Baseball's Coming Back

KNCLZip

Baseball goes to 4-1 beating Grand Valley State 5-3.

They're not exactly playing College World Series programs by any means, but these games will help them get their rhythm and confidence for the MAC games starting next Friday.

• 3 weeks later...

Well whaddya know...

post.png

AKRON, Ohio – Junior starting pitcher Conor Steinbaugh (Georgetown, Ill.) was recognized by D1Baseball.com after an impressive start to the season which has Steinbaugh leading the nation in walks allowed per nine inning as stated in College Baseball's Control Artists: 2.0 on Tuesday.

Steinbaugh is currently ranked No. 1 in the NCAA for walks allowed per nine innings and leads the nation in strikeout-to-walk ratio, highlighted by 33 strikeouts without issuing a base on balls. He leads the Mid-American Conference in both statistical categories as well as walks and hits per inning pitched with a 0.78 WHIP and ranks No. 16 in the NCAA.

Steingbaugh currently owns a 2-2 overall record with five starting appearances, 28.1 innings pitched and a 3.49 earned run average. He limits the opponent to a .206 batting average, allowing 22 hits with four doubles and three homeruns to go along with 11 earned runs and two hit batters.

Akron will be back in action at Skeeles Field for a #MACtion weekend series against the Ball State Cardinals. Game one is slated for Friday, April 9 at 3 p.m. followed by a Saturday doubleheader and Sunday 9-inning affair, both days starting at Noon. Fans can follow the action by Zips Digital Network live stream or via live stats on GoZips.com.

Edited by Spin
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Im sorry but if your team tests positive, you should have to forfeit. Other programs stay n the field without a positive all season...

And yes I have been to Dayton but that’s no excuse.

12 minutes ago, Spin said:

Im sorry but if your team tests positive, you should have to forfeit. Other programs stay n the field without a positive all season...

And yes I have been to Dayton but that’s no excuse.

I disagree with your first statement. I think if the other team tests positive they should have to forfeit, but if my team tests positive there should be no adverse consequences.

And  I'm confused by your second statement. For what would having been in Dayton not be an excuse?

On 4/20/2021 at 4:02 PM, Zipmeister said:

I disagree with your first statement. I think if the other team tests positive they should have to forfeit, but if my team tests positive there should be no adverse consequences.

And  I'm confused by your second statement. For what would having been in Dayton not be an excuse?

It was a joke about the city, but probably a bad one. The campus is getting rocked by the virus, probably in part because of the socio-economic challenges of the area.

Was tracking todays 13-1 route at the hands of Central Michigan on D1 baseball.

I finally noticed that Akron may be the only D1 team that does not host the box score for home games on the D1 baseball site.

Kind of Bush league. Are we saving a boatload of money by not providing the box score info for home games?

According to the box score hosted by Central Michigan a whopping 47 spectators were in attendance for todays game.

Sounds like folks are really glad to have Zips baseball back.

What's going on?

Edited by Zipmeister
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

I finally noticed that Akron may be the only D1 team that does not host the box score for home games on the D1 baseball site.

Kind of Bush league. Are we saving a boatload of money by not providing the box score info for home games?

According to the box score hosted by Central Michigan a whopping 47 spectators were in attendance for todays game.

What's going on?

Hey! We jumped another 6 spots up the RPI. Losing to D1 teams seems to be better in this regard than beating D2 and D3 teams.

19 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

You’re talking about the same site that had the same “Player of the Week” for over a year. And the player skipped town that long ago.

It’s pretty sad a “major university” maintains its websites so well. Makes you wonder about the online facilities used in education...  If you were a student looking at different universities and checking out their websites, what would you think comparing Akron to say, a Malone (Let alone the three other major universities in the region).

Go Zips!!!

19 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

What's going on?

Part of it is the weather, there was still snow on my porch this morning when I left for work this morning.

Part of it is the losing associated with a brand new program.

Along that line people are still pissed about the 100+ year old program being axed a few years ago. It was established, won games and tournament rounds, put players in MLB. That was taken away by the. University.

There are fans who don’t want to put a lot of faith in a program that could be cut again tomorrow. I hear several reasons.

Mostly, it’s the weather. Fans are skipping out on MLB because of the crappy weather. 

Come to think of it, it’s very similar to the football program in those regards...

Edited by Spin

I went to parts of the Wittenburg & Grand Valley State games.  

It's actually really nice what they've done with the stadium setup.  The bleachers behind the plate were closed both games I attended.  But there is a hill all the way around the stadium from behind the home dugout wrapping around to right field & people can, and do, bring lawn chairs and watch the game through the fence all around the field.  It's pretty cool.  Baseball's a nice, relaxing game to watch.  Perfect summer game.  When the weather's nice & if the team becomes at least competitive, Skeeles Field has a lot of potential to be a nice place to catch a game.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, zippy5 said:

Just a knock on the stadium. Zips fans aren't the greatest at attending for a variety of reasons, for almost all sports

I was adding to your post responding to Meister about the attendance. I don't think we've ever had much of a disagreement on the ball team.

• Like 1

Some MAC baseball sources:

https://www.hustlebelt.com/mac-baseball

https://d1baseball.com/conference/mid-american-conference/

https://www.baseball-reference.com/schools/?key_school=bf479b5c

https://d1baseball.com/

http://baseballnews.com/

Some trivia fodder: Keith Dambrot attended Firestone High School, playing baseball and point guard in basketball for the school teams. In college at the University of Akron, he played third base on the Akron Zips baseball team (of which he was captain and MVP) for the school, establishing what at the time was a school record for career hit by pitch, with 28. He graduated in 1982 with a degree in Management. In 1984 he earned an MBA from the University of Akron.

Edited by Spin
  • Thanks 1