NBA Finals

Dellavedova is a good backup for the injury-prone Irving. Playing his guts out for 15 minutes a game during the regular season, harassing opponents and scoring a few points per game is all that's needed to help keep Kyrie fresh and the Cavs winning. Averaging 40 minutes per game for a 7-game championship series for the short-handed Cavs against the best backcourt and team in the NBA is beyond expectations for any NBA backup PG.

The main reason why the Cavs bench played more minutes than the Warriors last night is because they went small for most of the game with Mosgov starting but only playing 9 minutes. The Warriors are fresher because they've had a deeper, healthier bench all season and throughout the playoffs. Their style of play is good at wearing down defenses.

I don't even think Delly is a good back up. His ball handling skills are sub-par and he has no ability to create anything on offense. However he does have a niche that is appreciated and will keep him in the league. He's naturally a 3rd guard off the bench IMO.

I agree. Mathew missed by a mere 25 last night, and is still trying to figure out the switch on a simple pick and roll. If LBJ doesn't win the MVP of this series, they mind as well do away with the award. I'm not big on individual awards in team sports, but it's very obvious in this case...which is the only time an award like that should be given IMO. Nonetheless, intriguing series.

I might be crazy, but the thought crossed my mind that every player looked to be sweating more than normal halfway through the first quarter. Is it possible the heat in the building was raised above normal with all the talk of the Cavs short bench and LBJ admitting to fatigue? Heat-gate. Probably not, but I'm going to mention it anyway.

We haven't had a good anti-Ohio conspiracy around here in awhile :lol:

I sure hope the Cavs surprise me tonight with a miraculous effort. But I'm not sure they can overcome the high-energy game the Warriors are throwing at them. The Cavs showed pretty good energy in the first 3 games, but have looked increasingly gassed at the end of the last 2 games, as you might expect from a short-handed team playing against a healthy one with all of their star players at full strength and a deep bench.

A sign of the late-game fatigue the Cavs have run into in the NBA Finals is that they've been outscored toward the end of each of the 5 games so far, including the 2 games they've won. The Cavs led 4 of the games going into the 4th quarter and were tied for the lead in the other game. But they've been outscored by a total of 43 points in the 4th quarters plus extra 5 minutes of each of the 2 OT games. Over those final 70 minutes they've been outscored by more than half a point per minute or an average of 8.6 points per game.

Unfortunately the Cavs ran out of gas in the 3rd quarter tonight. Golden State is an outstanding team that was fortunate to go through the whole season with no serious injuries. They were predicted by most to have an edge over the Cavs even with a healthy Kevin Love and Kyrie Irving. Credit to the Cavs for never giving up and winning a couple of games against the odds.

• Like 1

Nice article. Maybe now we can actually start some real marketing.

"Burns said the Cavs contacted him during the first or second playoff series to see if UA was interested sponsoring a T-shirt for Game 6 of the Finals. Burns had established a relationship with the team when, as vice president of external affairs for the University of Toledo"

On a game note, I'm disappointed the Cavs lost, but happy I don't have to watch Delly chase Warriors around the court anymore. Painstaking. I agree with LeBron after the game when he said "we ran out of talent"...perfectly stated.

I've always thought this was one of the hardest things to do in sports. I think LBJ handles it better than most.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya2VNqgR_2I

Adam Schefter humor :lol:

Hey Bron, if you didn't play your typical ISO at the end of every quarter and either get the ball stolen or take a POS shot as times winds down, and if you could hit your free throws, you win game 1 in regulation and Kyrie doesn't get hurt in OT

As good of a player as he is, he is also very frustrating at times. Glad he is on the team and he did will the team to 2 wins, but geez, he also can blow games at times.

Every time the Cavs have the last possession of a quarter my wife and I bet on after Bron holds the ball until 5 seconds are left if he will A-Turn it over or B-Throw up a horrible shot that has no chance of going in. It's almost comical.

Hey Bron, if you didn't play your typical ISO at the end of every quarter....

I'm assuming you didn't watch part 2 of the interview I posted above? Ken Berger from CBS Sports asked him that specific question, LBJ's answer, "I don't enjoy it...it was needed" If you haven't watched it, I suggest you do. It's pretty easy to read between the lines as to what he is suggesting if you weren't able to figure it out before the finals started.

