Baseball's Coming Back

KNCLZip

ABJ news release: UA coach Chris Sabo to be guest speaker for Greater Akron Baseball HOF

The Greater Akron Baseball Hall of Fame is hosting an evening with the new University of Akron baseball coach and former Cincinnati Reds star Chris Sabo on Feb. 23 at the Duck Club at Canal Park in downtown Akron.

The program begins at 6 p.m. with appetizers and a cash bar. Sabo will begin speaking at 7 p.m. Tickets are free, but you must register online at eventbrite.com and seats are limited. A $5 donation is requested at the door with a portion of the proceeds going to the UA baseball team.

• Like 1

Former Zip pitcher Daulton Mosbarger is the pitching coach of the Urbana Golden Knights. After the Zips were disbanded Daulton finished his college career with tOSU with a 2-0 record in 5 starts.

"He was tabbed a top-50 prospect in Ohio by Prep Baseball Report, after hitting .470 for his career and recorded 16 wins on the mound with 204 career strikeouts. He set the school record with eight triples as a sophomore and set another record with 30 career doubles.

https://uublueknights.com/coaches.aspx?rc=134

Edited by Spin

I saw that.  thank yous go out to those generous grads! Tim told me they hope to turf the field to make it playable in almost any conditions, Similar to Kent. Speaking of which, its a shame another of our grads Mike Birkbeck a former major leaguer and well payed assistant at Kent hasnt been willing to give back to his former school! 

AKRON BASEBALL SIGNS 13 STUDENT-ATHLETES

Baseball_NLI_2019.jpg?width=1128&height=

AKRON, Ohio —University of Akron first-year head baseball coach Chris Sabo signed 13 student-athletes to his first class.

"I am pleased to announce our first commitments to the University of Akron baseball program," Sabo said. "The 13 players represent a solid variety of junior college transfers and high school seniors, position players and pitchers.  In addition, I'm excited that we have signed a number of strong players from the state of Ohio, a state which we will always have a strong focus on."

The class features homegrown talent. Five student-athletes list their hometowns within the state of Ohio, four within a 30-mile radius of campus.

Additionally, three incoming Zips hail from Indiana, two from New York, and one each from Colorado, Illinois, and Texas.

One signee— junior LHP Austin Gussman (Thornton, Colo.)—  is currently enrolled in classes at Akron. 

Additionally, four are high school seniors, while nine are junior college transfers. Six are listed as pitchers, four as outfielders, and three as infielders.

Eleven of the signees played at least one other sport in high school. Nine earned academic honors for sporting a 3.5+ grade-point average.

"As we create a new baseball program at Akron, I'm delighted that we have generated interest in student-athletes who share the same vision and passion for The University of Akron as myself and my assistant coaches.  These student-athletes will have a lasting legacy at Akron," Sabo added.  "I look forward in working with these young men when Akron baseball takes the field in the fall of 2019."

Akron baseball returns to competitive play in the spring of 2020 as a member of the Mid-American Conference.

2019 Akron Baseball Commitments

Name                            Pos.    B/T    Elig.    Ht.       Wt.       Hometown | High School | Previous School
Chandler Cannon #        RHP    R/R  R-Jr.   6-0      185      Oregon, Ohio | Clay | McLennan CC
Jacob Clark                    LHP     L/L     Fr.     6-3      215      Muncie, Ind. | Cowan
Austin Domer #               OF      S/L     Jr.     5-9      180      Orrville, Ohio | Orrville | McHenry County CC
Colin Doyle                  RHP/IF  R/R    Fr.     6-1      220      Westerville, Ohio | St. Francis de Sales
Greyson Droste               1B      R/R    Fr.     6-2      215      Fishers, Ind. | Hamilton Southeastern
Zac Granger #                 OF     R/R    Jr.     6-2      205      Elmira, N.Y. | Horseheads | Lackawanna College
Austin Gussman $          LHP     L/L   R-Jr.   6-0      190      Thornton, Colo. | Horizon | Iowa Western CC
Kaito Hara                        IF      R/R    Fr.     5-5      145      Houston, Texas | IMG Academy     
Jackson Hickert #           RHP    R/R  R-Jr.   6-3      220      Hudson, Ohio | Hudson | Ventura College
Jerry Reinhart #                IF      R/R    Jr.     6-0      215      Batavia, N.Y. | Batavia | Lackawanna College
Bryant Shellenbarger #  OF/1B   L/R   R-Jr.   6-2      225      Mount Vernon, Ohio | Mount Vernon | Lincoln Trail
Conor Steinbaugh #        RHP    R/R    Jr.     6-0      195      Georgetown, Ill. | Georgetown Ridge Farm | Lincoln Trail   
Roy Thurman #               OF     R/R    Jr.     6-0      200      Indianapolis, Ind. | North Central | Lincoln Trail

