Baseball's Coming Back

KNCLZip

Earlier today he allowed 1 run in 7 innings to get the W in his first career post season start against the White Sox in game 2 of their playoff series.

It seems the A's have found their ace.

I wonder what it would take to get him back for a game before he reports to Spring Training the last week of February? The A's don't play in Cleveland until mid August.

Edited by Spin

Chris was named the game 1 starter in the second round of the playoffs. The A’s play the Astros at 4:00 Monday. The game is in Oakland and is onTBS. 

I’ll be DVR'ing it and watching when I get home from work at 8:00ish.

Edited by Spin
  • Like 1

Very Zip-centric article from the San Fran Chronicle here with stories from his Akron teammates.  Apparently he was an early-day Rec Center Wonder of the hoops.

"A second-team All-Mid-American Conference closer, he was drafted in the 16th round in 2011 by the White Sox and debuted three years later as the fourth Zips player to reach the majors. He also flashed his athleticism on the rec basketball court, where, Romick confirmed: “He can throw down.” "

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sfchronicle.com/athletics/amp/A-s-Chris-Bassitt-fueled-by-energy-drinks-15620507.php

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Spin said:

385 pitchers pitched in the AL this season. That puts Chris in the top 2%. 

The 8th best builder in the Universe Championships would not make the finals, but with over a thousand professional body builders the 8th best builder would be in the top 0.8%. The Universe and Cy Young are similar in that nobody other than the most diehard fan is likely to remember who finished anywhere other than 1st in either event. Being ranked in the top 2% of all pitchers in the AL isn't bad and he didn't have to wear a skimpy bathing suit to accomplish that ranking.  

1 hour ago, Spin said:

I'm a Zips fan, and take pride in their accomplishments. Especially those who overcame a lot in their pro careers.

Even if they are not GOAT.

I'll bet just about everyone on ZipsNation takes pride in the accomplishments former Zips even if the former Zip didn't have to overcome a lot.

Go Zips.

3 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

The 8th best builder in the Universe Championships would not make the finals, but with over a thousand professional body builders the 8th best builder would be in the top 0.8%. The Universe and Cy Young are similar in that nobody other than the most diehard fan is likely to remember who finished anywhere other than 1st in either event. Being ranked in the top 2% of all pitchers in the AL isn't bad and he didn't have to wear a skimpy bathing suit to accomplish that ranking.  

I vote Zipmeister for Mr. Olympia. He's got guns and all. ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I haven't had a lot of luck in the past contacting Spuds in the past.

Going to other college sites I penciled together a partial schedule. Several other programs don't have their schedule out yet (kind of late compared to the past). Enough to start making plans. They're at Miami 5/21-23, we have friends down there. 

Most of the MAC games are in April and May this season. 

• 2 weeks later...

The schedule is posted.

Looks like four game weekends (with a double header on Saturday) is the new standard on college baseball. That's going to be tough on the pitching staff, especially for (basically) a brand new program. Throw in a week day one-off against usually a local non-con opponent and off we go. That makes sense, no more trips to California and Texas,  no non-conference overnight $tays. Maybe the virus brought about some common sense. Although I wanted to play Marshall again, our first win since returning ;)

My big question is will fans be allowed? Or just family? If fans stand along the fence or sit on the grassy knoll, will we be sent away? It's not an admission sport anyway. If not ZDN did a pretty good job of making the games available. 

Edited by Spin
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

We play almost the whole month of March at home, and most of May on the road. When the weather is nice. 

Oh well if you're going to live in Ohio you gotta be tough.

• 2 weeks later...

Play ball!!!

The Zips won the first game against Olivet 13-0. We're up 4-1 in the bottom of the 4th in game 2. The game is on ZDN.

I hope to make it out Wednesday and/or Thursday afternoons. We host Wittenburg Wednesday @ 3:00 (forecast for 62' and cloudy) and Salem Thursday @ 2:00 (forecast at .60' and 50% chance of rain).

Edited by Spin
  • Like 1