New transfer: RB Tyreek Hill

I am well aware of all this. I was simply stating why Bowden feels that he needs to take a risk on such a potential PR nightmare.

I guess I should have included post, like Janoris, talent level is probably the answer. I'm not real concerned about a "PR nightmare," we are lucky to have someone be interested in the team let alone the players that are on the team. Was Tree considered a PR nightmare? I really don't think the bb program suffered any tangible consequences (other than a talent loss on the court). If Hill ended up getting booted from the team...bah, who really notices? If he rushes for 1,000+ and takes us to a bowl game, I would guess a few more notice. Risk and reward. AA on the bball team would be another supporting example.

Dr. Z - remember Western Cult - very Machiavellian. I have to trust Bowden on this one. The RB coach better have daily conversations and visits with this kid as should others. Not one bad word/act or bye - model student athlete or shove off. I am reminded of Faust's troubles with troublemakers and JD's too. Both were fired. Hope it works out for everyone.

I can't believe no one is talking about the elephant in the room.

Demetrius Treadwell was almost immediately suspended on a domestic violence accusation but it's ok to bring in a transfer football player who has not only been charged with domestic violence but a judge thought there was enough evidence to warrant a trial.

Embarrassing.

Bowden plays by a different set of rules than KD and everyone else because they are so desperate to put butts in seats at Infocision.

Pretrial date set for May 1.

Former Oklahoma State football and track star Tyreek Hill's pretrial date was set for May 1, Judge Stephen Kistler said in a courtroom at Payne County District Courthouse on Friday afternoon. Hill entered a plea of not guilty on felony charges of domestic assault and battery by strangulation.

Hill does not have to appear at his pretrial on May 1 because he currently lives in Georgia with his grandparents. The pretrial will be used to determine whether a trial will be held at an unspecified time in June.

Ramsey also said Hill has to appear on June 19 for a separate court date.

I think there is probably a good possibility of a plea bargain. If the girlfriend isn't willing to cooperate it would make the prosecutors job difficult. I predict the charge being reduced to a misdemeanor and him getting sentenced to an anger management program or community service.

I'm not defending what Hill did, but the legal system very rarely comes down hard on first time offenders. Right now he is just moving through the system. The courts usually give first timers a severe scolding and put them into a treatment program. If they complete the program, the charges are dismissed or reduced. Just because he is a high profile defendant doesn't change the way the system works.

• 4 months later...

Pleads guilty to domestic assault and get 3 years probation - it appears as though he'll be playing somewhere in 2016.

Hill is not enrolled in school and will not play this season. He plans to go back to school and resume his playing career but hasn't decided where he will go. A condition of his probation is that he works full time or attends school.

• 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Good example of Bowden trying to get NFL talent to Akron. 

For those that forget the situation. From wiki

On April 16, 2015, Hill announced via Twitter that he was planning on attending Akron.

On September 1, 2015, the University of West Alabama announced that Tyreek Hill enrolled and would play football for the Tigers during the 2015 season.] West Alabama head coach Brett Gilliland has stated that he initially turned down Hill's, saying that after he read the police report detailing how he choked and hit his girlfriend. After getting to know Hill personally, he spoke to people at Oklahoma State, Hill's former coaches at Garden City, and a high school mentor. He was also swayed by a part of the plea deal that required Hill to either attend school full-time or be employed.

Hill was projected to go undrafted during the 2016 NFL Draft, mainly due to his domestic violence arrest. Although he was not invited to the NFL combine, he was able to showcase his abilities at West Alabama's Pro Day. Scouts were mainly impressed with his speed and he received much praise for his workout. Regardless of his workout, many teams had completely removed Hill from their draft boards, but his head coach from West Alabama maintained that at least 20 teams were still interested in him.

• 2 weeks later...

This is funny...

I usually don't pay attention to a lot of the recruiting threads, unless I know the player who's being discussed.  But, I saw the highlights of the Chiefs/Raiders game, and was wondering why his name sounded so familiar to me.  I had no idea why......until I logged into Zips Nation this morning.

Mystery Solved :D

• 2 weeks later...

It would have been very exciting to see him play here and I'm quasi-enjoying following him since he was supposed to come here, but I just wonder what the bad press would have been like and if it would have been worth it. I'm not sure the Mixon stuff Stoops is dealing with is worth it. Chiefs are taking some heat as well with Hill now that he is on the national stage.

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

It would have been very exciting to see him play here and I'm quasi-enjoying following him since he was supposed to come here, but I just wonder what the bad press would have been like and if it would have been worth it. I'm not sure the Mixon stuff Stoops is dealing with is worth it. Chiefs are taking some heat as well with Hill now that he is on the national stage.

I can't say I disagree.

3 hours ago, LZIp said:

Did you hear Musberger blow a gasket last night defending Mixon?:rofl:

If a school as prominent as Oklahoma can play a kid like Mixon, the Zips could certainly have given someone like Hill a second chance.