Scarborough's next move...

http://www.uakron.edu/im/news/three-year-program-announced-to-fund-strategic-growth-and-address-budget-issues

• Eliminating 215 positions via a planned reduction in workforce. No faculty layoffs are occurring.
  • Eliminating baseball.
  • Eliminating non-academic programming in EJ Thomas Hall, except for rentals.
  • Outsourcing dining services.
  • Renegotiating healthcare plans.
  • Increasing the cost share of retiree dependent coverage.
  • Changing the University’s retire/rehire policy.
  • Centralizing course scheduling.
  • Reducing central costs, such as legal fees and University memberships.

As a former programmer for ZPN, the non-academic non-use of EJ really, really burns me.

http://www.uakron.edu/im/news/three-year-program-announced-to-fund-strategic-growth-and-address-budget-issues

• Eliminating 215 positions via a planned reduction in workforce. No faculty layoffs are occurring.
  • Eliminating baseball.
  • Eliminating non-academic programming in EJ Thomas Hall, except for rentals.
  • Outsourcing dining services.
  • Renegotiating healthcare plans.
  • Increasing the cost share of retiree dependent coverage.
  • Changing the University’s retire/rehire policy.
  • Centralizing course scheduling.
  • Reducing central costs, such as legal fees and University memberships.

As a former programmer for ZPN, the non-academic non-use of EJ really, really burns me.

The one thing that troubles me is any outsourcing/privatizing. As a Chicagoan who's lived through two mayors hellbent on privatizing everything in sight, it never ends up benefiting anyone other than the company that gets the contract/lease. Costs go up, quality of product/service goes down and any avenue for redress gets shut down by binding contracts.

I don't know. Ive been to a a few colleges since leaving UA over the last few years, UA is one of the only schools left that runs their own dining services. Each school's Dining services runs similar (if not slightly better) than what UA runs. The important issue is if much of the Auxilary services- Auntie Anne's Starbucks, Etc. will stay.

The one thing that troubles me is any outsourcing/privatizing. As a Chicagoan who's lived through two mayors hellbent on privatizing everything in sight, it never ends up benefiting anyone other than the company that gets the contract/lease. Costs go up, quality of product/service goes down and any avenue for redress gets shut down by binding contracts.

Outsourcing isn't always a disaster, but the disasters make the news and can be pretty disgusting. Michigan privatized dining services in its prison system, which has produced a number of cringeworthy stories such as Aramark employees having sex with inmates, maggots found in food, etc. Someone at UA is going to have to be responsible for keeping a close eye on the dining services outsource company to make sure corners aren't cut.

Outsourcing isn't always a disaster, but the disasters make the news and can be pretty disgusting. Michigan privatized dining services in its prison system, which has produced a number of cringeworthy stories such as Aramark employees having sex with inmates, maggots found in food, etc. Someone at UA is going to have to be responsible for keeping a close eye on the dining services outsource company to make sure corners aren't cut.

Aramark got a hold of the contract to clean Chicago schools. Now the schools are filthy and literally rat infested. Meanwhile, those janitors no longer have a decent, lower middle class salary, some health care and a pension. Instead they've been replaced with minimum wage contractors and the difference in pay is no longer being spent in the local economy but, rather, gets counted up and sent to Philadelphia.

• 2 weeks later...

The no-spin statement:

http://www.ohio.com/news/break-news/ua-president-s-statement-on-rescinded-fees-1.609589

“Following the passage of the state budget, The University of Akron has worked with the Chancellor’s Office of the Ohio Department of Higher Education and with legislators to address how best our institution can achieve a sustainable financial position that protects academic quality and ensures the investments necessary to enable the University to fulfill its mission going forward.

“The University’s Board of Trustees approved a FY2016 budget on June 10, prior to the adoption of the state budget. In addition to reducing expenditures significantly, the budget included several fee increases, including an upper-division program fee. The state budget adopted on June 30 contains an increase in the State Share of Instruction for higher education, with approximately $4 million in additional funding to UA. We are grateful to the legislature under the leadership of Senate President Keith Faber and House Speaker Cliff Rosenberger and to Governor John Kasich for the additional funding.

“We also appreciate the intention of Chancellor John Carey and State Representative Kirk Schuring to work with the state legislature to resolve a unique financial burden on UA resulting from its status as the only university participating in the School Employees Retirement System of Ohio (SERS). Due to SERS regulations, UA is forced to pay a ‘surcharge’ on its contribution to the system that artificially increases the university’s payment by more than $1.2 million annually.

“I am asking our Board of Trustees to approve retracting the upper-division program fee previously established and amending the FY2016 operating budget accordingly. I will make that recommendation at a special Board meeting on July 27. The net change to the University’s budget will be relatively flat due to the increase in state funding and the planned changes related to SERS.”

Jonathan Pavloff, Chairman of UA’s Board of Trustees, said, “The conversations with Chancellor Carey and legislative leadership have resulted in them better understanding and appreciating the steps we are taking to strengthen our financial position so that we can maintain our academic excellence and invest in the growth of the University. Their support of our efforts is very much appreciated.”

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2015/07/university_of_akron_will_save_15_million_from_abolishing_213_positions.html#incart_m-rpt-1

This is the first time I've seen the actual list of positions eliminated. While it's not good thing to lose your position, it is interesting to see how the positions spanned all the colleges and at all levels. From admin. assistants to Directors to Vice Presidents...

Never an easy thing to do... It would appear he also eliminated his admin. assistant... Sr Exec Administrative Asst Office of the President/Office of the President.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2015/07/university_of_akron_will_save_15_million_from_abolishing_213_positions.html#incart_m-rpt-1

This is the first time I've seen the actual list of positions eliminated. While it's not good thing to lose your position, it is interesting to see how the positions spanned all the colleges and at all levels. From admin. assistants to Directors to Vice Presidents... Never an easy thing to do, it would appear he also eliminated his admin. assistant...

Sr Exec Administrative Asst Office of the President/Office of the President

Thanks for sharing. Maybe it will quiet some questioning why there were no admin cuts

This is the first time I've seen the actual list of positions eliminated. While it's not good thing to lose your position, it is interesting to see how the positions spanned all the colleges and at all levels. From admin. assistants to Directors to Vice Presidents...

Never an easy thing to do... It would appear he also eliminated his admin. assistant... Sr Exec Administrative Asst Office of the President/Office of the President.

Head Volleyball Coach?

A lot of academic advising personnel at the same time UA just brought in a private "student success" firm for 840K/year. Hmmmm.

Head Volleyball Coach?

From this mornings Beacon Journal " The former volleyball coach,...was reassigned to student Recreation & Wellness Services last year when a new volleyball coach was hired. His $106,451 job is vacant. He resigned effective June 26."

In looking at the condition of the University and range of cuts needed/ planned, I have to think more sports will be cut, and I would expect a salary roll back in a yr or two on some well paid coaches-- or across the board.

already been stated that that won't be happening.