NCAA proposes MBB rule changes

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12893128/ncaa-committee-calls-30-second-shot-clock-series-proposals-speed-games

Awaiting NCAA's Final Approval

Proposal to increase possessions and pace of play:
1. Reduce the shot clock to 30 seconds.

Proposed rules to reduce physicality:
1. Strict enforcement of defensive rules.
2. Providing offensive players same principles of verticality protections as defensive players.
3. Move restricted-area arc out from 3 to 4 feet.

Proposed changes related to timeouts:
1. Number of timeouts reduced from 5 to 4, with no more than 3 being carried over into second half
2. Stricter enforcement of resumption of play coming out of timeouts and after a player has fouled out.
3. Team timeouts within 30 seconds before media timeouts will become media timeouts, with exception of first team timeout in second half.

Not only would a 30-second clock shift the Zips offensive strategy at least slightly, strict enforcement of defensive rules would also force a shift to rely more on offense as the Zips would be forced to back off on defense to avoid fouling everyone out. It's absurd that the women play with a 30-second clock while the men lag behind with a 35-second clock.

Moving the shot clock to 30 seconds isn't going to change the game. Scoring has dropped in college hoops despite going from no shot clock, to 45 secs, to 35 secs., but 30 secs is going to change things? I'm fine with 30 seconds, but it's just one step closer to the clueless CBB media clamoring for it to be 24 seconds, just like the NBA. That's not a good thing. More scoring doesn't mean better basketball.

• Like 1

Agreed that it is ridiculous for the women to have a 30 second clock while the men have 35.

How about we have no shot clock or backcourt violations and make it like the AIAW women's basketball of my youth where they'd run a full court four corner offense to kill the clock. LOL.

I have no problem with the proposed changes.

I like teams getting rewarded for playing good defense. Most of these rules seem to be geared to helping the offenses. I don't mind the change in the shot clock but I thought the restricted area was fine the way it already was.

As far as timeouts go I think they were fine the way they were before.

It seems like everyone is trying to make sporting events take less time. I mean they even have a pitch clock in minor league baseball now. Am I the only one who enjoys sporting events enough that I want them not to be over so quickly? I enjoy going to see games. I find them entertaining and have a good time. Why do so many want to decrease time for entertainment and fun? Are we as a society now so busy or rushed that we must spend less time relaxing and recreating?

Why do so many want to decrease time for entertainment and fun?

I don't think it's many people that want this but the networks definitely do, so that events fit nicely into broadcast windows.

I like teams getting rewarded for playing good defense. Most of these rules seem to be geared to helping the offenses. I don't mind the change in the shot clock but I thought the restricted area was fine the way it already was.

As far as timeouts go I think they were fine the way they were before.

It seems like everyone is trying to make sporting events take less time. I mean they even have a pitch clock in minor league baseball now. Am I the only one who enjoys sporting events enough that I want them not to be over so quickly? I enjoy going to see games. I find them entertaining and have a good time. Why do so many want to decrease time for entertainment and fun? Are we as a society now so busy or rushed that we must spend less time relaxing and recreating?

The advent of the replay, abused by officials, necessitates a reduction in time outs. The games are not what they were even 3 years ago. There are WAY too many stoppages...even for games banished to the abyss of ESPN3.

Sitting with your thumb up your butt watching officials gather around the scorer's table for 5 minutes every time a low-post player holds his nose, or every time a 50/50 "Who's pinky did the ball deflect off?" out-of-bounds review occurs isn't entertaining or relaxing. It sucks.

Official reviews, and ESPN's desire to squeeze every possible advertising cent out of every sporting event, necessitates a time-out reduction. These extra stoppages are essentially time-outs anyhow.

While the game-minutes have not increased over the past few years, the overall game-time is becoming increasingly bloated and I'm glad it's being addressed.

• 3 months later...

There was an old saying often attributed to Ben Franklin: "Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy."

Below is proof that God loves me and wants me to be happy:

"Flopping and a player favorite, the fake head-whip in an attempt to draw a foul, will now be considered a Class A technical foul (two shots)."

Ding dong the fake head-whip is dead!!! :rock: