Bobby Hurley

gozips19

Not really going out on a limb here, but I'd bet Bobby Hurley will have more tourney wins in his career than all current MAC coaches combined. He can coach.

I agree with this but only because sometimes you can finish 5th, 6th, or 7th in a power conference and still get a shot at winning NCAA tourney games.

They need to put a limit on how many teams one conference can send. If you can't finish better than 5th in your own league and you don't win your conference tourney then why should you get to play in the tourney for the national title?

I agree with this but only because sometimes you can finish 5th, 6th, or 7th in a power conference and still get a shot at winning NCAA tourney games.

They need to put a limit on how many teams one conference can send. If you can't finish better than 5th in your own league and you don't win your conference tourney then why should you get to play in the tourney for the national title?

Maybe because 7th or 8th in some leagues are better than the champs of other leagues. The NCAA is doing us mid-majors a favor by throwing a bone to each conference champ, let's not get greedy.

In spite of being in a conference with a greater chance at earning an at-large bid Arizona State still has fewer total NCAA Tournament appearances than schools like Weber State and Murray State. Compared to the MAC they would be tied for 2nd. ASU has the same number of tournament appearances in the last 20yrs as Akron, Miami and Ohio.

The path to sustained success will not be easier for Hurley in Tempe.

I guess I'm still not clear what Bobby Hurley has done to establish himself as a great coach other than have the name Bobby Hurley. He took over an underachieving team with great talent.

In his first season, he had a 19-10 overall record and 13-5 in the MAC. Took the 3 seed and lost their first game of the MAC tournament.

In his second season, he had a 23-10 overall record and 12-6 in the MAC. Took the 2 seed (barely--could easily have been a 5 seed) and won 2 games in the MAC tournament to get to the big dance. They lost their first round NCAA game. It was close, but I believe here on ZN.O we have a term for an almost win--we call it a loss.

If Bobby Hurley's name is Joe Fabitz, he's still at Buffalo.

As to Buffalo taking this opportunity to get some great coach, again, they went to one tournament and lost. OU went to multiple, including a Sweet 16 run, and got Jim Christian.

Akron's NCAA tourney results under KD

2009 Lost to Gonzaga 77-64

2011 Lost to Notre Dame 69-56

2013 Lost to VCU 88-42

WVU 68

Buff 62.

Hurley's first appearance they lose by 6.

KD is at Akron cause his resume aint that good!

Maybe because 7th or 8th in some leagues are better than the champs of other leagues. The NCAA is doing us mid-majors a favor by throwing a bone to each conference champ, let's not get greedy.

I was not talking about which teams are better. I was talking about which teams had better seasons. That is a big difference.

I am not against power conferences getting their top three or even four in but when teams that lost nearly as much as they won in their league I am not for them getting in.

Probably the wrong thread for this but...I always hear the argument that middle of the pack teams in power conferences are better than top teams in so-called 'mid-majors'. I don't necessarily disagree with that assessment but I do think we should question why that is and how change can come about.

To me if you limit the number of at-large teams any conference can get in it would create more opportunity to mid-majors, and to a lesser degree low-majors. If more non-power teams got in annually you would then see the talent level and recruiting abilities of those programs and conferences rise to create a little more parity. While some say we should be glad a bone is thrown our way I say that if there was more inclusion then no bones would need thrown in the first place because the level of competition would slowly become more equal. That's not saying that it would ever be completely equal in perception or talent just that it would be much more so than it is now. To me that would be a 'win' not just to the non-power schools but to the sport overall since more than just a few dozen of its 351 programs could be nationally viable in any given season or few seasons.

The national debate regarding whether to give an opportunity to a really good team out of a mid-major conference vs. a weak team out of a "more highly regarded" conference will go on. It's frustrated me ever since I've been a Zips fan.

The argument gets even stronger for our side when you witness a year like 2015, where a ridiculous 7 teams are given admission to the tournament from a conference here in the Midwest, and 5 of them are gone BEFORE WE EVEN REACH THE END OF THE FIRST WEEKEND.

Please, give me the #2 team in the MAC over the #7 team in the friggin Big 10.....ANY day. The tournament would increase it's value to sports fans nationwide.

Unfortunately, attendance money and size of fanbase rules the day. We may never be able to change that.

The national debate regarding whether to give an opportunity to a really good team out of a mid-major conference vs. a weak team out of a "more highly regarded" conference will go on. It's frustrated me ever since I've been a Zips fan.

