Baseball's Coming Back

KNCLZip

One of my students recently told me that they were offered by UA to play baseball.  He was bummed because he said he'd much rather play D-I MAC baseball; but already made the commitment to another school (not D-I MAC).  Apparently there is a significant $-fee to pay in order to decommit from a program...who would have known?  Based on his home situation/background decommiting is not in the cards.

At any rate, I wanted to mention this because I talked to him for awhile and it kinda blew my mind a little bit how knowledgable he was about Akron's baseball situation and it showed me that local kids do pay attention to our baseball program.  Kinda got me a little excited about Akron Baseball for the first time...like ever.  Just thought I'd pass that good vibe along.  :) 

Edited by Balsy
  • Like 2

Just throwing this out there for you to think about.  I’ve been at the MAC Baseball Championships the last three years, and if you like college baseball, it is a blast.  Played at Sprenger Stadiumin Avon Lake (was All-Pro Freight Stadium before name change) which is only a little over an hour from campus.  The stadium is super fan friendly, with several micro brews on tap and high top tables and chairs on the mezzanine.  Kinda strange to watch ball on a fully artificial surface, even the mound, but still fun.  With Buffalo dropping out the new format is better, with 2 games the first day, then 3 the next two, and the Saturday and Sunday dependent on outcome.  It’ll give everyone a chance to see what we’ll be up against in 2020.  It’s even worth an overnight stay in the area with a HUGE number of pubs in the area after-game.  The staff and the MAC do a great job of this one.

Wednesday thru Saturday/Sunday May 22-26.

Edited by ZipsVoice
  • Thanks 1

On 4/19/2019 at 9:55 AM, Balsy said:

One of my students recently told me that they were offered by UA to play baseball.  He was bummed because he said he'd much rather play D-I MAC baseball; but already made the commitment to another school (not D-I MAC).  Apparently there is a significant $-fee to pay in order to decommit from a program...who would have known?  Based on his home situation/background decommiting is not in the cards.

At any rate, I wanted to mention this because I talked to him for awhile and it kinda blew my mind a little bit how knowledgable he was about Akron's baseball situation and it showed me that local kids do pay attention to our baseball program.  Kinda got me a little excited about Akron Baseball for the first time...like ever.  Just thought I'd pass that good vibe along.  :) 

Did it make the needle on your bullshit meter spike, like it did mine, when he told you about having to pay a significant $-fee to decommit?

2 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

Did it make the needle on your bullshit meter spike, like it did mine, when he told you about having to pay a significant $-fee to decommit?

I had the same reaction as Zipmeister....I have scoured the internet and talked to a few coaches of other ncaa sports, and can't find anything anywhere about a fee to decommit, let alone a significant one...anyone else know anything??

5 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

I had the same reaction as Zipmeister....I have scoured the internet and talked to a few coaches of other ncaa sports, and can't find anything anywhere about a fee to decommit, let alone a significant one...anyone else know anything??

That's not a thing. Maybe indirectly as there's less scholarship money available later in the game but yeah, no.

On 11/16/2017 at 1:35 PM, Steve1982 said:

Has anyone heard what capacity Bob Fritz will be filling for the "new" baseball team? Bob is a one time Baltimore Oriole and longtime Cincinnati  Red scout. Friends have told me he will be working with the Zips baseball.

Bob has been officially hired by Chris Sabo as part of his recruiting staff.

• Like 4

On 4/20/2019 at 12:34 PM, Zipmeister said:

Not at all actually.  He's one of my favorites students that I've had for multiple years.  There is nothing in his personality to just make up something as trivial as a $-fee to decommit from a program.

Perhaps it's not an NCAA fee, but perhaps an Enrollment fee of some sort that is not sports related?  That would make it more difficult to find out about.

17 hours ago, Balsy said:

Not at all actually.  He's one of my favorites students that I've had for multiple years.  There is nothing in his personality to just make up something as trivial as a $-fee to decommit from a program.

Perhaps it's not an NCAA fee, but perhaps an Enrollment fee of some sort that is not sports related?  That would make it more difficult to find out about.

It's definitely not an NCAA fee.

It also has nothing to do with decommitting.

14 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

It's definitely not an NCAA fee.

It also has nothing to do with decommitting.

At any rate; I was surprised how knowledgable he was about Akron baseball.  Gave me a little hope about the future of the program?

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/26/2018 at 1:23 PM, zippy5 said:

Dan Bertolini took over 2 years ago. Their recruiting has gotten way better since he stepped in, but those are 18-19 year old kids still. I don't like to play the insider card like some do but I know a lot of the area coaches and they're well respected and don't hesitate sending a kid there like before.. he's gotten a few recruits over Kent the past couple years. They'll be contending with Wright State in a few years. I didn't say it's turned around yet ;)  They won 5 conference games in 2016 and doubled that to 10 last year. 