I didn't watch it and saying it's needed is BS. He had other players on the court and just ignores them.

I am sure that Blatt draws up a play and Bron ignores it. He never plans on setting up a play. His goal is to control the ball and then try to be a hero. He fails more than he succeeds.

Sure, occasionally it works, but usually he dribbles it off his leg or turns it over or throws up a horrible shot.

The end of regulation in game 1 really irked me....As you can tell. ;)

Its obvious you didn't watch much Cavs this season Buck. With no Love or Kyrie, the ONLY other person besides Lebron capable of creating their own shot is JR, and he was largely a choke during the series. The back up "PG" struggles with dribbling the ball, let alone starting an offense, therefore it was necessary to be as ball dominant as Lebron was.

At some point losing 2 all stars is going to catch up to you. The fact that it didnt until game 6 of the NBA finals is simply astonishing. The Warriors were a team of destiny this season. They had the luxury of playing an injured Mike Conley, avoiding a defensive stud in Patrick Beverly, and avoiding Kyrie Irving all while avoiding injuries completely themselves.

Cavs will be back in full force next season with some continuity with the Big 3 and some new pieces that will be able to contribute. Looking forward to it!

My favorite part is when you guys most likely railroaded Bron for passing up final shots in his first stint and passing to Z or Boobie Gibson instead. Now he's taking them and it's not good enough.

In all fairness, BZ used to criticize Ted Williams when he struck out.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Mo Williams is a nice addition at a reasonable cost. As a combo guard he does a good job of both distributing the ball and shooting. He also has a history of working well with LeBron. Most importantly, at 32 he's not on his last legs. Just a few months ago he dropped 52 points in a game.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I find it interesting that there's a lot less activity on this board regarding the NBA Finals since the Clevelanders got done venting their hatred when LeBron was winning titles in Miami.  

It's disappointing.  I'd really like if I saw a comparable amount of enthusiasm from Cleveland fans now, to at least equal the amount of effort they put into hammering on him a few years ago.   

2 hours ago, skip-zip said:

I find it interesting that there's a lot less activity on this board regarding the NBA Finals since the Clevelanders got done venting their hatred when LeBron was winning titles in Miami.  

It's disappointing.  I'd really like if I saw a comparable amount of enthusiasm from Cleveland fans now, to at least equal the amount of effort they put into hammering on him a few years ago.   

He's been playing fine.  JR Smith, Kyrie Irving need to step up.

2 hours ago, zippy5 said:

This ain't a Cavs board

Well, I agree with you on that.  That's why someone appropriately put it in "off topic".  But nonetheless, that never stopped the Cleveland fans in the past from using this board to bash LeBron.  That's all I'm saying.  

41 minutes ago, Balsy said:

He's been playing fine.  JR Smith, Kyrie Irving need to step up.

I agree he's not getting the help he needs.  And playing a team like that requires a lot of help.   It just surprises me that I haven't seen the excitement that I'd thought I'd see from some of the guys on here when they went 12-1 to start the playoffs.  But whatever enthusiasm there may have been, the 2 blowouts might have stifled that now.  

Edited by skip-zip

It's kind of a dead period for Zips athletics. People, myself included, don't frequent this board as often in the offseason. I also come to this place to talk Zips athletics because I really can't get that anywhere else. I'm regularly talking Cavs with family, friends, coworkers etc. so I see no point in talking about it here.

4 hours ago, skip-zip said:

I agree he's not getting the help he needs.  And playing a team like that requires a lot of help.   It just surprises me that I haven't seen the excitement that I'd thought I'd see from some of the guys on here when they went 12-1 to start the playoffs.  But whatever enthusiasm there may have been, the 2 blowouts might have stifled that now.  

We had three blowouts, 2 to start off with, last year as well.  When it comes to the Cavs I've learned 1) Don't get my hopes up and 2) Don't count them out until it's over.  
I for one do get enthusiastic about my hatred of the national media, who crowned golden state the 2017 champion BEFORE the season started, within weeks of the Cavs winning the 2016 championship.  I get pissed off to hear the national media talk as if the 2016 Championship was a fluke.  I can't stand the disrespect for everything NE Ohio in national media outlets.