BJ Gladden Transferring

Akron1

Good luck to BJ, seems like a nice young man.

As for the Zips, it should allow Jackson/Ivey more time, so we'll be in good shape. I predicted BJ would start and be a major player by midseason, but I think he underwhelmed a bit. It will be interesting to see how he does elsewhere.

Also - not sure why OP brought up Noah...?

I really thought that BJ had a high ceiling with the Zips, that he made clear progress from the beginning to the end of the season, and that he would have done much better if he hadn't been injured. But the reality of college basketball today is that more and more players are transferring for a variety of reasons. It's a shame that he'll have to sit out a year at another D-I school and, due to his redshirt season, have only two seasons of eligibility left.

I suppose there's at least a glimmer of hope that his injury has him down right now and that he'll rethink this and end up returning to the Zips next season. If not, he's creating a big opening for Peter Agba to step in and get significant minutes as a true freshman. That would change the chemistry of the team as BJ is more of a slashing wing and Peter is more of a power forward who lives in the paint. The Zips would need to find someone else who can drive the lane and finish at the rim -- maybe Jimond or Josh?

I imagine next years team to be a lot like some of KD's old teams with 3 guards. Playing inside out ball. Hope either Ivy or Williams is ready to contribute right away.

Williams comes in more highly regarded in recruiting circles than Robotham was last year, so I'd say his expectation will be to play big minutes right away, possibly even starting at the 2.

There's no curse. The Zips have gained as much or more than they've lost -- Pat Forsythe, Quincy Diggs, Brian Walsh, Nick Dials, etc. Transferring is a way of life in college basketball these days, so might as well get used to it. Take a look through the list of more than 400 known transfers on VerbalCommits.com. Toledo has 3 players on that list; Miami, Ball State, Eastern Michigan and Northern Illinois each have 2; Buffalo, Central Michigan, Ohio and Bowling Green each have 1, etc.

I liked BJ and I think he has a potentially high ceiling, but to say he was underwhelming last year would be putting it mildly. KD did everything he could to give BJ confidence last season, including moving him into the starting lineup for a bit. But, BJ never could get it jumpstarted. Honestly, I'm kinda glad we've now got that scholarship freed up.

I would have guessed the average number of transfers among all colleges to be somewhere between 1 and 2 per season. That 2.6 average shows how sheltered Zips fans have been until just the last few seasons. I'd still consider predicting a minimum of 4 transfers from UA to be a stretch. I could imagine more players talking about transferring than actually doing it.

• Like 1