Oh, Cardale! You're so funny!

K92

• 3 weeks later...

The city of Cleveland has the highest number of OSWho alums of any city in the country, outside of Cowlumbus.

A good fact to know for those who harp about not being able to get the fans up by the lake to come to Akron football games, when the Browns are doing poorly.

Informative, but I guess it makes sense. Who in their right mind would choose Cinci over Cleveland?

• 1 month later...

Cardale is feeling so frisky right now

Barrett's Job to Lose: Barrett will win the job, sooner or later. And probably sooner. Barrett, will be a full go when preseason camp begins in August. That means Barrett will be in a full sprint to catch Jones, who has opened a big lead considering he’s been the only healthy Buckeyes QB since Barrett went down. Several coaches indicated they believe that Barrett, a redshirt sophomore from Texas, will retake the starting job during August camp or early in the season, at the latest. “He’s the guy. He’s a dog,” one coach familiar with the Buckeyes' situation said. “The [team] recognizes what kind of player and leader [barrett] is and they’ll rally behind him and play for him. It’s nothing against those other guys, who are very, very talented, but [barrett] is the total package. He’s got to be the guy.”

Barrett's Job to Lose: Barrett will win the job, sooner or later. And probably sooner. Barrett, will be a full go when preseason camp begins in August. That means Barrett will be in a full sprint to catch Jones, who has opened a big lead considering he’s been the only healthy Buckeyes QB since Barrett went down. Several coaches indicated they believe that Barrett, a redshirt sophomore from Texas, will retake the starting job during August camp or early in the season, at the latest. “He’s the guy. He’s a dog,” one coach familiar with the Buckeyes' situation said. “The [team] recognizes what kind of player and leader [barrett] is and they’ll rally behind him and play for him. It’s nothing against those other guys, who are very, very talented, but [barrett] is the total package. He’s got to be the guy.”

I guess Cardale really SHOULD have transferred to Akron if he wanted to start at QB this year...

The piece that you linked there is just as bad as anything Cardale said. He was apparently responding to trolls (whom themselves are probably ignorant on the topic since they're responding with the AllLivesMatter bit), but didn't do a good job of articulating the nuances of the BlackLivesMatter movment.

This is a rather articulate opinion Q&A on the topic.

When some people rejoin with “All Lives Matter” they misunderstand the problem, but not because their message is untrue. It is true that all lives matter, but it is equally true that not all lives are understood to matter which is precisely why it is most important to name the lives that have not mattered, and are struggling to matter in the way they deserve.

Perhaps Cardale should have been more, nuanced, in his response...but that piece written about it is atrociously simplistic.

#AllLivesMatter 1f630.pngwhy is it that the only ones getting beaten, killed when unarmed, & mysteriously dien in custody are African American

Cardale has his opinion and his right to freedom of speech BUT this comment I find offensive and ridiculous :nono::laugh_up:

African American's are NOT the only one's getting "beaten, killed and mysteriously dien"

There are plenty of people of all races dying, to include police officers and soldiers who are trying to protect us - unfortunately all of there stories don't make headlines.

OH, and regarding the "African American's dien" 90 percent of African American homicides are committed by African Americans.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2013/crime-in-the-u.s.-2013/offenses-known-to-law-enforcement/expanded-homicide/expanded_homicide_data_table_6_murder_race_and_sex_of_vicitm_by_race_and_sex_of_offender_2013.xls

Cardale has his opinion and his right to freedom of speech BUT this comment I find offensive and ridiculous :nono::laugh_up:

African American's are NOT the only one's getting "beaten, killed and mysteriously dien"

There are plenty of people of all races dying, to include police officers and soldiers who are trying to protect us - unfortunately all of there stories don't make headlines.

