Baseball's Coming Back

KNCLZip

Give me a break, you seriously think the decision to hire Scarborough over Tressel (or not pursue Tressel) was because of faculty? Tressel was successful in his role as an administrator? Really!? Please. I think you've been drinking too much of the kool aide.

But let's not let facts get in the way of beating up on "elitist faculty". YSU has a defecit as well that they've had to reduce, and it wasn't reduced by Tressel's glorious fundrasising efforts.

There is another revenue stream that can be aided by having tenure-track contingent faculty...grant $$. Part of gaining tenure at a university involves an amount of published peer-reviewed research. This research can potentially bring in huge sums of grant money. But nevermind...yes, it's the evil "elitist snub nossed" researchers/educators that are the problem.

So how was it reduced? YSU must be doing it right because they aren't in the news every other day pissing more alumni off.

• Like 1

Give me a break, you seriously think the decision to hire Scarborough over Tressel (or not pursue Tressel) was because of faculty? Tressel was successful in his role as an administrator? Really!? Please. I think you've been drinking too much of the kool aide.

But let's not let facts get in the way of beating up on "elitist faculty". YSU has a defecit as well that they've had to reduce, and it wasn't reduced by Tressel's glorious fundrasising efforts.

There is another revenue stream that can be aided by having tenure-track contingent faculty...grant $$. Part of gaining tenure at a university involves an amount of published peer-reviewed research. This research can potentially bring in huge sums of grant money. But nevermind...yes, it's the evil "elitist snub nossed" researchers/educators that are the problem.

YSU's deficit was $7.1 million as Tressel took office. Through a hiring freeze, eliminating positions that had "help wanted" advertisements, restructuring the high-up administration, and enforcing an ACE union contract on its members, he has been able to address the shortfall. However, it has not been all cuts. YSU's undergraduate applications exceed 6,000 this year, almost double the amount of last year. Naturally, that doesn't necessarily mean it will translate into butts in seats, but it is a sign of a new-found interest in YSU as Tressel himself has gone to Cleveland, Akron, Canton, Erie, and Pittsburgh talking to dozens of high schools about the school. The Vindicator had an interesting article last week on Tressel I encourage you to read, "Tressel and the art of caring, and not caring": http://www.vindy.com/news/2015/jul/05/tressel-and-the-art-of-not-caring/

Prior to Tressel applying to become President of Youngstown State, I heard from a well-known individual at the YSU Foundation that Tressel had some concerns about the financial health of Akron. After looking at UofA's financials on the state auditor's website, the amount of debt the school had was eye-opening, but to be quite frank, I had no idea it was as bad as many of you had indicated on here.

I think, it is very likely that the very vocal, negative faculty response probably pushed the needle enough. The UA job was going to be tough enough. Imagine having to make tough decisions without the support of the faculty. They made their disdain of his lack of a PhD and football background well known. Their own prejudices blinded them.

I would imagine Scarborough, or anyone else who would have taken his place would have had to make very difficult budget cut decisions, so don't read this as a hate on Scarborough comment - I think it is too early to tell if his ideas will work and I give him credit for trying some different things instead of the same old stuff, which got us here in the first place.

Would it be safe to assume the baseball elimination is effective immediately? Players/coaches will certainly be transferring out and none coming in...I'd think it would be difficult to field a team as soon as next spring. Would the current players' full ride schollies still be honored if they decided to stay at Akron to complete their degrees?

Yes. Immediate.

Doesn't this make you proud?

http://fox8.com/2015/07/10/university-of-akron-to-cut-baseball-215-positions-due-to-budget-issues/

We're also taking an absolute bath on social media...

First and foremost there's the huge deficit being broadcast all over NE Ohio and the internet. Other schools may have a deficit, but Akron is on the news. It doesn't matter whether it was Proenza's fault, Tessel's fault for not raising funds, or Scarborough's fault for panic'ing or not having faith/ability to raise funds.

It doesn't matter. This is a HUGE black eye for a university with enrollment problems. What does this say to prospective students and their parents? Especially if they're interested in majoring in Economics?

If they dump 200 people, is the grass going to be cut? Is the snow going to be plowed? Is the garbage going to be emptied? Will the computers and networks and wifi work? Are the walls going to be painted? Are the toilets going to work? Will there be enough police? Will class be cancelled every time a faculty member is sick?

