Stadium maintenance

Had my first chance to be on campus since Info was built. Amazing to see it-- got some great shots of the kids running down on the field.

Was really disappointed to see lots of chunks of concrete missing-- on the edgings around ramps, etc. It looked a bit shabby in parts which was disappointing considering how new it is.

I realize the harsh winter causes this, particularly where a metal stanchion hits the concrete. I get that this is hard to maintain, but don't we have a corrosion program? Polytech the shit out of that...

I realize the harsh winter causes this, particularly where a metal stanchion hits the concrete. I get that this is hard to maintain, but don't we have a corrosion program? Polytech the shit out of that...

Universities are plagued with "outsourcing". Why give to students, what you can pay for profit industry for. This has been a major complaint of mine throughout my career as a student and now in education. The No. 1 resource for communities, universities, industries...is their people/students.

UTILIZE THEM!

But that'd make to much sense in the "experiential learning" goal.

It makes me sad to think that the NEW feeling of Infocision is gone.

Besides the scattered nature of the tailgating, I'll always be disappointed that the stadium was not built so that all of the fans could be on the same level (bowl-like), and that they put all of the club seats and suites all the way at the top. I'm sure, in both cases, that the available space may have limited that.

It makes me sad to think that the NEW feeling of Infocision is gone.

Besides the scattered nature of the tailgating, I'll always be disappointed that the stadium was not built so that all of the fans could be on the same level (bowl-like), and that they put all of the club seats and suites all the way at the top. I'm sure, in both cases, that the available space may have limited that.

I agree. I have been doing a lot of thinking lately how cool it would have had an old stadium "Rubber Bowl" feel with a new stadium. But I'm guessing that'd be too expensive/don't have the space?

Was really disappointed to see lots of chunks of concrete missing

A problem not unique to the stadium. I'll repeat what my cement guy told me about pouring concrete it NEO..."There are two types of concrete outdoors in NEO, concrete that has cracked, and concrete that is going to crack"

Henk Jonkers, of Delft University of Technology, in the Netherlands has created a concrete that heals itself.

It's the world's most popular building material, and ever since the Romans built the pantheon from it some 2,000 years ago, we've been trying to find ways to make concrete more durable. No matter how carefully it is mixed or reinforced, all concrete eventually cracks, and under some conditions, those cracks can lead to collapse.

A problem not unique to the stadium. I'll repeat what my cement guy told me about pouring concrete it NEO..."There are two types of concrete outdoors in NEO, concrete that has cracked, and concrete that is going to crack"

Henk Jonkers, of Delft University of Technology, in the Netherlands has created a concrete that heals itself.

It's the world's most popular building material, and ever since the Romans built the pantheon from it some 2,000 years ago, we've been trying to find ways to make concrete more durable. No matter how carefully it is mixed or reinforced, all concrete eventually cracks, and under some conditions, those cracks can lead to collapse.

Bacteria? Sounds scary. There ought to be an opportunity for a polymer component in concrete to keep it intact. Let's get on it, Ohio Polytech !

I have loge seats and frequent the president's suite almost every game I go to. I think the placement of the loge and suites are fantastic. Best view of the field by far. The thing I don't like about the loge is they don't have overhead heaters for cold weather games. Part of the reason I got the tickets there was to be shielded from the elements. Also the wind whips through there it feels like the arctic. It's warmer in the stands on cold days than in my loge seat. At least the stands have a way to get some warmth from the sun if it's out. Other than that I'm happy with the placement

My biggest regret was who they chose to be the coach to open the thing with. Yeeesh.

After having walked around a bit, I do wish that they would have made it soccer compatible instead of building a separate facility. Lots of soccer teams play in football stadiums on artificial turf.

I took my kids by some of the houses my group of guys lived in over the years... does the city do any maintenance on anything? I have daughters-- no way would I let me them go to UA if I was seeing those neighborhoods for the first time. The city should be making the whole area around campus as shiny as a new penny, and instead it looks like the backlot that The Wire was shot on. Also amazing to me how desolate Exchange is... made me wish plasma alliance was still open. How did the University Park Alliance screw the pooch on all this stuff so badly?

After having walked around a bit, I do wish that they would have made it soccer compatible instead of building a separate facility. Lots of soccer teams play in football stadiums on artificial turf.

I took my kids by some of the houses my group of guys lived in over the years... does the city do any maintenance on anything? I have daughters-- no way would I let me them go to UA if I was seeing those neighborhoods for the first time. The city should be making the whole area around campus as shiny as a new penny, and instead it looks like the backlot that The Wire was shot on. Also amazing to me how desolate Exchange is... made me wish plasma alliance was still open. How did the University Park Alliance screw the pooch on all this stuff so badly?

Glad you had a chance to make it back. I'm not sure sure about many teams playing in football stadiums on artificial turf. I wasn't a soccer player, but from what I've heard is players hate playing on it.

What do you expect the city to do? I don't think there is much they can do when all of the houses are privately owned. Really not a whole lot different than most off campus student housing at universities from my experiences. I also don't think Exchange is bad, though it would be nice if they had something to occupy the CSL plasma building. Within the past...5ish year, there is the new Manny's, the completely remodeled "The Score" (which I really like), the new South Hall, the new Euro Gyro, University Edge living along with the restaurants below, South Hall, and The Depot (apartments). I actually think its pretty decent. BWW's could use renovation along with Thursday's, though.

The inside of BWW isn't bad, but the exterior desperately needs a facelift. It doesn't fit with the branding they have on every other location I've seen.

The Score's new outdoor patio looks awesome, but I haven't been there since they finished it.

The only places around campus that really need looked at are the Starz market, the old Plasma building, and along Spicer across from the stadium (which is in the process of having most older houses demolished one by one and replaced by modern Greek housing).

You may not like all the empty lots, but I assure you it's better than having abandoned buildings everywhere. Akron is slowly, methodically, and patiently reclaiming nearly all the properties that have declined over the past decades through both public and private means. It can't happen all at once, but it is happening.

These thoughts are what you have when you are used to an older stadium.

Info is very nice but it is different.

Imagine if we had just a larger RB. It would be like the craphouse in Ann Arbor or the Rose Bowl. Those people are so far away from the action it is ridiculous.

As much as so many hate the JAR, if a new arena comes and is larger people will be complaining about how far away and impersonal that is too.

You just need to get used to it and accept it.

Have to chuckle when I read stuff like this. If folks had been paying attention to the 'University Park Alliance' from the start, might have been able to see that this was just another way for 'rich' people to enrich themselves more without having to take responsibility for their "F' ups. Of course that is what politicians and the politically connected do with our money. There were a number of people who posted in other venues about this long ago. In any event,it is a shame that the whole Infocision thing will never be anything close to what the propagandists spouted. Just put up your money,go to the games and hope that TB eventually puts a competitive team on the field on a REGULAR basis. 2005 was a great ride.

Have to chuckle when I read stuff like this. If folks had been paying attention to the 'University Park Alliance' from the start, might have been able to see that this was just another way for 'rich' people to enrich themselves more without having to take responsibility for their "F' ups. Of course that is what politicians and the politically connected do with our money. There were a number of people who posted in other venues about this long ago. In any event,it is a shame that the whole Infocision thing will never be anything close to what the propagandists spouted. Just put up your money,go to the games and hope that TB eventually puts a competitive team on the field on a REGULAR basis. 2005 was a great ride.

Lets not get picky here. Putting up a competitive team on even an inconsistent basis would be quite an improvement considering the history of the program.