OH, and regarding the "African American's dien" 90 percent of African American homicides are committed by African Americans.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2013/crime-in-the-u.s.-2013/offenses-known-to-law-enforcement/expanded-homicide/expanded_homicide_data_table_6_murder_race_and_sex_of_vicitm_by_race_and_sex_of_offender_2013.xls

I'd invite you to read the Q&A I posted earlier, because you too are completely missing the point of the BlackLivesMatter monicer. Its about bringing attention to and discussing the unintentional (and in somecases perhaps intentional) systemic racism that exists in society, especially that which pertains to perceiving a threat:

One reason the chant “Black Lives Matter” is so important is that it states the obvious but the obvious has not yet been historically realized. So it is a statement of outrage and a demand for equality, for the right to live free of constraint, but also a chant that links the history of slavery, of debt peonage, segregation, and a prison system geared toward the containment, neutralization and degradation of black lives, but also a police system that more and more easily and often can take away a black life in a flash all because some officer perceives a threat.

Cardale wasn't nuanced in explaining this (his bad), but you also can't put too much stock into cherry-picked, twitter troll responses.

Balsy, DIG we are talking about two separate things.

1- The issue I take exception to is his comment about the only one's dien are african americans. That is totally inaccurate and I find it disrespectful to other people (of all races) that die every day unjustly and/or for a good cause.

SEPARATE TOPIC

blacklivesmatter - I understand what it is all about, why it was started and I am not debating it. I think people generally get the respect they deserve or should I say EARN (any race). Are there still issues, yes.

If you want to talk about what is going on in the streets today. I would like Cardale to explain the whole Freddy Gray debacle to me. Baltimore rioted and destroyed its own community over Freddie Gray. This was done before ANY of the facts of the arrest came out. Did any of these people give a damn about anyone's lives?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWJM2wZb1Ew

The fact is Freddie Gray was a criminal…he sold drugs…..likely sold drugs to kids and teenagers. Did he care about the lives of the people assaulted and sold drugs to?

• March 20, 2015: Possession of a Controlled Dangerous Substance
  • March 13, 2015: Malicious destruction of property, second-degree assault
  • January 20, 2015: Fourth-degree burglary, trespassing
  • January 14, 2015: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance, possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to distribute
  • December 31, 2014: Possession of narcotics with intent to distribute
  • December 14, 2014: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance
  • August 31, 2014: Illegal gambling, trespassing
  • January 25, 2014: Possession of marijuana
  • September 28, 2013: Distribution of narcotics, unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance, second-degree assault, second-degree escape
  • April 13, 2012: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to distribute, unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance, violation of probation
  • July 16, 2008: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance, possession with intent to distribute
  • March 28, 2008: Unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance
  • March 14, 2008: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to manufacture and distribute
  • February 11, 2008: Unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance, possession of a controlled dangerous substance
  • August 29, 2007: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to distribute, violation of probation
  • August 28, 2007: Possession of marijuana
  • August 23, 2007: False statement to a peace officer, unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance
  • July 16, 2007: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to distribute, unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance (2 counts)

I am not really that wrapped up because I take Cardale for what he is - an immature young athlete who will soon become a multimillionaire and now has a platform to tease the Zips and then speak about serious things as a teenager might do. Now that he has a BIG microphone and he wants to speak…..he is going to get challenged ;-) He needs to deal with it. I realize he is exaggerating but the point he appears to be trying to make is a bit hypocritical in my opinion.

Even though I hate the Buckeyes, I actually liked him and rooted for him when he was simply a 3rd string quarterback. The world is right again and I now have a reason to hate the buckeyes even more.

As for the "lives matter" crime conversation, I have a simple solution. Stop blaming the cops and take responsibility for your own actions.

That's a statement that completely white-washes the issue, which is why it's become a movement. It completely ignores the actions of overzealous police officials, over zealous escalation and the lack of dignity and respect given to a group of people due to the color of their skin. It also ignores institutional policies, like arrest quotas, that are inherently applied against one group of people rather than another. THAT's what this movement is about. These are all issues of which current members of law enforcement, as well as former members of law enforcement, have spoken about. It's not just one or two police officers, it's many who have spoken on this issue.

What's really unfortunate is that there are people seriously trying to deny that there is a problem.

