Bobby Hurley

gozips19

I don't like Bobby, but I really like hurling insults at him. They have such talent that they will be back in the mix next year, unless they hire someone awful.

They could end up like Ohio was this year. Plenty of talent, but too many coaches in a short amount of time kept everything from coming together.

I agree Hurley may have done some good at UB, but lets not forget that their program was pretty decent in the MAC before he got there. He may have raised the bar some but its not like they were all that far from doing what they did this year in some years prior. I know I can remember two MAC Championship game losses for the Bulls pre-Hurley. I know its not the same as the championship Hurley finally got (partially with his guys, partially not)for them but they haven't been that far from it for a number of years now.

I agree Hurley may have done some good at UB, but lets not forget that their program was pretty decent in the MAC before he got there. He may have raised the bar some but its not like they were all that far from doing what they did this year in some years prior. I know I can remember two MAC Championship game losses for the Bulls pre-Hurley. I know its not the same as the championship Hurley finally got (partially with his guys, partially not)for them but they haven't been that far from it for a number of years now.

I agree. I hope people aren't out there thinking he built a program or anything. This Bulls program had been consistently good for years. This time, they just happened to win the title. And they only had to win 2 basketball games to do that. It's not some Herculean feat. But titles often get more attention, without people noticing the details.

I wouldn't read much into this. Bucky is a bit of a hack and presented one side of the story based on unsubstantiated sources and no attempt to follow up with the department or White. I view this column as not much more than click bait. He's got a clear bias against Danny White and his articles tend to promote whatever narrative he can against White, the department, and the NYBI.

Bull Run does a good job picking this one apart.

http://www.ubbullrun.com/2015/4/10/8380999/the-buffalo-news-are-losing-a-punching-bag-but-they-take-a-few-shots

I'm not pleased that Hurley is gone, but, like the rest of the teams in this conference, can't compete with the P5 and the salaries and exposure they offer.

Shoulda stuck with the loyal guy you had before. It's sure worked for us. Now you guys will have to deal with the rollercoaster.

Well, that wasn't much of a roller coaster:

http://www.ubbulls.com/sports/mbkb/2014-15/releases/20150411fqi2n1

And I was a big Reggie fan over the years, but comparing him and Dambrot doesn't work. Reggie was constantly solid, but never got over the hump. I'm no fan of Dambrot, but he's brought Akron to the point that MAC titles are expected. Letting Reggie go was definitely the right move.

That's certainly a concern with Lamonte Bearden and Maurice O'Field, but I think it's secured the Bulls' core group. Losing Bearden would hurt, but having 2 great PGs is a rare luxury anyways. With O'Field, it's anyone's guess.

It sounds like Nick Perkins is fully committed to staying with UB. Nate Navigato is less certain, but Oats has already been in contact with him and he hasn't decommitted.

I think Bulls fans are very happy with the hire on the whole. Oats could definitely be around a while longer than Hurley, too. Even if he has similar success, he doesn't have the 'on everyone's radar' aura that Hurley had. I think MAC fans will find him much more tolerable on the sidelines as well.

Well, that wasn't much of a roller coaster:

No, I wasn't implying that you were ON a roller coaster. I am saying that the Roller Coaster is ahead.

Reggie may not have gotten you the Jackpot, but you guys traded stability for instability. The departure of the next coach after only 2 years could easily send you down the OU path, and take years to recover.

No, I wasn't implying that you were ON a roller coaster. I am saying that the Roller Coaster is ahead.

Reggie may not have gotten you the Jackpot, but you guys traded stability for instability. The departure of the next coach after only 2 years could easily send you down the OU path, and take years to recover.

The MAC is a roller coaster. Very few programs in this conference have stability.....this conference is a coaching stepping stone.

As Akron fans we are very lucky to have a coach that has no reason to leave. KD is from here, went here and makes a TON of money to coach here. And has NO REASON to ever leave here.

Bobby is a really good coach. He wants to coach at the big time level, and will.

It won't take years for OU to recover, they'll be much more competitive next year, I expect UB to experience some challenges next year though. I'm surprised Buffalo didn't follow Ohio's model and hire up after Hurley's departure and go for a head coach with experience for top MAC money that they may not have been able to attract 2 years ago. Hiring the top assistant is the safe move for the short term but I thought their AD would be more ambitious.

• Like 1

I guess I'm still not clear what Bobby Hurley has done to establish himself as a great coach other than have the name Bobby Hurley. He took over an underachieving team with great talent.

In his first season, he had a 19-10 overall record and 13-5 in the MAC. Took the 3 seed and lost their first game of the MAC tournament.

In his second season, he had a 23-10 overall record and 12-6 in the MAC. Took the 2 seed (barely--could easily have been a 5 seed) and won 2 games in the MAC tournament to get to the big dance. They lost their first round NCAA game. It was close, but I believe here on ZN.O we have a term for an almost win--we call it a loss.

If Bobby Hurley's name is Joe Fabitz, he's still at Buffalo.

As to Buffalo taking this opportunity to get some great coach, again, they went to one tournament and lost. OU went to multiple, including a Sweet 16 run, and got Jim Christian.

I guess I'm still not clear what Bobby Hurley has done to establish himself as a great coach other than have the name Bobby Hurley. He took over an underachieving team with great talent.

In his first season, he had a 19-10 overall record and 13-5 in the MAC. Took the 3 seed and lost their first game of the MAC tournament.

In his second season, he had a 23-10 overall record and 12-6 in the MAC. Took the 2 seed (barely--could easily have been a 5 seed) and won 2 games in the MAC tournament to get to the big dance. They lost their first round NCAA game. It was close, but I believe here on ZN.O we have a term for an almost win--we call it a loss.

If Bobby Hurley's name is Joe Fabitz, he's still at Buffalo.

As to Buffalo taking this opportunity to get some great coach, again, they went to one tournament and lost. OU went to multiple, including a Sweet 16 run, and got Jim Christian.

Not really going out on a limb here, but I'd bet Bobby Hurley will have more tourney wins in his career than all current MAC coaches combined. He can coach.

• Like 1

Shoulda stuck with the loyal guy you had before. It's sure worked for us. Now you guys will have to deal with the rollercoaster.

Witherspoon was a mediocre coach. 14 seasons was more than enough time to prove he could win something meaningful. And he couldn't do it.

I'd rather ride the rollercoaster than walk on the treadmill.

• Like 2