The argument gets even stronger for our side when you witness a year like 2015, where a ridiculous 7 teams are given admission to the tournament from a conference here in the Midwest, and 5 of them are gone BEFORE WE EVEN REACH THE END OF THE FIRST WEEKEND.

Please, give me the #2 team in the MAC over the #7 team in the friggin Big 10.....ANY day. The tournament would increase it's value to sports fans nationwide.

Unfortunately, attendance money and size of fanbase rules the day. We may never be able to change that.

lol its convenient you left out that two teams from the B1G made up half of the final 4. Maybe if the MAC champion didn't lose/get blown out most years the committee would give them a better look. Doing something in the OOC besides losing against average power 5 teams at best (let me know where Penn St finished this year) would help as well. If you're good enough, earn it, then prove it. Nobody should get handouts.

People were crying about UCLA getting in over the likes of ODU and others this year. UCLA made the sweet 16.

No LZip, I didn't conveniently leave out the fact that two of them made it to the final 4. It's actually precisely my point.

I'm sure there's some frustration that the school that you so vehemently defend on an Akron Forum has only an Overtime win over a former Akron assistant as their lone win in the last two tournaments, but good teams are good teams, and good overall conferences with considerable depth is an entirely different issue.

Try to make the latter point when your beloved Big 10 had one legitimate title contender, and a 2nd team that made a remarkable run before being exposed and destroyed by a bunch of Freshmen.

Nobody is raving that the WCC deserves more bids because Gonzaga is a part of the conference. You reward good teams. You don't reward entire conferences because they had a good team.

Four or five seemed warranted. Seven was ridiculous.

dirtyolcrowe said: (Post #30)

2013 Lost to VCU 88-42

WVU 68

Buff 62

You quoted my post in your reply. So, if I understand this right...

My Question was: What has Bobby Hurley done to establish himself as a great coach?

Your answer: He's better than Keith Dambrot (whose resume ain't that good).

???

The Indiana Hoosiers would beat any MAC school 7 out of 10 times on any floor, any day of the week.

I agree with this, but I agree with this because of the way the landscape is now. That is the problem. We have teams finishing 7th and 8th that either are, or are at least perceived to be, better than champions of other conferences. Putting in a conference cap rule for participants in the NCAA tourney would give extra opportunities to schools outside the autonomous Power 5 and thus make a wider variety of destinations attractive to potential recruits. I see that as a good thing, not just for the non-power schools but also for the sport overall.

dirtyolcrowe said: (Post #30)

2013 Lost to VCU 88-42

WVU 68

Buff 62

You quoted my post in your reply. So, if I understand this right...

My Question was: What has Bobby Hurley done to establish himself as a great coach?

Your answer: He's better than Keith Dambrot (whose resume ain't that good).

???

yep!!!

who would you rather have Hurley or Dambrot????

and yes...his resume aint that good. outside of mac play and great head to head battles with coppin st or umbc?

what are his key wins?

temple in NIT????

go ahead! i'm listening

The #2 team in the MAC this year, actually the #1 team of the regular season, didn't deserve. At-large bids are given to teams, not conferences. The conference plays a factor in that it either provides enough competition to justify an at-large or it doesn't. The MAC is strong enough to justify another bid, but not for a team that finishes 12-6 in conference and only plays 1 non conference team with an RPI better than 274.

• Like 1

No LZip, I didn't conveniently leave out the fact that two of them made it to the final 4. It's actually precisely my point.

I'm sure there's some frustration that the school that you so vehemently defend on an Akron Forum has only an Overtime win over a former Akron assistant as their lone win in the last two tournaments, but good teams are good teams, and good overall conferences with considerable depth is an entirely different issue.

Try to make the latter point when your beloved Big 10 had one legitimate title contender, and a 2nd team that made a remarkable run before being exposed and destroyed by a bunch of Freshmen.

Nobody is raving that the WCC deserves more bids because Gonzaga is a part of the conference. You reward good teams. You don't reward entire conferences because they had a good team.

Four or five seemed warranted. Seven was ridiculous.

I couldn't give a shit about B1G basketball or OSU basketball, nor did I mention anything at all about OSU in my previous post. Please keep going on with your weird infatuation with them though.

"Getting exposed and destroyed by a bunch of Freshman". LOL. You mean the freshman who won the national title. 3 of which are going pro (most likely in the first round)?

dirtyolcrowe wrote (Post #41):

yep!!! who would you rather have Hurley or Dambrot???? and yes...his resume aint that good. outside of mac play and great head to head battles with coppin st or umbc? what are his key wins? temple in NIT???? go ahead! i'm listening

(Sorry, quote function doesn't work on my work computer.)

