Detroit released their OOC schedule

The Detroit Titans just released the OOC portion of their schedule.
http://www.detroittitans.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball&schedule=145

Nothing too fancy. They are neither going to play @Kentucky nor @Duke. At the same time, they won't torture their fans with Coppin state and UAPB.

- 2 non D1 teams (Central state and Dearborn)

- 2 winnable power conferences (Pitt and Vandy)

- 7 excellent midmajors where you don't kill your RPI, don't irritate your fans aways, and prepare your team for the conference part of the schedule.

If it is doable at Detroit, it should be doable at Akron.

The University of Akron invites any knowledgeable fan to generate home games for the Zips.

They must be division one teams from any mid-major or high-major conference.

They can be a straight "buy" game or a home-n-home.

Not so easy is it? They wont come to Akron. The Zips have to buy games to get home games.

The OOC schedule is complete and it is, as usual, chuck full of low-majors. Life is tough.

Exposure to high-majors comes via playing in tournaments. Villanova and Arkansas are away

games as is the Las Vegas tournament. Reportedly, but, not confirmed, Akron's opponents

are likely to be Tulane and William & Mary.

MAC schools are decent mid-major opponents. I doubt Detroit fans are clamoring for more MAC

opponents. Note that all three of Detroit's MAC opponents are a stone's throw from Callahan

Hall. And, one of them is on the road.

And they certainly don't constitute a group of "excellent mid majors"

I understand that Excellent is a qualitative description and different people my vastly disagree based on their different standards of what excellent is. So I'll take it back and simply compare the midmajors we play to the midmajors the Detroit will play and let you be the judge.

Just like us, Detroit is an ambitious midmajor trying to fill their arena in a economically not so prosperous area.They found the following teams with the following records last year:

Oral Roberts: 19-15

Northeastern: 23-12

Toledo: 20-13

BGSU: 21-12

UCF: 12-18

WKU : 20-12

EMU: 21-14

Other than UCF, every team had at least 19 wins.

Total W-L records for all 7 teams: 136-96. Average (19.4-13.7).

On our side, and since our schedule for next year is not yet released, let's look at last year's D1 non power conference teams and their records:

Bryant: 16-15

UAPB: 12-20

Western Illinois: 8-20

Middle Tenn: 19-17

NDSU: 23-10

Marshall: 11-21

Coppin State: 8-23

NDSU is the only team with more than 19 wins.

Total W-L records for all 7 teams: 97-126. Average (13.8-18.0).

The numbers speak for themselves. If Detroit can do it, we should be able to do it too.

One random team's OOC SOS from one season compared with another team's from another season can prove just about any point you want to make. Ada Zip, let me try to help you make your point with a more statistically relevant measure. Last season Detroit's OOC SOS was ranked #141 in the country while the Zips were ranked a lowly #231. Proves your point, right?

But wait, there's more. Two seasons ago the Zips' OOC SOS was ranked #101 while Detroit's was #174. Three seasons ago Detroit was back in the lead with the #39 best OOC SOS while the Zips trailed at #73. Four seasons ago the two teams switched places again with the Zips #47 and Detroit at #122.

As you said, the numbers speak for themselves, and they're different every season for a variety of reasons.

Dear Dave,

Your OOC SOS figures don't add any thing to the point I am trying to make. I'll give you two scenarios:

1 - The Zips go play @Duke and follow it with a home game against NC A & T.

2 - The Zips play @Cleveland State and then a home game against Green Bay

When you average the two games, both scenarios will lead to very similar OOC SOS but they are two very different scheduling approaches.

In scenario # 1. You have a game that is 99% a loss and another game that is 99% a win. Both games are uninteresting to fans and do not test the team. In scenario 2, it is a totally different story.

I did not want to get into the numbers game but I had to respond to skip-zip questioning the quality of those teams. My point is KD and his crew have been telling us that it is not possible to play a schedule of quality mid-majors. I am trying to say that if detroit can do it, we should do it too. If 20-win MAC teams are willing to play detroit, 20-win teams from the horizon league should be similarly willing to play Akron.

