UA To Create Texas A&M Style Corps of Cadets

• 4 weeks later...

If the following details were previously discussed, I must have missed them. It sounds like a sensible way to run the program. Whether students start out thinking they do or don't want to make a military commitment, they have two years of exposure before making up their minds which path to follow. I could see this having an appeal to a subset of students. The only question will be whether that subset is large enough to sustain the program:

... The students start their freshman year by taking a few ROTC classes along with their Cadet classes. Students are allowed to take the first two years of ROTC with no military commitment at all.

At the end of a student’s sophomore year, they will be able to decide if they want to move forward with military commitment or take a citizen leader track.

That’s where the Corps of Cadets will come and provide students who choose the citizen leader track with the proper business and leadership skills they will need after graduation. ...

UA has never been a militarily-aligned university and is not a fit for something like a Cadet Corps. Before anyone jumps on me because UA has a ROTC program, don't waste your time for I will destroy you. I am a former Marine Corps Officer who checked out the ROTC program at UA while I was a student there in the 80s. Their program has always been low key and not a major presence on the campus, a good thing in my mind. Cadet Corps are not to be taken seriously, ever, and starting one at Akron informs me, as much as anything that the Scar has done there, that he is a clueless fool. College kids who are actually interested in the military pursue a genuine path to military service, not some silly pointless alternative that leads nowhere.

A Corps of Cadets demeans the university, it demeans the ROTC program there and it demeans the participants. Yes, that includes the retired ROTC administrator who is now leading the cadet program.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Was there any new program that was created by this guy, or his vaunted "regime", even considered valuable to us anymore?   

I can't even fathom the salaries, golden parachutes, and marketing efforts that were wasted.  I'm sure it was quite a few million.  I probably don't even want to know.