Do you think Bowden could get Brian Bell (FSU)?

From the sound of the first article, he has never enrolled into college, so he wouldn't be a transfer. Am I reading that right?

Sounds like the kid is getting a raw deal, but I recall reading multiple articles about this incident and it just seems like a bad scenario all the way around for the young man that died but doesn't sound like anybody can tie this kid to the incident.

• 1 month later...

On which one? Hopefully not the one that punched a woman in the face...

I did a google search and I'm thinking it may be Bell, whose case doesn't seem as cut and dry as the links above make it seem.

There is a lot of twitter discussion about this case at hashtag #brianbell. It looks like Federal agents recently raided Bell's parents house, his girlfriends house, a friends house and Bell's dorm room and seized phones and computers related to the death of the former classmate. Anyway, one of the twitter messages about the raid, posted Aug. 4, started with #gozips. ... Which makes you wonder.

No article I've seen says where Bell is enrolled at, but Bell, in an Instagram message about the raid said "Im away at college," and there was an article I saw last night (that was posted in June I believe) where Bell's parents said Brian was at a school and would be playing football. No school was named, though.

Here is the link to the twitter stuff:

https://mobile.twitter.com/hashtag/brianbell

My personal opinion, I don't know enough about the case to have an opinion on whether he is innocent or not, or if he is even at Akron. But the last thing UA needs to do is bring on what would be another negative media circus if Akron is the school, since this case seems far from over.

Did some reading on this Bell thing thanks to wadzip's post. This thing wreaks of conspiracy theory. The dad hired/instructed the son's to murder Johnson? There is surveillance footage of Johnson entering the room where the wrestling mats are but not Bell? If Bell is indeed innocent, it's a shame he and his family had to go through these false accusations. Talk about life altering.

Did some reading on this Bell thing thanks to wadzip's post. This thing wreaks of conspiracy theory. The dad hired/instructed the son's to murder Johnson? There is surveillance footage of Johnson entering the room where the wrestling mats are but not Bell? If Bell is indeed innocent, it's a shame he and his family had to go through these false accusations. Talk about life altering.

Another racially motivated witch hunt by the Obama administration justice department. Since they can't convict this kid of murder, they are trying to get him for witness tampering and conspiracy.

Double standard.

That thread was about what an ass Rob Ianello was. The post that I made that comment on was just a political jab that had nothing to do with the context of the thread.. If Ben Crump wasn't involved in this case it would have disappeared long ago. What happens if the feds turn this guys life upside down and they find nothing? Just like Zimmerman and the Ferguson cop? Too bad so sad for them, right?

That thread was about what an ass Rob Ianello was. The post that I made that comment on was just a political jab that had nothing to do with the context of the thread.. If Ben Crump wasn't involved in this case it would have disappeared long ago. What happens if the feds turn this guys life upside down and they find nothing? Just like Zimmerman and the Ferguson cop? Too bad so sad for them, right?

The fact that you are bringing Zimmerman and Darren Wilson into this shows your broad agenda, which is basically, "it's Obama's fault," no matter what.

Come-on, in all three of those cases there appears to be some reason to look more into the circumstances. This Bell case is a little different because there is no definitive answer to whether he actually killed somebody, unlike with Zimmerman and Wilson.

But there must be some reason why Bell has been pointed to. I doubt the other kid's family just randomly pulled his name out of a hat. And the accidental death of falling into some wrestling mats and suffocating is bizarre. Not saying that couldn't happen, but its probably a one in a million chance. I think everybody who posts here would want a thorough investigation if they lost a child in this kind of circumstance.

As for Bell, he definitely is still innocent until proven guilty, and since it seems like he is easily qualified to attend UA as a student. I have no problem with the school accepting him since he hasn't been convicted of a crime (again this is even if he is a UA student, which is unknown ... I was just going off a random #gozips twitter post from a couple of days ago). Playing football, though, is another thing. Just not a smart move under the current situation the university is in until he is cleared.

I'll say the same thing with Tyreek Hill (anybody know what's up with him?). He's a bit different since he has actually been charged with a crime. But he's another guy who I would hope isn't on the football team until his case is over.

In both cases,though, its a horrible look for the school if either is on an out of state football scholarship, considering the the beating the school is taking for all the other stuff .... Baseball shuttering (which I support), the layoffs, the closing of EJ Thomas and the $900,000 renovations to the presidents mansion. If nothing else, it would be another example of the school being tone deaf to what is going on.

