Baseball's Coming Back

KNCLZip

8 hours ago, Potato11 said:

I get the point about poaching the roster, but is it really our roster or was it his roster? If the players have zero relationship with the head coach is it really surprising they left? It’s not like somebody forced them to leave…You’d think their head coach could convince them to stay? No?

True, he had a relationship with the players, and apparently Sabo didn’t. He saw how things were going to go. He wasn’t getting his point across and how things were going to go and took Oakland up. And why leave these guys you’ve been working with and the don’t want to be there either. 

I can soften my stance on that episode. I can see him pointing this out to the AD and getting “But he’s Chris Sabo!!!” 

On 7/3/2022 at 11:02 AM, Potato11 said:

I get the point about poaching the roster, but is it really our roster or was it his roster? If the players have zero relationship with the head coach is it really surprising they left? It’s not like somebody forced them to leave…You’d think their head coach could convince them to stay? No?

I was critical on Banfield leaving and taking players with him. Your comments put those actions in a different light and gives me more to consider. Thanks for your thoughts. I'm not so negative towards him now and even somewhat sympathetic as I learn more about the head coach's style and character. I appreciate your post and am glad we are in the market for a new head coach. 

5 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

I was critical on Banfield leaving and taking players with him. Your comments put those actions in a different light and gives me more to consider. Thanks for your thoughts. I'm not so negative towards him now and even somewhat sympathetic as I learn more about the head coach's style and character. I appreciate your post and am glad we are in the market for a new head coach. 

That’s the most important thing, we have an opportunity to go hire a real coach now and need to take advantage of it. In retrospect, imo we probably let the wrong coach leave, because that first year’s roster had lots of talent, plus other high end recruits committed (including the 2022 horizon league freshman of the year), but that’s water under the bridge. We are where we are and Guthrie needs to go get someone that can build a program. Unfortunately they’ll basically be starting from scratch, again…

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2019 at 5:03 PM, scottditzen said:

Sad FYI. Current Triway coach and former Zip player & coach Sean Carmichael has died unexpectedly. Sean batted .342 during his time for our Zips (86-89). Great guy who deeply loved his family and the feeling was mutual. He will be missed. 

Sean's son Derek was hired by Hoban 

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

Hoooooooly Mackeral, Andy!!! (I hope there are other Hoolihan and Big Chuck fans here?)

Coach Beals has a 568-460-1 record, 325-258-1 with tOSU (133-125 in B10 with 2 conference champs). He has experience building college baseball programs in the snow belt and has connections. 

Charles Guthrie means business. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Edited by Spin
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Spin said:

Hoooooooly Mackeral, Andy!!! (I hope there are other Hoolihan and Big Chuck fans here?)

Coach Beals has a 568-460-1 record, 325-258-1 with tOSU (133-125 in B10 with 2 conference champs). He has experience building college baseball programs in the snow belt and has connections. 

Charles Guthrie means business. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Fortunately we do not have to rely soley on Hoolihan and Big Chuck fans to appreciate your Holy mackeral (sic) Andy reference.

We can add fans of the old Amos and Andy show or the Treniers.

Edited by Zipmeister
  • Like 2

There's been a JT Brubaker sighting. He made the SportsCenter Top Ten Plays, sort of. OK it was an outfielder making a great catch, but when you play for the Pirates, you take what you can get...

• Haha 1

Zips in the Pros update

Chris Bassitt is 7-7 3.83 with 98 hits and 117 K's for the Mets

JT is 2-9 4.40 with 113 hits and 105 K's for the Pirates

The Mets are five games ahead in their division. The Pirates, not so much.

• Like 1