You may be listening, but you obviously aren't reading. I am NOT defending Dambrot. I'd support dumping him in a heartbeat if we had a better option. I am frustrated by the stagnancy of the program and its inability to shed its small time feel.

I AM asking what Hurley has done to be considered a great coach. The only argument I have seen so far is that he's better than a coach that the poster considers to be unimpressive. If the definition of "great" is "better than crap", then I'm great at almost everything. (Almost.)

The #2 team in the MAC this year, actually the #1 team of the regular season, didn't deserve. At-large bids are given to teams, not conferences. The conference plays a factor in that it either provides enough competition to justify an at-large or it doesn't. The MAC is strong enough to justify another bid, but not for a team that finishes 12-6 in conference and only plays 1 non conference team with an RPI better than 274.

My argument isn't that the MAC always deserves to get in multiple teams, my point is that teams that finish 6th or 7th in their own conferences shouldn't get in over top mid-majors. This year the MAC champ may not have proven themselves to be a top mid-major, there are many other years where the MAC regular season champ may be though. I do think schools like Old Dominion, Louisiana Tech, and Colorado State would have been good invites this year over barely .500 in conference P5 teams though.

dirtyolcrowe wrote (Post #41):

yep!!! who would you rather have Hurley or Dambrot???? and yes...his resume aint that good. outside of mac play and great head to head battles with coppin st or umbc? what are his key wins? temple in NIT???? go ahead! i'm listening

(Sorry, quote function doesn't work on my work computer.)

You may be listening, but you obviously aren't reading. I am NOT defending Dambrot. I'd support dumping him in a heartbeat if we had a better option. I am frustrated by the stagnancy of the program and its inability to shed its small time feel.

I AM asking what Hurley has done to be considered a great coach. The only argument I have seen so far is that he's better than a coach that the poster considers to be unimpressive. If the definition of "great" is "better than crap", then I'm great at almost everything. (Almost.)

I will defend coach Dambrot. He has successfully stayed on or near the top of the MAC for ten years. This is no mean

feat considering that most MAC players come from the same talent pool. They are largely two star talent.

On rare occasion a three or four star gets recruited by a MAC team. The power conference teams rarely dip to the three star level.

Recruiting is a science sprinkled with luck. Some top echelon schools recruit by paying their players. You just do not

know how its done. Well, it is done. That makes the ego maniac coach a bum. A rich and successful bum. So what?

You raise your own children to lie and cheat? You do? Pray tell.

There are any number of measuring sticks for coaches. One of them, integrity, is the most important.

I wish Bob Hurley well. It would have been nice to see just how successful of a coach he can be by coaching Buffalo.

Instead, we get to watch him on a bigger stage. Well, not a really big stage such as the Big Ten or the SEC or the ACC.

Bobby's brother struggles and is slightly successfully at Rhode Island. A program not far above the Zips in the pecking

order. Bobby's ego will either make him rich or drive him to drink; maybe both.

As for Bobby Hurley being a better coach than Dambrot, there is precious little to prove that. Keith Dambrot is respected and well liked in the coaching circles. Bobby is mostly intensely disliked. So much for fleeting fame.

It is not really about your coaching tree or even your wins and loses. It really is about integrity or which Reggie Weatherspoon has a ton and Hurley none.

Bobby is mostly intensely disliked.

As a fan, I could care less. Ask an Indiana fan if they cared that Bobby Knight was disliked. Ask a Patriots fan if they care if Belichick is disliked. Billy Martin, Earl Weaver and on and on...I want a coach that wins, and wins big. I don't care what his acceptance level is at the barber shop. Hell the coach I root for used to be looked down upon at a time in his career. I do agree, and wish we could have seen what Hurley did at Buffalo for a larger time sample. The interest and comments in this thread alone tell you all you need to know about why he was good for the MAC. We need to get back to a higher level of student athlete in the MAC. Maybe some day Hurley will be back in the MAC. Wouldn't it be ironic if it were at Akron?

Dr. Z.....I remember seeing Bobby Knight being asked once if it was more important that he was Liked or that he was Respected.

He didn't hesitate, and emphatically said....Respected.

I think Hurley is a jerk. So was Knight. But, years later I even started respecting Knight more. He got a lot of out his players, made them go to school, built character, made them behave themselves, and built a giant of a program. Although he had faults, he also had tons of attributes that I wish every coach had today. Maybe someday we will find that underneath all of Hurley's faults he ends up being good for college basketball, and good for the young men he molds.

But.....I enjoyed the two years I spent yelling at him to Sit Down and Shut Up !!!!