Tom Wistrcill Resigns. Larry Williams hired.

zippy_ua_00

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know Johnny, We might end up with Wistricill handling our marketing. :nutkick:

In 2013-14, the athletic department outsourced its ticket sales and management to The Aspire Group, while outsourcing sponsorship sales to Learfield Sports

http://www.gozips.com/athletics/emails/tom/2014-15/june_11_2015

Usually, I would use these communications to praise the newsworthy achievements of our student-athletes and coaches. Today, I want to share with you some personal and professional news: Effective Tuesday, June 16, I will be leaving my post as the Director of Athletics at The University of Akron to become a Senior Vice President with Learfield Sports, based in Dallas, Texas. This is an extraordinary opportunity to work in a leadership capacity in the rapidly growing field of sponsorship and multimedia rights in intercollegiate athletics.

From Hollywoodzippy's above link, here is the list of applicants for Akron University Athletic Director:

Daniel Riemenschneider (this link is only a guess)

Dean Stork

James Morgenstern

Martin Bodnar

Predrag Savovic

Allan Jones

Justine Kozlevcar

Ramone Petite

Renee Scholze

Gabor Smith

David Thurkill

I can't find half of the people on the list with the information provided. Feel free to expand. Good to see George's name on the list, can't say I'm impressed with the overall quality of this list (with the little info given). Hopefully we get some more info.

Not sure if this was posted here and I missed it, if so I'm sorry.

http://collegead.com/applicants-for-akron-university-athletic-director/

Looks like that list might need a key addition ;)

The guy seems to have a good track record of securing large donations.

Over the past two years, Wickstrom has secured the largest private donations in the history of ULM athletics. That money turned into brand new field turf put down at JPS Field in 2014 and the much anticipated end zone football facility that's scheduled to open its doors in January of 2016.

Of course, he'll be up against it with the recent news here at UA.

• Like 1

Here is the big reason Brian Wickstrom seriously considered coming to UA, which on the surface may seem to be a lateral move. Of course, this data is from 2014 and the numbers for UA will certainly be lower in the near term, but the delta was so great (32M vs 12M) in 2014 that it still represents a big increase.

Edited:

Here is the big reason Brian Wickstrom chose to come to UA, which on the surface may seem to be a lateral move. Of course, this data is from 2014 and the numbers for UA will certainly be lower in the near term, but the delta was so great (32M vs 12M) in 2014 that it still represents a big increase.

I think its a good sign that we are drawing candidates that if they got the job, it would be perceived as them making a lateral move. (I get the budget is attractive, but I'm sure most not looking at it closely don't). Still, I know I'd be pretty bummed if we were losing coaches/directors to another mid-major regardless of almost any circumstances.

“I appreciated being sought out for this opportunity at the University of Akron but the amount of uncertainty with changes on campus and its impact on athletes made me reconsider moving forward,” Wickstrom said via text message.

After Wistercill botched the Winters hire, UA told him to stay the hell away from the hire that eventually turned out to be Bowden. They need to do a similar thing with Scarborough right now, and stuff a freaking sock in his mouth.

If I was a prospective AD candidate and listened to his WAKR interview, I'd back out too.

No surprise. Wouldn't anyone here consider it a risk to move jobs after discovering that the employer appears to have issues, either financially or otherwise?

And again, as I've said before, my biggest concern right now is how this is going to play out in the minds of potential athletes and students being recruited in the coming years.

1. I'm encouraged we are reaching out to find the right person and not just limiting it to the applicants, so less chance of another Wistrcill/iCoach debacle

2. The current "dynamic" situation at UA is probably not that big a deal to transfers coming in to play for one year