UB vs WV (Mac in The Big Dance)

Dr Z

Who will win  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I saw BH got some extended face time on CBS hoops coverage this evening. I was doing something else so I didn't hear what all they were talking about.

I was thinking the same thing. He was asked for his comments on some of the games. He spent about 10 minutes on the air talking during prime time. That will only help his cause. He's been "high profile" for over a week now, and people seemed to be gravitating toward Buffalo as a Cinderella hopeful before they lost. The Hurley name, his royalty-like legacy of being a Dukie, and is recent success at Buffalo is probably going to add up to something significant very soon.

For me personally, I like the drama that could be associated with Akron/Buffalo games in the future, and I'd hate to see him go right now for that reason. On the other hand, I kinda look forward to seeing MAC guys jump ship quickly and failing with another program.

Do you view Rutgers or Fordham as attractive jobs? You can bring up conference and location all you want, but a shitty program is a shitty program. There's a very low chance you are going to take a bad program in a good conference and win.Therefore not a smart move. I'd rather make a career decision more on absolutes than what-ifs. Leaving Ohio for Illinois is a smart move. Leaving Buffalo for Depaul isn't, in my eyes.

It's a very narrow view to believe that crappy programs forever remain crappy and good programs forever remain good. In fact DePaul once had a consistent winning program that has fallen on hard times while over the same years other teams rose from hard times to consistent winning. Over the coming years other teams will trade places near the top and bottom of the pecking order. In a few years DePaul will be playing in a newly built $164 million arena being added to McCormick Place in Chicago. DePaul needs a winning program to fill all those shiny new seats. Hiring a top coach will be necessary to revitalize the program and produce a consistent winning record. If Hurley doesn't take the job there are other options.

It's a very narrow view to believe that crappy programs forever remain crappy and good programs forever remain good.

It may be narrow minded and there are obviously exceptions, but stats prove it is largely true. I can't find the article and it is a different sport, but I remember reading that a large majority of programs that make a bowl game also do the next season/did the prior season. I think its a safe bet that its also the case for college basketball in regards to the NCAA tournament.

You said it yourself. If Hurley doesn't take the job, its because there are other options. Because DePaul isn't that attractive of an option (if you're concerned with factors other than money and your goal is to be a top college coach).

This is timely given the context of the discussion.

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN 14m14 minutes ago

Bradley has fired Geno Ford, he told ESPN.

What next for Ford? At least he got paid, but not really given that he had to pay 1.2 million back to Can't St.

In 4 seasons, he made 2.8 million. Would have made 1.2 million at Can't St. With the 1.2 million owed, the career decision only netted 400k and is now unemployed.

I would hope that Ford had an indemnification clause in his Bradley contract putting Bradley on the hook for those funds. If not, he has a malpractice claim against his lawyer. I never quite got that move. I think Bradley's last god team had Hersey Hawkins on it!

Hurley is not long for the MAC. With the team he has coming back, he might be wise to sit tight if the right offer does not come, but that's pretty rare.

This is timely given the context of the discussion.

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 14m14 minutes ago

Bradley has fired Geno Ford, he told ESPN.

What next for Ford? At least he got paid, but not really given that he had to pay 1.2 million back to Can't St.

In 4 seasons, he made 2.8 million. Would have made 1.2 million at Can't St. With the 1.2 million owed, the career decision only netted 400k and is now unemployed.

Really happy about that, Geno's family is a super bunch of people but he has strayed from that mold of common decency and commitment. My wife is from the Cambridge area and her family was / is friends with the Ford family so I learned a little bit along the way about the Fords. Going forward I hope that the Muskingum job is his only and best option. He's a rat.

It may be narrow minded and there are obviously exceptions, but stats prove it is largely true. I can't find the article and it is a different sport, but I remember reading that a large majority of programs that make a bowl game also do the next season/did the prior season. I think its a safe bet that its also the case for college basketball in regards to the NCAA tournament.

You said it yourself. If Hurley doesn't take the job, its because there are other options. Because DePaul isn't that attractive of an option (if you're concerned with factors other than money and your goal is to be a top college coach).

Just to close this part of the Hurley discussion out, I think that you and I differ in this only on degree. You seem to to be saying that DePaul is absolutely a total lost cause under any circumstances and I'm just saying that's not necessarily true, that it could have a successful program with the right coach and the right backing from the university. We both agree that Hurley can probably do better than DePaul with another school that has a greater chance of success with him as coach.

• Like 1

I would hope that Ford had an indemnification clause in his Bradley contract putting Bradley on the hook for those funds. If not, he has a malpractice claim against his lawyer.

An indemnification clause doesn't fit this situation. I'm sure there was a contractual agreement with Bradley to cover that expense. If the client (Ford) never had an attorney put that agreement in writing, there's no "malpractice". And good luck collecting on it if someone tried.

An indemnification clause doesn't fit this situation. I'm sure there was a contractual agreement with Bradley to cover that expense. If the client (Ford) never had an attorney put that agreement in writing, there's no "malpractice". And good luck collecting on it if someone tried.

We can agree to disagree, but in any event, I think Bradley is on the hook for Ford's debt.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12553903/bobby-hurley-buffalo-bulls-front-runner-depaul-blue-demons-job?src=mobile&rand=ref~{%22ref%22%3A%22http%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2FN9Z2nlswxM%22}

Zach Jackson's thoughts:

Zac Jackson @FSOhioZJackson 4m4 minutes ago

If Hurley is in hurry to take DePaul after just two years as head coach with what he has coming back to Buffalo, it's just about the money

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12553903/bobby-hurley-buffalo-bulls-front-runner-depaul-blue-demons-job?src=mobile&rand=ref~{%22ref%22%3A%22http%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2FN9Z2nlswxM%22}

Zach Jackson's thoughts:

Zac Jackson ‏@FSOhioZJackson 4m4 minutes ago

If Hurley is in hurry to take DePaul after just two years as head coach with what he has coming back to Buffalo, it's just about the money

He can and likely will take some recruits and players with him.

The deal would put Hurley above the $550,000-a-year base-salary contract that Saul Phillips receives from Ohio University. All the of the increased money UB would give Hurley was raised from university donors over the past two or three weeks, a source told The News.

Now that's stepping up. Good to see in the MAC.

The deal would put Hurley above the $550,000-a-year base-salary contract that Saul Phillips receives from Ohio University. All the of the increased money UB would give Hurley was raised from university donors over the past two or three weeks, a source told The News.

Now that's stepping up. Good to see in the MAC.

According to ESPN, it is not a done deal and indicates Hurley has an interview with DePaul.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12555232/bobby-hurley-agreed-new-deal-buffalo-bulls-source

Maybe I'm really showing my age, but I still view DePaul as a prime job. Yeah, they haven't done anything lately, but they really have a good (great?) tradition & they're located in downtown Chicago. Recruiting wise, Hurley could build an annual Sweet 16 team without ever having to drive more than 15 miles from campus.

Interesting game, UB had their chances. I'm not a fan of the style of basketball that WV was playing yesterday. I hope the silver lining is that Hurley stays in the MAC.

Last night was a good example of why I don't like WV's style of play. UB would have, and did give UK a better game.

Notre Dame handled Witchita State rather easily last night. The Fighting Irish are in the Elite Eight, their only close call being a narrow first-round win against Buffalo.

You mean Northeastern. They looked pretty good last night. Size will be a huge issue vs Kentucky though.