Baseball's Coming Back

KNCLZip

Zips in the Pros:

Chris is 3-2 in 12 starts with a 4.35 ERA and a 1.24 WHIP. He has 21 K's in 29.2 IP. The Mets are 39-22.

JT is 0-6 in 12 starts with a 4.60 ERA and a 1.41 WHIP. He has 60 K's in 58.2 IP. The Pirates are 24-34.

41 minutes ago, Spin said:

Zips in the Pros:

Chris is 3-2 in 12 starts with a 4.35 ERA and a 1.24 WHIP. He has 21 K's in 29.2 IP. The Mets are 39-22.

JT is 0-6 in 12 starts with a 4.60 ERA and a 1.41 WHIP. He has 60 K's in 58.2 IP. The Pirates are 24-34.

I know these are the two Zips in the Major Leagues, but do we have anyone else playing professionally in the minors?

13 minutes ago, GJGood said:

I know these are the two Zips in the Major Leagues, but do we have anyone else playing professionally in the minors?

Pitcher John Creel (went pro after 2021 season) is currently in A Modesto after pitching well in one appearance with AAA Tacoma in Seattle's system. 

Pitcher James Meeker (A Zip in 2014 and 2015) is playing independant ball for Wisconsin. 

All Akron alumni

• Like 1

Chris pitched 8 scoreless innings tonight giving up 3 hits and 0 runs striking out 7 to help the Mets beat the Brewers 4-0.

He's 5-4 with a 3.89 ERA with 81 K's and a 1.17 WHIP.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, GJGood said:

So, I know baseball at Akron is different than football, basketball, or soccer but who should we be looking at for the head coach position? Who would you like to see?

I would look at head coaches with college experience, who have been through recruiting and playing the transfer portal. And strong strategy skills. Able to recruit and get on the same page with coaches and scouts. I can't think of anybody off the top of my head.

A LOT depends on just how serious they want the program to be. That starts with the athletics department. They obviously want the program to improve, but how serious are they? .500 in the MAC and go a round or two in the MAC tourney? MAC contender? If they have delusions of grandeur, expecting annual trips to Omaha in June, they need a geography lesson...

On 6/21/2022 at 9:11 PM, Spin said:

I would look at head coaches with college experience, who have been through recruiting and playing the transfer portal. And strong strategy skills. Able to recruit and get on the same page with coaches and scouts. I can't think of anybody off the top of my head.

A LOT depends on just how serious they want the program to be. That starts with the athletics department. They obviously want the program to improve, but how serious are they? .500 in the MAC and go a round or two in the MAC tourney? MAC contender? If they have delusions of grandeur, expecting annual trips to Omaha in June, they need a geography lesson...

Any of these names would be huge upgrades and give the Zips a real chance. Not sure about Mee, never was able to find much success at Toledo and didn’t seem to have much positive impact the last two years. 

image.thumb.jpeg.8600b526a9ef15550830d35b2b1d6f01.jpeg

Edited by Potato11
Crop photo
  • Like 1

^Very interesting names. Experience at the college level, either Andy Cannizaro or Greg Beals would be a huge upgrade. Beals was 296-105 coaching i the B10 pre-COVID. Canizaro went 40-30 in the SEC but couldn't keep it in his pants. In one+ season there it doesn't really show how he does at recruiting. Mee? Agreed, a 4-21 record in the MAC 16 years in. Heck Sabo went 11-29...

Oh darn, Banfield won't come back and poach our roster again. I guess we'll manage. 🙄 

I have a very technical take on our search for our new baseball coach. It is summarized in this adage "pee on Banfield! Good riddance. We will be better w/o him." 

• Thanks 1

On 6/14/2022 at 10:59 PM, Spin said:

J.T. is 0-7 with a team leading 4.50 ERA and 65 K's, and a 1.37 WHIP.

JT has gotten out of his slump, taking W's against the Brewers and Cubs to go 2-7 4.28 with 82 K's. Not a bad record considering the Pirates are 28th in runs scored. 

C Bass is 6-5 4.01 with a 1.15 WHIP. 

55 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

Someone needs to break this thread into two parts; one making discussions about former Zips a separate thread.

I had one for the season and everyone migrated back here...

On 6/12/2022 at 7:52 PM, Spin said:

Pitcher John Creel (went pro after 2021 season) is currently in A Modesto after pitching well in one appearance with AAA Tacoma in Seattle's system. 

Pitcher James Meeker (A Zip in 2014 and 2015) is playing independant ball for Wisconsin. 

All Akron alumni

Found another resource, Zips in the MLB draft

8 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

Someone needs to break this thread into two parts; one making discussions about former Zips a separate thread.

Someone should have moderator privileges, and can move individual posts to. A New thread. “Zips baseball in the pros”. Maybe eventually baseballs own section 🥸

On 6/20/2022 at 11:28 PM, GJGood said:

So, I know baseball at Akron is different than football, basketball, or soccer but who should we be looking at for the head coach position? Who would you like to see?

Baseball is different than football everywhere, not just at Akron.

On 6/30/2022 at 4:22 PM, Spin said:

^Very interesting names. Experience at the college level, either Andy Cannizaro or Greg Beals would be a huge upgrade. Beals was 296-105 coaching i the B10 pre-COVID. Canizaro went 40-30 in the SEC but couldn't keep it in his pants. In one+ season there it doesn't really show how he does at recruiting. Mee? Agreed, a 4-21 record in the MAC 16 years in. Heck Sabo went 11-29...

Oh darn, Banfield won't come back and poach our roster again. I guess we'll manage. 🙄 

I get the point about poaching the roster, but is it really our roster or was it his roster? If the players have zero relationship with the head coach is it really surprising they left? It’s not like somebody forced them to leave…You’d think their head coach could convince them to stay? No?

5 hours ago, Potato11 said:

I get the point about poaching the roster, but is it really our roster or was it his roster? If the players have zero relationship with the head coach is it really surprising they left? It’s not like somebody forced them to leave…You’d think their head coach could convince them to stay? No?

Good point. Hearing about Sabo being kind of an... oddball... sheds new light on the unfortunate situation.  

• Like 2