Baseball's Coming Back

KNCLZip

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 11:11 PM, ZipsVoice said:

This is awesome...5 and 3, 72 Ks...way to go Chris, hope someday we might have enough “Chrises” to have a Zips in the Pros thread for baseball.  Proud of this Zip. ?

Since the pros would include minor leagues I would have to think there will be more once the program gets established again. Making MLB is always a bit of a long shot unless drafted very high.

I am keeping an eye on JT Brubaker right now. He is at AAA Indianapolis n the Pirates organization and was last year's minor league pitcher of the year for their organization. If he can get back to full health it may not be long before he is wearing a Pirates uniform. If he makes the majors he will instantly become my favorite player in MLB because not only did he go to my collegiate alma mater but also graduated from the same high school in New Carlisle, Ohio as my dad which is a very unusual combination.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zippy5 said:

Brubaker would have been in the rotation this year with all the injuries in Pittsburgh if he wasn't hurt himself. That was pretty bad luck

I agree. I think he will still get there though at least for September call-ups if not before, assuming he is healthy.

1 hour ago, GJGood said:

I agree. I think he will still get there though at least for September call-ups if not before, assuming he is healthy.

Hopefully. He had 22 starts last year in Indy so about 2/3 a season in AAA. I think he'd have to have a good second half of July and August for a September call-up. He's had 2 rehab starts in A+ so far so I'd assume he'll be in Indy relatively soon

17 hours ago, zippy5 said:

Hopefully. He had 22 starts last year in Indy so about 2/3 a season in AAA. I think he'd have to have a good second half of July and August for a September call-up. He's had 2 rehab starts in A+ so far so I'd assume he'll be in Indy relatively soon

Another question is; Will the Pirates be buyers or sellers at the trade deadline? If they are looking to add Brubaker could be attractive to a rebuilding team.

On 7/10/2019 at 8:26 AM, GJGood said:

Since the pros would include minor leagues I would have to think there will be more once the program gets established again. Making MLB is always a bit of a long shot unless drafted very high.

I am keeping an eye on JT Brubaker right now. He is at AAA Indianapolis n the Pirates organization and was last year's minor league pitcher of the year for their organization. If he can get back to full health it may not be long before he is wearing a Pirates uniform. If he makes the majors he will instantly become my favorite player in MLB because not only did he go to my collegiate alma mater but also graduated from the same high school in New Carlisle, Ohio as my dad which is a very unusual combination.

I usually go through all the Zips in the minors but did t think anyone else was keeping track.

There are a handful still in the independent leagues that I check in on. None within driving distance though. 

Edited by Spin

It's short notice but MLB.com is allowing free access to any game this weekend, and Chris is scheduled to start for the A's right now.

The free weekend also includes On Demand, so you can catch it later.
  • Thanks 1

That was fun to watch. All the announcers talked about in the first inning was how he is not a dominant pitcher but still "hangs on" somehow. How he went to a public high school, didn't go to an academy like you're "suppose to". They never mentioned college.

Then he preceded to shut down their team. 

They didn't say another word the rest of the game.  ROFL!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sad FYI. Current Triway coach and former Zip player & coach Sean Carmichael has died unexpectedly. Sean batted .342 during his time for our Zips (86-89). Great guy who deeply loved his family and the feeling was mutual. He will be missed. 

Edited by scottditzen
  • Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...

Nice look! They already look like a team. Can't wait to see the product they put on the field. I bet they surprise many opponents.Keep grinding guys. And welcome back to campus.

• Like 1

Chris is 9-5 3.67 for the A's with a 1.192 WHIP. The surprising A's are actually in the wild card race 1.5 games behind the Tribe. The Rays are 2.5 behind CLE.

Pirates prospect JT Brubaker is back on the IL. He's listed on the 7 Day IL, hopefully he'll be ready to go for the September call-ups.

Dodger's prospect Devon Ahart  is hitting .304 7 61 for the Dodgers' AA affiliate. This is his third season in Fargo-Moorhead and while he continues to improve, the clock is ticking.

James Meeker (2-3 3.23) and Josh Lipania (0-4 5.84) for Washington (Frontier League) this season. With this crazy summer I missed them at Lake Erie. 

Edited by Spin

On 8/30/2019 at 9:04 AM, Spin said:

Chris is 9-5 3.67 for the A's with a 1.192 WHIP.

Should be 10-5 but got a little sloppy in last start, despite his offense scoring 7 in 5 innings.  I'm sure not trying to rain on a great season so far for Chris, love he's getting the ball, the starts and the performances......

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, DannyHoke said:

What does everyone think about bringing baseball back?  Does anyone plan on coming out to games?

It was a bad PR hit when the team was cut, but once it was cut they should have just left it for dead. I'd rather the athletic department focus their attention and resources on improving the other sports. Even if the baseball program is self funded, as is claimed, its going to be a pretty much a club team facing off against actual D1 schools. I can't imagine why anyone would want to watch.

Edited by kreed5120