Ada Zip, you're right. I misinterpreted your point as the commonly used measure of strength of schedule whereas you were applying a more personal evaluation. Let me try to help you develop your system to be a little more accurate.

Judging future team strength based on last season's record can be misleading, sometimes grossly. For example, you rank Bowling Green as a quality mid-major for Detroit to schedule this season based on BG's record from last season. Problem is, BG's roster is decimated. Their best player (Richaun Holmes) was the only MAC player drafted into the NBA, and 3 other seniors also graduated. After their head coach was fired, at least 6 of the remaining players and 1 recruit reportedly requested transfers. BG this season could very well be a big loser scrapping with SWAC teams to achieve something better than a #300 RPI. Your measuring system would be more accurate if you based it on the projected strength of this season's Detroit opponents as opposed to their previous records.

" After their head coach was fired, at least 6 of the remaining players and 1 recruit reportedly requested transfers."

DIG: Not sure how accurate this statement turns out to be when you look at the current BG roster. Only two of those six actually requested a release from their scholarship. Both were granted by BG. Jovan Austin has enrolled at DII Texas A&M Commerce. Delvin Dickerson has not enrolled at a new school. The other players all are participating in the team's summer program. There was a lot of immature tweeting by the BG players at the time of the Jans debacle.

ADA Zip: Glad to see your still active on this board. Hope to see you and your wife at a Zips game this year. Can you arrange a Home-and-Home with Valpo?

ZZZips, that's why I said "reported." ;)

Here's what we know for sure:

2014-15 seniors Richaun Holmes, Jehvon Clarke, Anthony Henderson and Damarkeo Lyshe used up their eligibility and are gone.

2015-16 seniors Jovan Austin, Delvin Dickerson and Chauncey Orr are reported by all sources to have transferred and are no longer on the official BG roster.

ESPN's Jeff Goodman included on his early list of BG transfers Zack Denny, Josh Gomez, Spencer Parker and J.D. Tisdale, but those 4 players all still currently show up on BG's official 2015-16 roster. So they apparently lost 7 players rather than 11.

Perhaps the worst blow was losing a high-major freshman talent who could have had a big impact in the MAC. Brady Ernst, a 3-star 6-9 power forward was ready to sign with BG until Coach Jans had his big oops. With Jans out, Ernst was nabbed instead by the Big 12's Iowa State. Here's what Ernst had to say:

"I was going to sign with Coach Jans," Ernst said. "I would have signed with Bowling Green if not for the incident with Coach Jans."

Anyway, my point was that BG will likely be one of the weaker teams on Detroit's schedule. If the Zips scheduled an equivalent OOC team to the 2015-16 Falcons, some folks on this forum would grumble about the weak opponent. So I question holding them up as a shining example. I haven't taken the time to analyze the 2015-16 editions of the other mid-majors on Detroit's schedule.

Hey ZZZips...I'm still around. It is not that easy to get rid of me ;)

As for playing Valpo, it is too late for this year but if KD wants to do it next year, I would love to see it happen.

Anyway, my point was that BG will likely be one of the weaker teams on Detroit's schedule. If the Zips scheduled an equivalent OOC team to the 2015-16 Falcons, some folks on this forum would grumble about the weak opponent. So I question holding them up as a shining example. I haven't taken the time to analyze the 2015-16 editions of the other mid-majors on Detroit's schedule.

Dave, BG may well be the weaker team on Detroit's schedule. For the sake of the argument, let's say they are. I am still stunned reading your second sentence :eek:

Do you feel that our team schedules great mid-major opponents but our fans still whine anyways?

I (and other fans) will celebrate if the weakest team on the zips schedule this upcoming season is an equivalent to the 2015-16 BG falcons. No matter how bad the falcons will be.

