Baseball's Coming Back

KNCLZip

37 minutes ago, Spin said:

Well lets fire the coach every year for not being able to recruit underclassmen, bring in a couple upperclassmen transfers, and win the CWS the first year.

Ted? Stepien?? Is that you???

I didn't say anything about firing the guy; my point is your evaluation of him is outrageously high. All factors considered, C- is closer to the mark.

Well high grades are going to be a lot tougher to get from me as time goes on.

Now if he's the equivalent of 1-17 this time next year...

Edited by Spin
  • Like 1

Alumni watch

Chris Bassett (OAK) is 6-2 3.44 with 86 K's in 81 IP and a 1.01 WHIP

Bassitt.jpg

JT Brubaker (PIT) is 4-5 3.90 with 62 K's in 60 IP and a 1.00 WHIP

JTBru.jpg

Edited by Spin
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

JT is scheduled to start against the Tribe Sunday at 12:30 pm. He’s facing Sam Hentges 1-1 7.86.The game is on Bally Sports Great Lakes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well now we know why JT has such good numbers, but a bad W-L record. Pittsburgh is horrible. The sad part is they almost swept the Tribe.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fantasy Baseball Takeaways: Chris Bassitt rolling along   

Chris Bassitt has to be the best pitcher hardly anyone talks about, so let's talk about him.

Bassitt threw seven bagels at the Rangers on Wednesday (3 H, 1 BB, 7 K), scoring his ninth win and taking his ERA down to 3.04. His WHIP is a tidy 1.03. If you rank all starting pitchers in banked 5x5 value, Bassitt comes in at 14th.

Bassitt’s stuff doesn’t blow anyone away. His average fastball is a modest 93.2 mph. But he’s pushed his strikeout clip over one per inning, he still has elite control (2.28 BB/9), and he’s been pretty good at keeping the ball in the park. (If you subscribe to xFIP — and I don’t — he’s been too lucky with the homers. The xFIP stat says Bassitt should have a 3.89 ERA. Bassitt’s Savant-suggested ERA is more in line with my thinking, 3.20.)

As you’d expect, Bassitt’s best foot comes at home, in roomy Oakland — 2.55 ERA, 0.93 WHIP. The ERA jumps almost a run on the road. The division probably turns into a wash; the Astros and Angels score plenty of runs, the Mariners and Rangers don’t. I suspect many fantasy managers drafted Bassitt as a support arm, but he’s a fantasy No. 3 at worst going forward.

BAssitt.jpg

Edited by Spin
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Spin said:

Fantasy Baseball Takeaways: Chris Bassitt rolling along   

Chris Bassitt has to be the best pitcher hardly anyone talks about, so let's talk about him.

Bassitt threw seven bagels at the Rangers on Wednesday (3 H, 1 BB, 7 K), scoring his ninth win and taking his ERA down to 3.04. His WHIP is a tidy 1.03. If you rank all starting pitchers in banked 5x5 value, Bassitt comes in at 14th.

Bassitt’s stuff doesn’t blow anyone away. His average fastball is a modest 93.2 mph. But he’s pushed his strikeout clip over one per inning, he still has elite control (2.28 BB/9), and he’s been pretty good at keeping the ball in the park. (If you subscribe to xFIP — and I don’t — he’s been too lucky with the homers. The xFIP stat says Bassitt should have a 3.89 ERA. Bassitt’s Savant-suggested ERA is more in line with my thinking, 3.20.)

As you’d expect, Bassitt’s best foot comes at home, in roomy Oakland — 2.55 ERA, 0.93 WHIP. The ERA jumps almost a run on the road. The division probably turns into a wash; the Astros and Angels score plenty of runs, the Mariners and Rangers don’t. I suspect many fantasy managers drafted Bassitt as a support arm, but he’s a fantasy No. 3 at worst going forward.

BAssitt.jpg

He’s the A’s ace from Akron 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Chris played the Tribe strong, after giving up a homer to Bradley Zimmer on the first pitch. He went 7 innings striking out 8 and giving up two more earned runs on 6 hits.

Of course with the A's batting prowess, that resulted in a loss.

I shot a couple graphics that were shown in the game....

What that kid could accomplish on a team that can hit itself out of a wet paper bag...

BAssitt1.jpg

Bassitt2.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Chris Bassitt pitched against the Tribe today giving up 3 hits in 6 shutout innings to take the win, final score 17-0. 

No wonder Terry Francona took the rest of the season off...

• Like 1

On 6/21/2021 at 7:13 PM, Spin said:

Well now we know why JT has such good numbers, but a bad W-L record. Pittsburgh is horrible. The sad part is they almost swept the Tribe.

Unfortunately, JT has been getting clobbered since your post.  He was having difficultly locating the strike zone, his delivery got out of sorts, and he is giving up a TON of dingers.

My hope was for JT to be one of the few serviceable starters for the Buccos, but the jury is still out with his latest performance.  I do give him credit for being positive and upbeat, despite playing for the worst owner in professional sports!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...