I live in Chicago in an affluent neighborhood (Lincoln Park) and am a 40 something white guy, yet I know that a Chicago cop would very easily break the law to mess me up if he even thought that I disrespected him. I can't imagine what it must be like to be poor and black and without the legal resources to go after the cop. There are good cops, but there are a whole lot of rotten ones with grotesque senses of entitlement, power trips and intellects that barely register above literate. Did you know that the majority of metropolitan, county and state law enforcement agencies will disqualify a candidate for scoring too high on the intelligence test? This came out through subpoenaing the Wonderlic company during a Connecticut trial.

And BTW, police officer doesn't even make the top ten list of most dangerous or most deadly jobs in America.

That's a statement that completely white-washes the issue, which is why it's become a movement. It completely ignores the actions of overzealous police officials, over zealous escalation and the lack of dignity and respect given to a group of people due to the color of their skin. It also ignores institutional policies, like arrest quotas, that are inherently applied against one group of people rather than another. THAT's what this movement is about. These are all issues of which current members of law enforcement, as well as former members of law enforcement, have spoken about. It's not just one or two police officers, it's many who have spoken on this issue.

What's really unfortunate is that there are people seriously trying to deny that there is a problem.

No what it skip's comment speaks to is exactly what I said earlier. What has been "white-washed" in the media is that Freddie Gray was a perpetual criminal. The cops confronted him for a reason. What is "white washed" is that 90% of african american homicides were carried out by african americans (not the police).

No what it skip's comment speaks to is exactly what I said earlier. What has been "white-washed" in the media is that Freddie Gray was a perpetual criminal. The cops confronted him for a reason. What is "white washed" is that 90% of african american homicides were carried out by african americans (not the police).

You're right. He had a criminal past. However, nothing in his past nor the actions of the moment were death penalty worthy, particularly with the cop making the spur of the moment decision to be his judge, jury and executioner.

Just the incidents that I can remember off the top of my head in Chicago. We've had cops working as hit men for The Outfit. We've had cops confiscating guns and drugs from one gang and selling them to another. We had a drunk cop jump the bar and beat the shit out of a female bartender. We had a group of off-duty cops decide to beat the shit out of some commodity traders and when the on-duty cops showed up, they didn't break the fight up but shooed the civilians away so the beating could continue. We had a cop drink all night including multiple shots and then go kill a family on the highway. The cops who showed up on the scene whisked him back to the precinct and let him sleep in a cell for several hours before giving him a BAC. We had a multi-year, organized torture ring of cops that has cost the city tens of millions of dollars in settlements. In 2013 alone, taxpayers had to pay $84M because of police brutality. People are sick of it. These guys are NOT heroes. They're guys who do a job for a salary that few of them would ever be able to get near in the private sector. Nothing more.

It's not about how many african americans are killed by whom, that isn't the issue. Most white homicides were carried out by other whites too for that matter. But again, homicide rates aren't the issue. It's the blatant disregard of basic human dignity by police officials. Where any infraction is met with the highest possible reaction. A highest possible reaction that disproportionately affects the african american community.

It doesn't matter what opinion you, a law enforcement official, or fox news has of Freddie Gray. Freddie Gray (or any suspect for that matter)'s history is irrelavent. What is important is how a situation is handled. Baltimore PD, as well as federal investigators determined Gray had been illegally detained, and the officers involved have been charged. Everyone should be outraged when a suspect (not convicted of a crime in a court of law) is summarily punished by law enforcement officers or (in the case of Gray) killed.

Put the shoe on another foot: What if a white-man, practicing his 2nd amendment rights, was stopped by police., llegally searched and seized without probable cause; arrested and than subsequently killed on transport to the police station. You're telling me we shouldn't be outraged? We should be. The fact is, this doesn't happen to white people as often as it does to other racial minorities. That's a fact. And that's the reason for this movement. And that's why #AllLivesMatter is a rather ignorant and dismissive white-wash of a very real issue.