Our fans have to deal with a schedule full of UMBC (RPI 346), ARPB (RPI 301), Western Illinois (RPI 328), Coppin State (RPI 311), and Marshall (RPI 295) and you think that they will complain about a schedule where BGSU is the weakest opponent?!! Come on man!

• Like 1

Ada Zip, if you really believe that Detroit's OOC schedule is that much better than UA's, I respect the fact that you're prepared to continue defending your opinion. I'm going to stick with the most widely accepted common measure, which is OOC SOS. At the end of this season when all the RPI and SOS numbers are finalized, I'll accept those numbers as the final measure of which team had the tougher OOC schedule.

You know, if we left the MAC for, say, Conference USA, we would suddenly have an abundance of quality regional mid-majors to fill out our OOC schedule. ;)

This.

I support Akron, I am Joe Akron. I did not attend the school. I'm a rare breed of being a younger fan that dislikes Columbus but these schedules that Akron produces are a bare to deal with. There is zero excitement, outside of rooting for an upset in a pre-season tournament.

I played college basketball and when this team plays schools I have never heard of or am not familiar with, I cannot imagine what the average fan to somebody that doesn't support the school thinks.

How can Akron expect to get people in the seats with the teams they play? Regular fans don't want to see it, clearly Joe Akron won't care.

I know...it's beating a dead horse. But I don't buy that Akron can't get some lower BCS name teams and higher mid majors than what they do. I feel they like their "20 game win" tag line.

• Like 4

While I realize that Akron is not likely to be able to schedule Power 5 conference teams or teams with a major national brand at home, I do wish that the home schedule did get upgraded a little. I have no problem with playing a 300+ RPI team or two out of conference but I would hope that they'd try to avoid scheduling three to five teams like that.

It does seem that the MAC and Horizon League get together quite a bit but why can't the Zips get some of the middle to top teams in leagues like the OVC, MAAC, Ivy League, or similar conferences to come to Akron for either one game or a home-and-home deal? I would think that would be beneficial for both programs. I know it wouldn't generate the same buzz that having a Big Ten or even an American Athletic Conference team come in but it would still be an upgrade from what we have seen recently.

A few years ago I was at the Akron-Princeton game and thought that the crowd was great as well as the action on the floor. I'd love to see more games like that. You don't need to totally eliminate the UAPBs of the world from your schedule (sometimes those help team psyche more than many realize) but maybe minimize how many of those you play in any given year.

I don't buy that Akron can't get some lower BCS name teams and higher mid majors than what they do. I feel they like their "20 game win" tag line.

It should be interesting if the new AD has higher expectations, or is satisfied with the status quo.

The University of Akron invites any knowledgeable fan to generate home games for the Zips.

They must be division one teams from any mid-major or high-major conference.

They can be a straight "buy" game or a home-n-home.

Not so easy is it? They wont come to Akron. The Zips have to buy games to get home games.

The OOC schedule is complete and it is, as usual, chuck full of low-majors. Life is tough.

Exposure to high-majors comes via playing in tournaments. Villanova and Arkansas are away

games as is the Las Vegas tournament. Reportedly, but, not confirmed, Akron's opponents

are likely to be Tulane and William & Mary.

MAC schools are decent mid-major opponents. I doubt Detroit fans are clamoring for more MAC

opponents. Note that all three of Detroit's MAC opponents are a stone's throw from Callahan

Hall. And, one of them is on the road.

BGSU is getting Cinci at home
  • Like 1

I did. Maybe someone can explain because that seems like the suggestion being made to me.

Agreed. I've been one to talk about the schedule and how it can improve for years. I'm pretty pleased with this one, even with just what we know now.

I did. Maybe someone can explain because that seems like the suggestion being made to me.

In plain English, the first post proposes that Detroit has a more desirable OOC than UA not by the common measure of OOC SOS but by the nature of having all mid-ranked opponents rather than a mix of high-, mid- and low-ranked opponents.