Then, there's the story about the baseball program. Shut down. Now. It's heartbreaking for the fans. I know I came on a little strong last night, but I'm a baseball lifer, had a lot of fun watching the team and the guys. And needed a place to vent. And this was where other baseball fans hang out. It sucks for us, but that's not the major problem here.

First lets look at prospective students again. So baseball was cut, very few 30 years and under care, right? A prospective student might say "What next?" What other programs and organizations and activities are they going to cut?

Then there's the other sports programs. That had to send a shock wave through the rest of the department. Who's next? Are we still going to travel for non-conference games tournaments? Are they going to downgrade our programs? Decreased budgets? Decreased number of scholarships? Drop to a lower level? To a prospective student/athlete, this cannot look good at all. I can't imagine recruiting is easy with the given budget and the regional competition, this has to really screw it up.

I know Scarborough is trying to show the state that he is making the University fiscally responsible. But is he cutting off his nose despite his face? Enrollment is as important as cutting costs. And there's no way in hell that this news helps enrollment.

• Like 1

well not really because they didn't end up cutting it in the end.

CSU Wrestling was able to fund itself through contributions from the wrestling community.

Which has me thinking. If club baseball comes back, are they able to accept contributions from fans? That's something I never thought of when I worked with the club hockey team.

I don't see how any news story could possibly be more negative than some of the stuff being speculated on these forums. Might as well throw in some speculation that NASA thinks there's a chance the next big asteroid to strike earth might hit in the center of the UA campus. :)

So you're answering my questions about negative ramifications with "No. There won't be any".

I think sports are not as important in the big picture to the marketing of a school like Akron. I am going to speculate and say that the vast majority of students attend Akron for specifically three reasons.. 1. they were able to get in (I know standards are changing), 2. it allowed them to live at or near to home -- low total cost. and 3. they are an older non traditional student and living in the area-- not wanting to relocate for school. Others attend for specific reasons of academics a love of Akron etc--- but most I think fall into the 3 areas above

If the University is interested in increasing enrolment, a more affordable university with good academic programs should lead the way. The University has overspent on Athletics for years- and now the price of that overspending are the short and looming long term cuts to sports...IMO. I think this will be followed by many more schools getting lean on athletics... they are unsustainable for many universities-- but especially for schools with student profiles like Akron

The athletic teams really seem to be insignificant to the student body judging by the attendance at virtually every sport... the athletic program is move valuable or important to the community--- but still is not supported to warrant the expenditure-- and doesn't generate the community giving ($) to cover things without a huge student/ Univ funded subsidy.

Someone will say alumni will stop giving $... but if the money is/ was earmarked for Athletics it has no impact on the Univ.... The true benefactors of academic programs and research should continue to give regardless of the sports programs.

I love sports -- Akron sports, but I am a realist... not a pessimist (I'm guessing that's how most people view me on here). I've seen this coming-- I'm surprised its taken so long.

One more thing... I think the days of confrences like the MAC are done... I think most Universities will go to an a la carte type of arrangement for sports... no more you need this sport and this sport, and need to sponsor so many total sports etc.

So you're answering my questions about negative ramifications with "No. There won't be any".

Only if you have a poor grasp of the English language or are trying to live up to your screen name. :) Nothing in my comments came close to implying there wouldn't be any ramifications. UA is in a situation that's been building for years where it had to take corrective action, and any corrective action would inevitably produce ramifications to varying degrees with different constituencies. Baseball fans are unfortunately among those who happened to come out on the short end of the corrective actions that were deemed least unacceptable under the circumstances. Let's be realistic. Listing all of the worst imaginable ramifications doesn't mean they're likely to happen to any great degree.

Here's an interesting breakdown on the cost of athletics at UA and the MAC schools with UC and OSU thrown in. It's an unsustainable model. What I don't like about this is that it comes off as UA reacting to a budget crisis (which it is) rather than taking a statewide and national leadership role in ending the madness. Had SS been able to position it as the latter, I think there could have been some good publicity for the university.

CJlR5I6UwAAeBF4.jpg

Only if you have a poor grasp of the English language or are trying to live up to your screen name. :) Nothing in my comments came close to implying there wouldn't be any ramifications. UA is in a situation that's been building for years where it had to take corrective action, and any corrective action would inevitably produce ramifications to varying degrees with different constituencies. Baseball fans are unfortunately among those who happened to come out on the short end of the corrective actions that were deemed least unacceptable under the circumstances. Let's be realistic. Listing all of the worst imaginable ramifications doesn't mean they're likely to happen to any great degree.