Bios on each student-athlete is available using the link above

• Like 1

"An Ohio-focused recruiting strategy is distinctive and will open up opportunities for student-athletes within the State of Ohio to compete at the Division I level. While we will welcome out-of-state students if they approach us, we will focus our recruitment efforts for new Zips within the State of Ohio.".... says the University that can’t repair their track

• Like 1

1 hour ago, morris buttermaker said:

"An Ohio-focused recruiting strategy is distinctive and will open up opportunities for student-athletes within the State of Ohio to compete at the Division I level. While we will welcome out-of-state students if they approach us, we will focus our recruitment efforts for new Zips within the State of Ohio.".... says the University that can’t repair their track

5 Ohio kids.. a lot of talent around here that got passed by. 

Looks like we got the Jose Altuve of the IMG Academy. ;)

I'm pleased to at least get one recruit from there, considering Sabo's connections with the academy. Start building that pipeline now. 

I cannot wait to get baseball up-and-running again. Hey Can't, we brought back our baseball program to challenge you. When are you getting a men's soccer program? :screwks::NCAAC:

On 10/25/2018 at 8:23 AM, zippy5 said:

YSU is turning their program around as well. I don't have high hopes given that we're handicapping ourselves with limited scholarships and resources, but it'd be a lot of fun if they could surprise some people and make something happen.

On 10/26/2018 at 12:53 PM, Zipmeister said:

YSU baseball has sucked the big one for a long time so I was surprised by your comment and looked up the Penguin's W/L record for the last 10 years.  I don't see the turnaround.

17/18   18 wins, 38 losses

16/17   15-40

15/16   14-38

14/15    16-34

13/14    17-38

12/13    14-43

11/12    11-44

10/11    16-41

9/10       22-34

On 10/26/2018 at 4:44 PM, Zipmeister said:

Their conference record is just as unimpressive as their overall record detailed in my previous email.  Their 10 conference wins last season gave them a winning percentage of .345.

I don't like to play the insider card, but I've seen the Penguins play and they would be a very competitive DII team. 

On 10/26/2018 at 5:27 PM, zippy5 said:

We'll see!

FYI

https://d1baseball.com/conference/horizon-league/

YSU pulled out a 6-5 win today in the first game of a double header with Oakland.

With the victory YSU moved to 2-18 on the season.

Upon further consideration, I was wrong to criticize zippy5 for claiming their semi-new coach was turning their program around.

I just didn't realize the direction of the turn.

With the loss Oakland moved to 0-18.

In game 2 YSU turns the other cheek as Oakland wins and moves to 1-18

Gosh this is exciting.

Edited by Zipmeister
update
  • Haha 2

On 3/23/2019 at 6:26 PM, Zipmeister said:

YSU pulled out a 6-5 win today in the first game of a double header with Oakland.

With the victory YSU moved to 2-18 on the season.

Upon further consideration, I was wrong to criticize zippy5 for claiming their semi-new coach was turning their program around.

I just didn't realize the direction of the turn.

With the loss Oakland moved to 0-18.

In game 2 YSU turns the other cheek as Oakland wins and moves to 1-18

Gosh this is exciting.

How ya like dem apples, 'Meister? ;)

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, GJGood said:

Once the Zips do begin play next year will they likely  have any games televised on ESPN3 or ESPN+? Does the MAC have a contract with anyone for baseball broadcasting?

The contract with Disney Corp. is for all Zip Athletic events that are televised from our campus to be channeled thru Disney (ie ESPN).  Disney has the right to sub-lease the broadcast to other platforms.

We certainly haven't been having any problems signing players for next year.  Jordan Banfield is our baseball recruiting coordinator (I think), and this is what he tweets whenever we sign a player.

He tweets this at least two times per week.  Idk what kind of prospects our signees are, but having numbers certainly isn't going to be an issue.