Jordan Davis Offered - 6'6" Canton Timken/(McKinley?) PF

I had the good fortune to watch Jordan Davis "workout" in open gym with the Zips.

First off, Jordan seems a good bit taller than six-six; more like six-nine.

Jordan played well in the post and fit right in with the Zips. He has sound skills

and seems quite coachable.

I was surprised to learn after the open gym that he had no D-1 offers. There is

no doubt in my mind but that he can play D-1 ball.

Excellent offer by the Zips. Now, we have to run the gauntlet of the johnny-come-latelys.

6'9 from 6'6 is a stark difference.

If he is anything less than 6'8'', probably threw a scholarship away. It is never a good thing to be the only DI offer for a "big".

He is "listed" at six-six. Did you see him at open gym? I did.

Do not under estimate this kid.

• 3 weeks later...

MaxPreps now has Jordan listed at 6-7, as do some other sources, so he's apparently still a growing teenager (he was listed at 6-5 as a sophomore). MaxPreps also has him listed at 250 pounds, which suggests he may have the beef to hold his own in the paint at the D-I college level.

Jordan transferred to Canton from Garfield Heights, where as a sophomore he showed up in a brief profile from the Hidden Gems Spring Showcase on this site:

Jordan Davis (2016/Garfield Heights): Playing behind Ohio State-signee David Bell in the regular season, the Garfield Heights big man Jordan Davis was a solid impact player in his games on Sunday. Like Manns above, he can stretch the floor with a nice outside game. Very physical and will continue to grow under head coach Sonny Johnson.

SBNation had a better detailed review of Jordan's performance at the Hidden Gems Spring Showcase:

Jordan Davis (6'5 Sophomore C / Cleveland Garfield Heights):

Thick, wide-bodied post that was an anchor on the block on Sunday. Never lost a rebound and showed good body control around the rim. Aggressive and wasn't hesitant to challenge any shot that was attempted in his vicinity. Should see more varsity action as a junior as Garfield Heights graduates its top post man, Ohio State commit Dave Bell.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone know whether we're still pursuing Jordan Davis? Now that Tavian Dunn-Martin has verballed, I don't believe we have anymore scholarships available for next season (according to VerbalCommits.com).

http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/akron

If not, it looks like we're a bit guard-heavy next year.

Anyone know whether we're still pursuing Jordan Davis? Now that Tavian Dunn-Martin has verballed, I don't believe we have anymore scholarships available for next season (according to VerbalCommits.com).

http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/akron

If not, it looks like we're a bit guard-heavy next year.

Reggie, Kretz, and Pat are all seniors. So we should have 3 scholarships available. Dunn-Martin would leave two unless I am forgetting another commit or a grey shirt. Its pretty imperative we get a big man in this class.

Reggie, Kretz, and Pat are all seniors. So we should have 3 scholarships available. Dunn-Martin would leave two unless I am forgetting another commit or a grey shirt. Its pretty imperative we get a big man in this class.

Isaiah Williams and Craig Eubanks have already committed for next year. Dunn-Martin makes 3.

Isaiah Williams and Craig Eubanks have already committed for next year. Dunn-Martin makes 3.

I don't remember hearing anything about Williams. You would obviously know better than me, but if Eubanks is red-shirting this year (as Dave said) and not grey shirting, I'm pretty sure he would already be included in the scholarship count for this year.

This is a really interesting technicality. It appears that a player can be considered a redshirt without actually getting a scholarship. Craig obviously can't be getting a scholarship this season because there are already 13 scholarship players on the roster. Yet he can still be considered a redshirt and practice with the team. So he will have played two seasons of juco and spent a season practicing with the Zips before using his final two years of eligibility in the 2016-17 and 2017-18 seasons.

It's unusual for a juco player to have a redshirt season before using his final two seasons of eligibility in D-I college basketball. But the timing may be just right for the Zips. Craig is a wing, and the Zips are losing two veteran wings after this season when Jake and Reggie graduate. Having a mature, experienced wing like Craig to step right in next season after a year of practicing with the team could ease the transition from losing Jake and Reggie.

Skip, players don't "list" themselves. Their height is listed by their schools. Some of the heights you find in internet searches are from previous seasons, and HS kids are still growing. In Jordan's case, the last time I searched the most recent height I found listed for him was 6-7 in MaxPreps. I just searched again and a new one popped up -- his AAU team now lists him at 6-8. At 250 pounds he's in that sweet spot between the 200-pound bean poles who get pushed around and the 300-pound football lineman prototypes who labor to run the court. If Jordan is really 6-8, 250 going into his senior HS season, he only has to grow another inch or two to be a legit size D-I center.

Dave, Been there, done that. I know how players are listed. What seemed odd was that nobody had accurate info., but it appears that this is now coming up.

And thanks for the additional information. I agree that there's potential for a post player there, with those figures, and another year of high school remaining. Lets just hope he doesn't stop growing, but can keep himself somewhat on the lean side with the weight.

VerbalCommits.com has listed us as having extended an offer to 2016 SG Maishe Daily.

The coaching staff must really want to sign a SG next year, as they currently have 5 scholarships extended to 2016 SG's.

They also have 3 schollies extended to WF's - one of which is spoken for by Isaiah Williams.

All this while only having one single scholarship extended to who would be considered a post player (Jordan Davis).

This is just a bit surprising to me, considering our roster's current makeup. Do we have something cooking with a transfer post player? Is Olojakpoke taller than advertised & is the coaching staff expecting him to develop into a 4? If not, then it really looks like our depth is going to be a bit shallow in the front court after Pat graduates next year.

• 4 weeks later...

https://twitter.com/rick_hairston/status/645323717795577856

Committed to Akron, according to his coach.

I wonder if Akron was going to take both Davis and Jackson? Or was it that now that Jackson is out, KD accepted Davis' commitment?

While Jackson hasn't announced yet, I'm sure the coaching staff was either told directly, or got strong indications he was leaning toward Mizzou, who he was visiting this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

With the verbal of Michael Hughes, is Jordan Davis still a future Zip?

Absolutely, there is no way KD would accept a commitment then yank the scholarship less than a month later, unless he wants to sever ties with a basketball program (McKinley) that with the merger with Timken is going to churn out D1 players almost every year.

I think the Hughes commit answers my question about whether Davis was a plan B to Jackson. Maybe that is still the case, and Akron really wanted Jackson and Hughes. But regardless, it looks like Akron was always going to take two of those three. With Jackson going to Mizzou, Davis and Hughes took the spots.