Those ramifications COULD have been done silently, where the media wouldn't have had a field day of it. You could slowly and quietly cut jobs, for instance, show that to the State, and avoid any and all of the ramifications.

That was my main point. I understand baseball was the easiest target. I brought that up as sort of an apology for going off last night, I needed to vent.

But my main points were the impact on enrollment, and on the effects the other sports will see. Whether or not their budgets get cut or eliminated.

So the big question is, is elimination of some sports the answer? Or cutting the budgets of all sports and stop pretending to mount a Division 1 effort?

Wooster and Baldwin Wallace and CWR and heck Wayne College can have these sports without spending all that money. The popular opinion is we're not going to attract Joe Sportsfan to our games, and/or can't afford the marketing campaign it would require.

I would bet 90% of the paying fans would be paying fans if we were D2. So why pay out all those scholarships and expenses? Advertisers who like to advertise in front of the number of fans we have now, would they think the same way?

Would a different baseball model work better for cold weather schools? One where you don't travel cross country the whole month of March. One where you don't pretend you're going to go deep in NCAA Superregionals. Maybe a fall season and a spring season, like was proposed for college soccer. And no out-of-state overnight travel...

Just throwing out ideas.

• Like 1

Those ramifications COULD have been done silently, where the media wouldn't have had a field day of it. You could slowly and quietly cut jobs, for instance, show that to the State, and avoid any and all of the ramifications. ...

I appreciate your wish to minimize the negative impact on UA. But you can't get away with secret moves in the modern world of instant social media. Word would leak of the first move and everyone would jump on UA as being sneaky and untrustworthy. The first move would get headlines, then a few months later the second, then the third, and it would become a downward trend with no end in sight. People would become paranoid looking under every rock to uncover the next move. No, the right way to do it is to be 100% transparent when announcing the moves. Put three years worth all together in one package and take your lumps all at once. That news will slowly fade and be replaced by good news in the coming months and years. As painful as the big announcement was, it beats the heck out of a series of negative gotchas.

• Like 2

I appreciate your wish to minimize the negative impact on UA. But you can't get away with secret moves in the modern world of instant social media. Word would leak of the first move and everyone would jump on UA as being sneaky and untrustworthy. The first move would get headlines, then a few months later the second, then the third, and it would become a downward trend with no end in sight. People would become paranoid looking under every rock to uncover the next move. No, the right way to do it is to be 100% transparent when announcing the moves. Put three years worth all together in one package and take your lumps all at once. That news will slowly fade and be replaced by good news in the coming months and years. As painful as the big announcement was, it beats the heck out of a series of negative gotchas.

And imagine the outrage if had spared athletics any cuts. That would have been a national story.

Former Zips pitcher Chris Bassitt is starting for the Oakland A's tonight against the Indians in Cleveland. Given the events of the last 24 to 36 hours and the fact that he knows the northest Ohio fans will be watching I think it would be cool if he makes some gesture or does something to pay homage to Zips baseball.

Either way since he is starting I am rooting for Oakland to give Bassitt his first MLB win of the season tonight.

GJ, Chris went 7 1/3 innings giving up 7 hits and 2 runs, missing a W by 1/3 inning. I didn't get to watch the game (at work).

JD Brubaker got his first professional win Thursday night at Lowell, going 5 innings with 0 ER and 5 K's. After a rough couple of starts he got it together against the Spinners. No, they're not named after me.

http://wakr.net/news/item/159214-ua-planning-to-cut-jobs-baseball-program

Per Larry Burns interview:

* baseball player scholarships will be honored if they stay at UA

* need for baseball facilities capital investments (which we can't afford) figured prominently in the decision to target baseball

* Title IX issues would have been created by cutting any womens sports

I see a lot of ZN.O regulars in that article.

Here's another gem of a tweet from one of the ones presented on Cleveland.com. I hope she's not a regular on ZN.o. ;)

1. My mom texts me to make sure I'm not doing anything so I can pick her drunk ass up from her friends house 1f611.png1f611.png1f611.png

0 retweets5 favorites
    Retweet
    Favorite5
    Follow
    More