Zip vs. Can't State 3-6-15

100% Correct. Especially when we are talking about freshman basketball players, I think it's pretty foolish to think that any new player has somehow secured his spot for his entire career. A lot can change with the way people play right now, this coming week, what happens over the next 6 months, and what happens over the next 3 years.

Was it "foolish" to expect Zeke to start?

Yes, you can never predict what will happen, but unless he's not 100%, Noah will be a starter.

I think he, Antino, and Williams will all get heavy PT next season, and that we'll all thoroughly enjoy having the three of them.

• Like 1

ACL replacement is a nasty operation, and it takes a long time to fully recover. I hope it is otherwise, but Noah may not be 100% at the beginning of the season, and there is no way Coach risks a re-injury (does Domenik Hixon ring a bell) until it is certain he is ready.

Most medical sources agree that typical recovery time from a torn ACL is 6-9 months before normal athletic activity can begin again. Could be a little less or a little more, but that's the typical range. So it would likely be September at the earliest before Noah could begin seriously practicing. It's not likely that he would be in great game shape before the first game next season. But he might be ready to play short minutes early in the season. That makes Antino's tremendous progess at the end of this season so critical, and also likely means that Josh and Jimond would get more minutes in early season games than they would if Noah was 100%. After the Alex/Carmelo situation, I don't think we'll ever see Coach Dambrot short of qualified PGs again. To be safe you need at least three guards who can play the point well, even if one or two are combo guards who can play the 1 or 2 equally well.

• Like 1

Every situation is indeed different for ACL injuries. Because this happened well into the season, being ready to play basketball again with enough time to be ready for the start of next season is going to take some work. Lets just hope this doesn't result in a lost season, like we experienced with J. Wood a few years back.

So if Noah isn't ready to play decent minutes in the early portion of next season would there be any temptation to have him use a redshirt for next year given that he still has the option available and that we should have some other quality guards on the roster?

Is it better to have a limited Noah in November and December or to have him at full strength for three more years? It could actually be a tough call. Hopefully he is well and fully ready to go by November and the question wouldn't even need to be brought up.

• Like 1

So if Noah isn't ready to play decent minutes in the early portion of next season would there be any temptation to have him use a redshirt for next year given that he still has the option available and that we should have some other quality guards on the roster?

Is it better to have a limited Noah in November and December or to have him at full strength for three more years? It could actually be a tough call. Hopefully he is well and fully ready to go by November and the question wouldn't even need to be brought up.

I don't think it will be a tough call. If he's 90% or better come December, he plays in 2015-16. Based upon the well-known 6-to-9 month recovery time, I'd expect he'll be playing this upcoming season.

If he has a setback, the redshirt option is a nice one to have in the back pocket.

I think we will see them on the floor together quite a bit. KD obviously has no problem playing two smaller guards together (e.g. Robotham and Evans) and I can see him doing it with these two. Hopefully, these kids both stick it out at UA for their entire college careers.

On the radio after the Ohio game KD said that they recruited both Noah and Antino because he thinks they both shoot the ball well enough to play decent minutes together. It will be nice to have more than a few guys capable of handling the ball and initiating an offense. Also could help break the press, which has been tough to watch at times this year.

Is it better to have a limited Noah in November and December or to have him at full strength for three more years? It could actually be a tough call.

Yep, it would be.

Like I said, we had a similar timeline (midseason ACL) with a key player 10 years ago, and unfortunately we had to play without him for a season.

Kwan had a solid game at Can't and scored several inside baskets. The first half is the best I have seen him play all year. He did not score in the second half. I have said it numerous times that Kwan needs to learn to score inside the 3 line to be a consistent double digit scorer. Hopefully, he will come up big tonight.

• Like 1

I went to the Pitt game vs Miami last Wednesday. I watched a similar style of player, Michael Young, drill 15 footer after 15 footer. This was after he established a post game. it would be nice to see Kwan get some early buckets down low then stretch out the D with some catch and shoot mid-range jumpers. I know the saying "shooters shoot," but right now I'd prefer to not see that keep happening. Something about the definition of insanity..

I watched a similar style of player, Michael Young, drill 15 footer after 15 footer. This was after he established a post game. it would be nice to see Kwan get some early buckets down low then stretch out the D with some catch and shoot mid-range jumpers.

I agree, but does the Zips offense allow for that?

Kwan had a solid game at Can't and scored several inside baskets. The first half is the best I have seen him play all year. He did not score in the second half. I have said it numerous times that Kwan needs to learn to score inside the 3 line to be a consistent double digit scorer. Hopefully, he will come up big tonight.

Obviously, he has the Green Light on 3-pointers.

But right now, without Pat in the lineup, his inside play on both ends and rebounding are really needed right now. He had 9 rebounds at Ken+. Perfect. He also had NINE 3-point attempts. That's way too many, in my opinion. I'd rather see several other guys shooting a few of those.

I'll be happy with a couple more rebounds and a couple fewer 3-point attempts the rest of this year. We need him in the paint.