Today is the last day of the regular season for the guins and the turnaround continues.  

It is likely, however,  that they will need to win the HL tourney to get into the NCAA playoffs as their 6 league wins have them solidly in last place in the league standings and 14 games out of first.

But, today's game is not meaningless.

A loss to the Panthers will drop their overall win percentage to .226, but a win will boost it all the way up to .245!!!

Go guins, keep the turnaround rolling.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

Today is the last day of the regular season for the guins and the turnaround continues.  

It is likely, however,  that they will need to win the HL tourney to get into the NCAA playoffs as their 6 league wins have them solidly in last place in the league standings and 14 games out of first.

But, today's game is not meaningless.

A loss to the Panthers will drop their overall win percentage to .226, but a win will boost it all the way up to .245!!!

Go guins, keep the turnaround rolling.

.245 it is; YEAH!!!

I think my all red outfit today was what provided the needed incentive to get this gigantic win.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, ZipsVoice said:

Can’t State gives up 5 runs inning one and loses to Ohio to start MAC Tourney.  Coach Szabo in the house.  2020, Baby!

Sabo scouting the other programs has to be a good thing, right?

• Like 2

Portage County CC FIRST team eliminated in MACs,  :D !!

Central Mich so good, Ball State close second....why is it KSU fans are such Richards?  But they do show up and support at least....

• Like 1

So Central Michigan is the real deal, but kinda a different approach by their coach Jordan Bischel, who’s brand-smacking new.  It’s interesting, it’s like a frat party without the keg in the dugout.  This is gonna sound sexist - TRIGGER WARNING - but it reminds me of the way women’s volleyball and softball and swimming teams act at games/matches...add to that testosterone.  They wear weird hats, they dance, they do coordinated cheers and whoops, they have a backboard in the dugout and play 3 on 3 during games.  And they have FUN, smile a lot, and play kick-ass baseball.  And their parents/fans are wacky too, dressing in costumes like a hot dog, a ketchup bottle, mustard bottle, fonzy the bear, even Santa Claus.  But not obnoxiously.  Interesting approach but for them it works....

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

So Central Michigan is the real deal, but kinda a different approach by their coach Jordan Bischel, who’s brand-smacking new.  It’s interesting, it’s like a frat party without the keg in the dugout.  This is gonna sound sexist - TRIGGER WARNING - but it reminds me of the way women’s volleyball and softball and swimming teams act at games/matches...add to that testosterone.  They wear weird hats, they dance, they do coordinated cheers and whoops, they have a backboard in the dugout and play 3 on 3 during games.  And they have FUN, smile a lot, and play kick-ass baseball.  And their parents/fans are wacky too, dressing in costumes like a hot dog, a ketchup bottle, mustard bottle, fonzy the bear, even Santa Claus.  But not obnoxiously.  Interesting approach but for them it works....

I think I will postpone jumping on the CMU bandwagon. 

It's bad enough they are locked into a weak conference schedule, but they compound the problem by playing an incredibly weak nonconference schedule (OOC SOS = 296 out of 299).

Man that's Weak.

On 5/25/2019 at 8:03 PM, Zipmeister said:

I think I will postpone jumping on the CMU bandwagon. 

It's bad enough they are locked into a weak conference schedule, but they compound the problem by playing an incredibly weak nonconference schedule (OOC SOS = 296 out of 299).

Man that's Weak.

The bad news for the CMUers - the Hurricanes beat them today by 5 field goals to oust them from the Tourney.

The good news for the CMUers -only 1 of the 5 B1G teams in the contest lasted longer than the MAC power.

Edited by Zipmeister

15 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

The bad news for the CMUers - the Hurricanes beat them today by 5 field goals to oust them from the Tourney.

The good news for the CMUers -only 1 of the 5 B1G teams in the contest lasted longer than the MAC power.

Yeah, but like my son likes to remind me when I bring something like this us in any sport...."Dad, at least they got there."

Hoping the Zippys do well in 2020 and beyond....looking forward to watching baseball again, no matter how bad at first.

Edited by ZipsVoice
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

Worth noting CMU was the team that sent the 'Canes to the loser's bracket in the first place where they later met up again. The MAC champs splitting with one of the most prestigious programs in the nation isn't too shabby. Difference here is pitching depth. When G5 teams are throwing thier #1 pitchers they have a legit shot most of the time but when a G5 third man in the rotation comes up against a P5 lineup, especially from the south, it usually doesn't go well for the G5 team.  Still better than it was a couple decades ago. The trend is getting better but a long way to go to get near equal footing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is awesome...5 and 3, 72 Ks...way to go Chris, hope someday we might have enough “Chrises” to have a Zips in the Pros thread for baseball.  Proud of this Zip. ?

Edited by ZipsVoice
supposed to read Ks, not KSU!
  • Like 2