Game 1—Oklahoma

Man, what a weird game. The offense is whack-o, and the defense is outstanding. At the end of the day, I know we can take Pitt again. GO ZIPS!!!

The defense gave up 41 points. How many points would a mediocre defense have given up? How many would a poor one have given up?

The defense gave up 41 points. How many points would a mediocre defense have given up? How many would a poor one have given up?

So, the defense was mediocre tonight? 17-3 at the half and the offense couldn't stay on the field for more than five minutes of real time. That's pretty damn good. There isn't another team in the MAC that could play that poorly on offense and only give up 41 points.

There isn't a defense in the country that can make up for our atrocious offense. Pinning your hopes for success on your defense is foolish. It's 2015, not 1955. Today's offenses score points. Like I said last year, Gary Patterson figured this out. We haven't yet.

There isn't a defense in the country that can make up for our atrocious offense. Pinning your hopes for success on your defense is foolish. It's 2015, not 1955. Today's offenses score points. Like I said last year, Gary Patterson figured this out. We haven't yet.

When did I say that I was pinning my hopes of success on the defense? Just because I think we can beat Pitt doesn't mean we'll do it with only defense. No crap the offense has to be better. That's not a secret. Pitt gave up 37 to YSU today, and Oklahoma is a playoff contender. It's one game against one of the best teams in the country. Let's wait it out instead of giving up after one week like all of the Can't fans that already have on their team. A little faith goes a long way.

When did I say that I was pinning my hopes of success on the defense? Just because I think we can beat Pitt doesn't mean we'll do it with only defense. No crap the offense has to be better. That's not a secret. Pitt gave up 37 to YSU today, and Oklahoma is a playoff contender. It's one game against one of the best teams in the country. Let's wait it out instead of giving up after one week like all of the Can't fans that already have on their team. A little faith goes a long way.

Who's giving up?

After seeing this, and listening to Bowden in the postgame, it appears that he was going to stick to his plan to run the football, no matter what. And he was right that we had "some" success running the football.

Beyond that, absolutely nothing to be encouraged about with the offense. Pohl is still Pohl, and Chapman looks to be much more of a runner than a thrower.

Good News of the Day: Pitt struggled against Youngstown.

After seeing this, and listening to Bowden in the postgame, it appears that he was going to stick to his plan to run the football, no matter what. And he was right that we had "some" success running the football.

Beyond that, absolutely nothing to be encouraged about with the offense. Pohl is still Pohl, and Chapman looks to be much more of a runner than a thrower.

Good News of the Day: Pitt struggled against Youngstown.

The future for Akron is going to be a nightmare. Bowden must go. How do you recruit any type of offensive players when this is your plan. Receivers won't come because you have a QB who can't throw (poor Jerome Lane - he could be great). Running Backs won't come because you have a terrible QB who has more carries than a highly recruited back (how long before Hundley gets frustrated). So you recruit great defensive guys and lose every game even when they play well because you can't put up any points. Yesterday was disgusting and if this is what the future holds then Akron football will be following the Baseball program. Bowden and Milwee shame on both of you if this is the best you can do. Put all your eggs in the one basket.

Appeared to be a scrimmage game, with little regard to the outcome, for the Akron offense as it seemed to be used to determine who plays the rest of the way with all the QB substituting. Tough to take considering what Zips fans have been through (we at least would like to be competitive). I still say play Pohl the rest of the way and work the other guy into the offense as a badly needed playmaker and backup QB. This all should have been worked out by now. I talked to a few people on the streets about the Zips and they said 'no we don't follow them' and a game like this explains why.

The future for Akron is going to be a nightmare. Bowden must go. How do you recruit any type of offensive players when this is your plan. Receivers won't come because you have a QB who can't throw (poor Jerome Lane - he could be great). Running Backs won't come because you have a terrible QB who has more carries than a highly recruited back (how long before Hundley gets frustrated). So you recruit great defensive guys and lose every game even when they play well because you can't put up any points. Yesterday was disgusting and if this is what the future holds then Akron football will be following the Baseball program. Bowden and Milwee shame on both of you if this is the best you can do. Put all your eggs in the one basket.

Take a deep breath and relax.

Bowden took over a hell hole. You won 1 game in 2010, 2011, and 2012. Then a couple of 5 win seasons. There rest of this year your defense should keep you in every game. Your linebackers as a group are equal to or better than any the Sooners will play the rest of the way. Offense has a long way to go. Need skill player upgrades.

Pitt - play ball and get some offense and you can take them at home. Build on that win.

A bunch of Sooners are tallking smack but those that know football had good things to say.

A line of thought from Land Thieves where opponent compliments are as rare as hens teeth. I started it with this...see what happened.

"They have a good front 7. Look at the run stats. Their zero offense is hurting their d and their lack of depth."

"Point taken"

"They also have really good coaches."

"Actually they have one of the best group of LBers we will see this year."

"This ^^^ is actually valid."

"True. Akron is not a big dog, but they're not pushovers, either -- at least defensively."

Program turn arounds don't happen over night.

Bill Snyder at K State started off:

1-10

5-6

7-4

5-6

They then went on a streak of 11 straight bowl games.

Good thing they didn't can him after the 2nd 5-6

Valid point. The shocking thing with bowden is that he is bringing in BCS talent on defense, but he can't seem to recruit any offensive playmakers whatsoever. This is his fourth year and he has still not recruited a standout talent at qb, rb or wr.

• Like 1

Program turn arounds don't happen over night.

Bill Snyder at K State started off:

1-10

5-6

7-4

5-6

They then went on a streak of 11 straight bowl games.

Good thing they didn't can him after the 2nd 5-6

I remember some clowns on this board saying, as Rob Ianello rolled up his second consecutive 1-11 record, "Hey, look at Al Golden at Temple. Same thing. Let's not give up too quickly on Ianello because he might be 'The Next Al Golden'."

What Bill Snyder or Al Golden did at their respective schools has no bearing on the Zips.