The Players Tribune

Dr Z

Like everything else in life, The Players Tribune needs to be taken with a grain of salt: No doubt many of these stories are honest and sincere words straight from athletes' hearts, and it's a nice counterbalance to get first-person perspectives unfiltered by media outlets. But it also needs to be taken into account that many of these athletes are multimillionaires with corporate-like support groups, including professional publicists. It can be self-serving for them to have professionally written stories carefully crafted to enhance their public images submitted for publication under their personal byline. In some ways it can be the equivalent of reading corporate press releases as opposed to independent journalistic coverage.

Like everything else in life, The Players Tribune needs to be taken with a grain of salt: No doubt many of these stories are honest and sincere words straight from athletes' hearts, and it's a nice counterbalance to get first-person perspectives unfiltered by media outlets. But it also needs to be taken into account that many of these athletes are multimillionaires with corporate-like support groups, including professional publicists. It can be self-serving for them to have professionally written stories carefully crafted to enhance their public images submitted for publication under their personal byline. In some ways it can be the equivalent of reading corporate press releases as opposed to independent journalistic coverage.

I enjoy the content, layout and photography. Three things most of todays local "journalistic" coverage misses. I hope they continue to invest the time and work.

Taken from Wikipedia: Critics have brought up some questions as to the role of traditional reporters and beat writers in sports today, the founding publisher, Derek Jeter, said, "We're not trying to take away from sportswriters. Sportswriters are what makes sports successful," he said. "I think we're sort of working in conjunction with them."[11] There are some media outlets that are not sure the Tribune has a footing in today's digital media when other social platforms such as Twitter" [8] “It’s like the Go Pro of sports journalism, offering an inside first-person perspective”, said Jason Marks, executive creative director. “We’re giving the athletes that fans know and love a voice. This is longform social, to tell stories with content in a natural way”, added Mark Grande, VP content strategy. “It will be a platform where athletes control their own voice. It’s meant to complement what’s out there and provide opinions, POVs and perspective”, said Jaymee Messler, CMO, Excel Sports Management

All editors, contributors and photographers are listed too.

After considering the grain of salt that Mo's piece sounds as if it was polished by a professional, like maybe someone in LeBron's camp, I still like it. What I really like about The Players Tribune is that it doesn't leave out anything that might be deemed "not pertinent" by a writer or cut out by an editor for lack of space. For some reason I always liked Mo as a person even though I didn't know him other than what I saw on TV and in news stories. I got that same feel from this piece. Glad to have him back in NEO. I think he will help produce better results than the professional analysts give him credit for because he's good chemistry for the Cavs.

For those who can swallow it all without salt, enjoy. I'm not a salesman in the business of pushing salt where it's not appreciated.

JUST RELEASED: Kevin Love speaks directly to the camera about his decision. Enjoy. :lol:

Chris Fedor writes about the The Players Tribune. Two articles in the PD about The Players Tribune in one day. I'm seeing a trend. Now you can write articles and quote directly from The Players Tribune. No need to even leave your house to get quotes from the players, you can just read them. Interesting. I can imagine this will get confusing for the conspiracy theorists when traditional journalists are quoting from sources that they have to "take with a grain of salt."

For Browns fans, Hawk — Whatever it takes.

SiriusXM and The Players' Tribune Launch New National Radio Show.

For those that have SiriusXM, and are Cavs fans, there is an excellent 20 minute interview with Kevin Love on The Players Tribune radio show. He does a nice job of explaining what happened when he opted out of his contract. He goes into more detail about his pool side meeting with LBJ. I didn't realize how close he was growing up with Clay Thompson and the Thompson family. He calls himself a comic book nerd, and loves Game of Thrones. He is super pumped about the new Star Wars. He touches a little on his injury...still struggling. Go to Sports, ONDemand, PlayersTribune Channel 85.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Andrew Miller: Living the Dream

ANDREW MILLER

PITCHER / CLEVELAND INDIANS

The feeling you get when you win a Major League Baseball playoff series is tough to describe. It’s almost like you don’t know where you are, and for a while you can’t feel anything. It’s as though your body doesn’t know what to make of it. It’s like you’re moving even though you’re just standing still. But then there’s a certain energy that takes over when you reach the clubhouse to celebrate. It becomes a frantic scene of hugs and congratulations all around. There’s a sense of relief that the hard work has paid off, and a chance to appreciate everyone who helped the team get to that point. The champagne perfectly magnifies the energy........click on link above for the rest of the article....

DFW1610190691_alcs_game_5-1440x810.jpg

• 4 months later...

Carlos Carrasco - The American Dream

"... ever since I became a U.S. citizen looking at the flag has meant something more. Home. It’s my anthem and my flag now, too. When I got to my locker after the last game of our series in Washington, my clothes were gone. My teammates had hung up an Uncle Sam costume for me to wear on the flight home instead. “Welcome to America!” they all cheered at me. I wore that outfit on the bus, and then on the plane ride back to Ohio. I loved it! The guys are so happy for me, and it’s been great to share this with them. There’s just this spirit here — from my teammates, to the people in the front office, to our trainers. It’s unbelievable. We’ve gone through so much together on the field, of course. But they’ve had an even bigger impact on my life because of everything that has happened off the field. Every day they helped me learned English. They are the ones who really helped me become an American..."

"... it’s more than just standing out on the mound. Or starting my first major league season as an American. It’s looking up into the stands at my wife and kids. It’s looking over at my teammates. It’s looking around at our fans in Cleveland. And knowing that I’m home..."

85140209BM_Indians_Athletics013.jpg