You're right. He had a criminal past. However, nothing in his past nor the actions of the moment were death penalty worthy, particularly with the cop making the spur of the moment decision to be his judge, jury and executioner.

Just the incidents that I can remember off the top of my head in Chicago. We've had cops working as hit men for The Outfit. We've had cops confiscating guns and drugs from one gang and selling them to another. We had a drunk cop jump the bar and beat the shit out of a female bartender. We had a group of off-duty cops decide to beat the shit out of some commodity traders and when the on-duty cops showed up, they didn't break the fight up but shooed the civilians away so the beating could continue. We had a cop drink all night including multiple shots and then go kill a family on the highway. The cops who showed up on the scene whisked him back to the precinct and let him sleep in a cell for several hours before giving him a BAC. We had a multi-year, organized torture ring of cops that has cost the city tens of millions of dollars in settlements. In 2013 alone, taxpayers had to pay $84M because of police brutality. People are sick of it. These guys are NOT heroes. They're guys who do a job for a salary that few of them would ever be able to get near in the private sector. Nothing more.

And the same thing happens to white people….it just does not make the headlines and people do not destroy their own city protesting. BTW - the police officers (who are both white and african american I might add) have not had THEIR day in court yet. The only thing we know at this point is what the media is putting out.

Put the shoe on another foot: What if a white-man, practicing his 2nd amendment rights, was stopped by police., llegally searched and seized without probable cause; arrested and than subsequently killed on transport to the police station. You're telling me we shouldn't be outraged? We should be. The fact is, this doesn't happen to white people as often as it does to other racial minorities. That's a fact. And that's the reason for this movement. And that's why #AllLivesMatter is a rather ignorant and dismissive white-wash of a very real issue.

What you site above DOES happen. The media does not make it a headline and cities are not destroyed in protest when it does happen. How often does an officer killed in the line of duty make headlines when killed by a criminal (white or black). NEVER!!! Why…..Because it does not serve the sympathetic liberal media.

I think the point that we need to focus on is that Police officers are not bad people. They're also not good people simply because they're police officers. There are bad police officers who give the rest a bad name. There are good police officers who do not get enough praise for what they do. Both of these facts, however, are not the issue of BlackLivesMatter.

BlackLivesMatter is an movement not to demonize police, but to bring attention to the fact (yes it is a fact a-zip) that there is both intentional and unintentional racism in law enforcement. There are many studies on the unintentional side, of unintentional racism that is, but what it ultimately boils down to is seeing people as people. The incidient in Cinncinnati demonstrates the problem: where a man, whom was black, was unarmed and non-violent, was shot and killed by a police officer in a simple traffic stop. The office proceeded to lie about what happened leading to the shooting, and is now charged with murder. Why did the police officer shoot and kill a clearly non-violent black man?

To act as if this is an isolated event, is woefully ignorant. To act as if this isn't a problem, is woefully ignorant. This is the reason the BlackLivesMatter movement has come into being. It has NOTHING to do with police officers being good or bad people.

My final two thoughts on the subject.

First, the African-American community should have used the slogan "black lives matter too." I think that would have made the sentiment crystal clear for all but those who are so blinded by racism as to be incapable of accepting anything.

Second, bad cops are more than just a few bad apples. Last year, Chicago taxpayers had to pay out $84.4 million dollars as a result of police brutality. The list of disgusting crap that CPD has pulled goes on and on, and that is just the stuff that got filmed or came out through other means. Is it every cop? No, but it's more than just a "few bad apples." And as bad as the actual rotten ones are, there is the overwhelming problem of the "blue wall of silence." You may not be corrupt, or a thug or trigger happy as a cop, but if you value and serve the needs of your "brothers" over that of the law and the taxpayers who have hired you to do a job, you are a bad cop and a huge part of the problem. It was very telling that the cops who showed up on the scene all lied to corroborate Tensing's story. They should be charged, charged with perjury, obstruction of justice and accessory after the fact. They should be prosecuted on felony charges and never be allowed to be cops again.