverage.

good plan.