• Like 1

But there must be some reason why Bell has been pointed to. I doubt the other kid's family just randomly pulled his name out of a hat. And the accidental death of falling into some wrestling mats and suffocating is bizarre. Not saying that couldn't happen, but its probably a one in a million chance. I think everybody who posts here would want a thorough investigation if they lost a child in this kind of circumstance.

From what I've read (there could be more to it, but I haven't seen it), it seems he is a suspect because they got into a fight two years prior to the apparent accident. I guess we are all lucky that nobody we got into a fight with in HS ended up dead in a separate incident.

I agree with the second part, that a thorough investigation is abosolutely necessary. However, the death occurred two and a half years ago. I don't know what wouldn't be found now that hasn't been found already. The independent coroner said that all signs point to an accidental death. The Johnsons' hired coroner found something different. Go figure right? But he did say this, whatever it's supposed to mean:

"There is no evidence he was beaten," Anderson said. "It was probably just a single pressure application."

There is nothing that points to Johnson being forced down a standing wrestling mat head first. The wrongful death suit includes not only Brian, not only him, his brother and dad, but 36 other defendants including the family. I stand by my first statement. This wreaks of conspiracy theory.

From the USA today article:

Rev. Floyd Rose, who is black, is president of a local civil rights organization and originally backed the Johnson family. "You won't find a person of any reputation in this town who says that boy was murdered," he tells USA TODAY Sports. "Are there other injustices around here? You bet there are. But this is not one of them, and I'm not going to be bossed around by whites or blacks."

One of the best things about ZipsNation is that it doesn't regularly descend into political mud wrestling, which is generally polluting large swaths of the planet. People have different political views just like they have different religious views. Many get along just fine despite their differences because they show respect for each others' personal beliefs. Problems arise when some become so obsessed with their beliefs that they try to blame all the world's problems on those "others" with different beliefs. Keeping ZipsNation a politics-free zone will help avoid those problems.

http://valdostatoday.com/2015/08/usa-today-bell-probe-turns-to-possible-witness-tampering-obstruction-charges/

"After FSU withdrew its offer to Brian Bell, the linebacker struggled to find another school where he could play football. However, he is enrolled at a school and hopes to play this fall. The family would not disclose which school."

We all need to be aware that Brian Bell is a hot topic in some quarters, and as we discuss him here ZipsNation moves closer to the top of the list in a Google search. This means that people interested in the case are going to be landing here, reading what we post and perhaps even adding their own comments. Reading this thread will reveal that his name is on the Zips football roster, and it should be noted that his family was not publicly releasing information on where he was going to school to protect his privacy. With that in mind I think we need to be careful not to make silly remarks that people with questionable intentions might run with.

Major news sources have published no verified evidence connecting the Bell family to what was ruled the accidental death of Kendrick Johnson. There are, however, a number of irregularities cited over the local investigation that are not necessarily related to the Bells. For example, when Kendrick's body was exhumed by his family for a second autopsy, they were horrified to discover that all of his internal organs had been removed and disposed of, and his body stuffed with newspaper. Imagine the shock to a family, friends and community of discovering something like this about a loved one. Combined with some other irregularities in the investigation it shouldn't be surprising that some are calling for a more thorough investigation by reliable authorities with total transparency.

Having a federal grand jury investigate may be the best thing that could happen for the Bell family. They continue to be relentlessly hounded by those who question the results of the local investigation. Those who believe something is being hidden will likely trust the results of a federal investigation more than a local one. So if the federal investigation agrees with the local one that the Bell family is totally unconnected to the case there's a strong likelihood that those currently hounding the Bells will turn their attention elsewhere.

In the meantime, it appears by virtue of his name being listed on the football roster that Brian is a member of the Zips family and deserves our support and protection from harassment.

• Like 1

This is going to heat up, so everyone should get ready to have their cool tested. Remember that the few fanatics pursuing this in bad taste do not represent the majority of concerned citizens who only want to be assured beyond a reasonable doubt that justice has been served for all parties.

... Federal agents staged a pre-dawn raid on Bell's dorm room on July 21, seizing his computer and phone. Bet on Moore eventually filing an "obstruction of justice" charge based on Bell family emails expressing concern over testifying in such a witch-hunt atmosphere.

Also bet on the social-media mob seizing the raid as incontrovertible proof Akron has signed a murderer. Now on Twitter, you can see gruesome autopsy photos of Johnson next to pictures of Bell:

"@akrongrad meet #kendrickjohnson and Brian Bell," the tweet reads.

The mob will try to inflame the Akron community. You can't stop that nonsense, but you can contact the office of Akron's president at brummon@uakron.edu.

Say you support the Zips for standing up for Bell and the truth. Big schools like FSU may not care, but that's what real winners do.