Tom Wistrcill Resigns. Larry Williams hired.

zippy_ua_00

LZip....I'd like to see some data that shows that "college experience" is NOT "the" determining factor, as you say. Really. I'd like to see where student's minds are today. I'm sure plenty of students make their decision based on that.

I went to school in the early 80s. Akron had a top-notch program in my field of study, but others were good as well. But I can tell you that my decision was completely based on Akron's proximity to my hometown, and the cost. I'm certainly not alone. In fact, I can tell you that several other people from my hometown were going to Akron for the same reason.

Social activities #6 in this survey.

http://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/college-rankings-blog/2013/01/31/freshmen-students-say-rankings-arent-key-factor-in-college-choice

I wouldn't suggest "asking" students if they're willing to pay (and they are paying, big time, through subsidies) for intercollegiate athletics. I'm guessing that any school outside the elite programs would find that a majority of students would vote to keep the money in their own pockets. This is certainly true of MAC level programs, which are so heavily subsidized. I was stunned to learn recently how heavily students at Rutgers subsidize their football program. It's just not a winning proposition. I'm all for MAC type programs taking a stand and doing college sports the way they should be run - as a true competition among student-athletes. That's something to be proud of.

So, if we cut athletics, which only a relatively few students take part in, do we also close the bowling alley? The work out facility? Intramurals? The theater? These are ll for paid by all students through fees that a small percentage actually use.

Personally I had a lot more fun relaxing at the "ballpark" between classes than I would have shooting pool or sipping coffee on a patio. To each his own.

So, if we cut athletics, which only a relatively few students take part in, do we also close the bowling alley? The work out facility? Intramurals? The theater? These are ll for paid by all students through fees that a small percentage actually use.

Personally I had a lot more fun relaxing at the "ballpark" between classes than I would have shooting pool or sipping coffee on a patio. To each his own.

This is a reach if I've ever seen one.

TW reflects on his last six years.

I thought there would be more comments on this interview. Oh well, good try SZ, I appreciated it.

* Tom says he made the decision to leave.

* Admits he didn't know a whole lot about Akron when he took the job

* Funding model is the biggest challenge as an AD at Akron and most schools

* Zips need a new arena, and the city, county, and biz community need to come together to make a downtown arena

* Learfield (where he is going) is like IMG, he will be selling their services to AD's across the country

AD Scoop

• Like 1

LZip...thanks for posting that link. It appears that there is no "THE" factor as to why someone chooses one school over another, which is what I was questioning about your post. Plenty of categories rank pretty high in importance with a majority of college freshman.

I found it surprising that the College Ranking is #12 in percentage of people who found it important.

This is good to know. It looks like my two criteria for choosing Akron are #4 and #10 on the list.

With UA in the midst of making some tough financial decisions, having the CFO as interim AD allows him to put the athletics financial house in order rather than dumping that responsibility into the lap of a new AD. Good to know that Mr. Mortimer has sound knowledge about and respect for Zips athletics.

Interview with Mort on WAKR

A couple of quick takes from the interview:

• No specific date for an AD to be hired, should be between 3 weeks and 3 months. HAS to be the right guy.

• New arena should happen in 3 to 5, maybe 7 years.

• Has to be improvements to the JAR.

• As a fan, he would be shocked if coach Bowden didn't reach a bowl game this year.

• Being an AD is not his long term goal.

Thanks for posting SZ!

• 2 weeks later...

Short version of the interim AD's vision for Zips athletics:

As for my vision for Akron Athletics, I believe we need to focus on and find the balance built around the fundamental principles of: on-field team success, student academic performance, game day attendance, personal conduct (by appropriately “representing” the team, athletics department, and The University), and done within a fiscal model that is sustainable. In the very short term, we must improve our event attendance, so I ask you to join us at our competitions to enjoy your Zips in action and to socialize with your friends, colleagues, and fellow Zips. I’m interested to hear your thoughts about these principles or other topics.

I think the situation is interesting already, since the Interim came from outside of the department.

Plus, I think we already know that a financial belt-tightening will be at the top of the list of priorities for the incoming guy. That's never good to hear, as any fan who wants to see growth.