Baseball's Coming Back

KNCLZip

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't think they would have any scholly's, so that's a good start.

With the right people, they could compete in the MAC in a couple years. Which realistically, in the north, is where your goals should be anyway. 

On 2/28/2018 at 11:30 AM, Hilltopper said:

11.5 for a 35 player roster.

That's accurate. I'd like to see the average in the MAC, and the B10 for that matter. 

The NCAA max is 11.7, for 35 guys. Remember, outside of football and men’s basketball, the average scholarship is only $8,700 per year. Some players find D3 a better deal, where you can get over 50% off your tuition with merit awards. 

Some coaches put all their scholly's in the pitching staff (3 regular starters, x number in the bull pen). Some spread it out into middle infielders, centerfielders, or spread it out among all of the starting players. 

46 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Being a non-revenue sport, I'd be shocked if all other MAC baseball schools offered the full 11.7 scholarships. 

I know for a fact YSU does, and I'm 99% sure Kent, OU and Miami do.. Knowing YSU does, I would be very surprised if most teams in the MAC weren't at 11.7 or very close to it.

I've heard that possibly 5 would be UA funded and any additional amounts would come from sponsors.. so let's hope there are some sponsors lined up. These are just from my baseball connections, no UA sources so some here may know more than me on this

Edited by zippy5
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, zippy5 said:

I know for a fact YSU does, and I'm 99% sure Kent, OU and Miami do.. Knowing YSU does, I would be very surprised if most teams in the MAC weren't at 11.7 or very close to it.

I'd agree most likely are at or above 10 which certainly would put us at a disadvantage.

• 2 months later...

Went to MAC baseball Championships this week.  Kent State survived an implosion in their first round game then crushed Miami twice to win the Championship.  Couple observations...most rosters were heavy with “locals” to their locale.  Also, KSU baseball fans are pretty much idiots.  Sorry, maybe just rude is a better statement.  Played at Sprenger Stadium in Avon Lake, home of the Lake Erie Crushers...independent A league.  The entire field is artificial turf, basepaths, mound, everything.  Just different color.  Funny to watch some base stealers try to slide hed first and have the turf grab and slow them down to a stop short of the base....anyway, anyone know anything new on our projected team?  Lots of talk at tourney about it not going to happen...

Thanks Hilltopper. I bet there is a good coach in that mix of 75. He's not going to have much to work with. No doubt he's also going to have to be creative in getting resources for his program, but if he is persistent, holds to a good long-term vision and can recruit Ohio we have a chance to one day be competitive.

Someone donated $500,000 to establish an endowed scholarship. There have also been many other commitments for yearly support. The plan is to recruit student athletes from the state of Ohio. No expensive out of state scholarships. Probably not a bunch of expensive spring road trips either.

This is a D-1 team in a D-1 league. Go all in or just remain without a team. What kid is really going to want to come play for a team that isn't going to compete, and top of that, isn't even going to get to go play at some nice places in the spring? They'll pick D-2 before us

2 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

Someone donated $500,000 to establish an endowed scholarship. There have also been many other commitments for yearly support. The plan is to recruit student athletes from the state of Ohio. No expensive out of state scholarships. Probably not a bunch of expensive spring road trips either.

I hope they'll play Spring Break ball somewhere warm with palm trees.  I know Malone & Walsh do.

Edited by Blue & Gold

10 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

That was what I was saying about the other MAC teams in the tourney...they got there with LOCAL kids, not many out of staters on any of their rosters, so this shouldn’t be that big of a detriment.

9 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

That was what I was saying about the other MAC teams in the tourney...they got there with LOCAL kids, not many out of staters on any of their rosters, so this shouldn’t be that big of a detriment.

Kent has 14 out of state players on their team. There's a lot of talent within an hour or two of Akron in PA that they'll be missing.

And even if what you say is true - which of those kids from OH is going to pick us over anyone else in the MAC?

Lots of challenges for the new  coach for sure.  But our last coach took a 7-20 (16-37) team to within one run of the MAC championship in four years. And he had to "showcase" Lee Jackson Field to recruits. I would rather be the new coach of the baseball program than the men's basketball program.

One selling point the new coach has for recruits and transfers is the real chance to start. Our depth chart is currently blank. 

Edited by Spin
typo

I've been going to update this, and with the baseball forum lighting back up, why not now?

Zips in the Pros, Baseball Version.

Pitcher Chris Bassitt is 2-2 5.77 in AAA Nashville in his attempt to come back from Tommy John surgery.  He is in the Oakland A's system.

Pitcher JT Brubaker has 4 starts in AAA Indianapolis (2-1 3.32) and 6 in AA Altoona (2-2 1.80) in the Pirates system. Will he get a start in Akron next month? 

Outfielder Devin Ahart is batting .359 3 7 in Fargo-Moorehead independent league play.

Outfielder Dom Iero is batting .115 1 3 in Joliet independent league

C/LF Brian Lees and P John Valek have not appeared in a game since 2017

Edited by Spin

1 hour ago, Spin said:

Lots of challenges for the new  coach for sure.  But our last coach took a 7-20 (16-37) team to within one run of the MAC championship in four years. And he had to "showcase" Lee Jackson Field to recruits. I would rather be the new coach of the baseball program than the men's basketball program.

One selling point the new coach has for recruits and transfers is the real chance to start. Our depth chart is currently blank. 

Ianello used the same selling point of early playing time to lure recruits into his program. Look at the quality of players he left TB. Look at his results.