Baseball's Coming Back

KNCLZip

57 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Haven't heard many great things on this one from the coaches I know. I hope it works out

Who knows if he can coach, but having a hall of famer as the head coach has to help with recruiting, which is the biggest challenge for any program coming back from the dead.

16 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

I agree this is a heck of a hire, but I can't help but question how long he will be here. When Matt Wilson announced the return of baseball he noted that the salary of a new coach would be appropriate to a marginally funded, start-up program. That equates to low. We have few scholarships, I believe 4 are funded by private donors, and poor facilities. Sabo may be able to grow the program. If he is successful he no doubt will leave. He knows what a good program is having played at Michigan and he is young enough to have another move in him, especially seeing that his family does not live in NE Ohio.

I am happy we got him. It's a good hire. In fact above our level.  I am just pissed at our situation in that we are a stepping stone for most coaches except soccer and Track. Such is the life of a non-P 5 school in the MAC.

He knows what a bad program is too, having played for the Reds.

• Haha 1

What a fantastic hire!  I caught 1350, 1480 & 1590 & 100.1 all talking about it yesterday.  It was all over my twitter feed as well.

This has kicked my excitement for Zips baseball up a few notches.

ABJ (Bournival): Zips coach Chris Sabo ready to 'build a good legacy here'

That trail (recruiting trail) will burn up Interstates 71, 77, 76 and the Ohio Turnpike as Sabo will focus locally first and take advantage of an area rich in baseball tradition.

We have to convince them (recruits) that Akron is the place to be. This is going to be the Ohio baseball school.

Love the enthusiasm.  This guy really seems to have the attitude and personality of a Caleb Porter.

Edited by Blue & Gold

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

What a fantastic hire!  I caught 1350, 1480 & 1590 & 100.1 all talking about it yesterday.  It was all over my twitter feed as well.

This has kicked my excitement for Zips baseball up a few notches.

ABJ (Bournival): Zips coach Chris Sabo ready to 'build a good legacy here'

That trail (recruiting trail) will burn up Interstates 71, 77, 76 and the Ohio Turnpike as Sabo will focus locally first and take advantage of an area rich in baseball tradition.

We have to convince them (recruits) that Akron is the place to be. This is going to be the Ohio baseball school.

Love the enthusiasm.  This guy really seems to have the attitude and personality of a Caleb Porter.

It's important to dream big although Wright State, Kent and THE osu have quality programs and facilities in place.

15 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

He knows what a bad program is too, having played for the Reds.

World Series Champions in 1990 after sweeping the A's. Sabo was an ASG starter that year. He played for a couple stinkers, but I wouldn't say the Reds are why he would know what a bad program is. 

15 hours ago, zippy5 said:

YSU is turning their program around as well. I don't have high hopes given that we're handicapping ourselves with limited scholarships and resources, but it'd be a lot of fun if they could surprise some people and make something happen.

From my understanding, we're right at the maximum number of scholarships in NCAA baseball.

There are approximately 299 NCAA Division I baseball programs with each team being allowed to offer a maximum of (11.7) scholarships. Under NCAA rules, these 11.7 scholarships can be divided between a maximum of 27 players, with all players on athletic scholarship having to receive a minimum of a 25% scholarship.  To compete for athletic scholarships at the Division I level, you will want to have video and an online presence to be evaluated and identified.  Division I programs start recruiting very early in the process and verbal offers and commitments are made earlier at the Division I level than any other level.

source

On 10/25/2018 at 8:41 AM, Let'sGoZips94 said:

World Series Champions in 1990 after sweeping the A's. Sabo was an ASG starter that year. He played for a couple stinkers, but I wouldn't say the Reds are why he would know what a bad program is. 

Maybe I overstated my case.  The Reds did manage 3 winning seasons out of the 7 years Sabo was with them. 

So I'll modify my statement and say that his experience with the Reds should help him know what a not good program is.

On 10/25/2018 at 8:23 AM, zippy5 said:

YSU is turning their program around as well. I don't have high hopes given that we're handicapping ourselves with limited scholarships and resources, but it'd be a lot of fun if they could surprise some people and make something happen.

YSU baseball has sucked the big one for a long time so I was surprised by your comment and looked up the Penguin's W/L record for the last 10 years.  I don't see the turnaround.

17/18   18 wins, 38 losses

16/17   15-40

15/16   14-38

14/15    16-34

13/14    17-38

12/13    14-43

11/12    11-44

10/11    16-41

9/10       22-34

32 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

YSU baseball has sucked the big one for a long time so I was surprised by your comment and looked up the Penguin's W/L record for the last 10 years.  I don't see the turnaround.

17/18   18 wins, 38 losses

16/17   15-40

15/16   14-38

14/15    16-34

13/14    17-38

12/13    14-43

11/12    11-44

10/11    16-41

9/10       22-34

Dan Bertolini took over 2 years ago. Their recruiting has gotten way better since he stepped in, but those are 18-19 year old kids still. I don't like to play the insider card like some do but I know a lot of the area coaches and they're well respected and don't hesitate sending a kid there like before.. he's gotten a few recruits over Kent the past couple years. They'll be contending with Wright State in a few years. I didn't say it's turned around yet ;)  They won 5 conference games in 2016 and doubled that to 10 last year. 

Edited by zippy5

3 hours ago, zippy5 said:

Dan Bertolini took over 2 years ago. Their recruiting has gotten way better since he stepped in, but those are 18-19 year old kids still. I don't like to play the insider card like some do but I know a lot of the area coaches and they're well respected and don't hesitate sending a kid there like before.. he's gotten a few recruits over Kent the past couple years. They'll be contending with Wright State in a few years. I didn't say it's turned around yet ;)  They won 5 conference games in 2016 and doubled that to 10 last year. 

Their conference record is just as unimpressive as their overall record detailed in my previous email.  Their 10 conference wins last season gave them a winning percentage of .345.

I don't like to play the insider card, but I've seen the Penguins play and they would be a very competitive DII team. 

One thing a start-up can offer to recruits is early playing time.

Potentially a four year starter gig if you're good and nobody better transfers in during your stint.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2017 at 1:35 PM, Steve1982 said:

Has anyone heard what capacity Bob Fritz will be filling for the "new" baseball team? Bob is a one time Baltimore Oriole and longtime Cincinnati  Red scout. Friends have told me he will be working with the Zips baseball.

Bob has been officially hired by Chris Sabo as part of his recruiting staff.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Without Scarborough we'd never have had the chance to have a renaissance. God bless that guy.

You really are a glass half full kind of guy.:bow:

23 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Really well-written article. Sabo seems like the right guy for the job personality wise, bringing an edge backed by experience. What's interesting is it sounds like this is it for him. Once he lays the foundation, he's not going on to coach elsewhere. This should be fun. 

To Spuds! Dilly Dilly! :cheers: