Scarborough's next move...

I don't mind negative press. It holds the university accountable. I think UA would be in a lot better shape had the ABJ taken this line during the Proenza regime rather than just parroting his grandiose vision. Had they been willing to dig into and publicize possible long term financial risks from all the debt he was loading up, it may have caused him to pause before green lighting some of these projects and UA wouldn't be trying dig itself out of the hole he dug with his golden shovel. Perhaps they realize their mistake, and this is a bit of overcompensating.

• Like 1

The University of Akron's commandant of the Corps of Cadets and director of the Leadership Academy will earn $100,000 a year.

Wow, what a joke. :rofl: I would love to hear a justification for this salary, espeically considering 200+ positions were just eliminated. I guarantee of those 200+ positions eliminated, the $100,000 salary of the "Commandant" could be used for 2 positions that more directly affect the students. (3 if you were to use some of UA's plans to hire full-time faculty for $32,000 a year).

LeBron James, University of Akron pave way for college scholarships for inner-city children

... On Thursday, James announced a partnership between his foundation, the university, and JPMorgan Chase in which any child under James' mentorship who graduates from Akron Public Schools and meets yet-to-be-determined testing, attendance, and community-service criteria would receive a free ride to the University of Akron.

The scholarships, paid for by the university, will cover tuition and Akron's general services fee -- currently worth about $9,500 a year. ...

... The university will immediately rename its education department the LeBron James Family Foundation College of Education – likely the first time a college of education has been renamed after an athlete, according to officials from Akron and James' foundation.

Also, for at least the next five years, James will star in annual commercial campaigns marketing the university. ...

• Like 1

Wow, what a joke. :rofl: I would love to hear a justification for this salary, espeically considering 200+ positions were just eliminated. I guarantee of those 200+ positions eliminated, the $100,000 salary of the "Commandant" could be used for 2 positions that more directly affect the students. (3 if you were to use some of UA's plans to hire full-time faculty for $32,000 a year).

I like to think a head of a military-like group that instills discipline and leadership in you would have much more of an impact on someone's life and resume than a sociology professor ever would.

Since APS students already qualify for free tuition at UofA if they meet certain (very modest) thresholds of GPA and testing, should we assume that LeBron's students will have a lower goal that of what is in place already

What are the current thresholds?

You would be shocked to learn what some head coaches and assistant coaches earn at UA.

I like to think a head of a military-like group that instills discipline and leadership in you would have much more of an impact on someone's life and resume than a sociology professor ever would.

Not if you're a student who doesn't care about playing fake army while at college. If UA is going to be recruiting students needing the impact of the leader of the school's fake army more than that of the faculty, I really feel sorry for where UA is headed.

If this turns out anything like Texas A&M, the fake army is going to turn off more potential students than it attracts.

• Like 1

Not if you're a student who doesn't care about playing fake army while at college. If UA is going to be recruiting students needing the impact of the leader of the school's fake army more than that of the faculty, I really feel sorry for where UA is headed.

If this turns out anything like Texas A&M, the fake army is going to turn off more potential students than it attracts.

A&M has an enrollment of 60k. I think they are doing just fine despite that cadet corp they are known for "turning so many students off."

If anything, a lot of our students could work on their leadership and discipline considering the abysmal graduation rate.

A&M has an enrollment of 60k. I think they are doing just fine despite that cadet corp they are known for "turning so many students off."

If anything, a lot of our students could work on their leadership and discipline considering the abysmal graduation rate.

They have decades of that identity and culture and multi-generational aggy families who don't even consider sending kids elsewhere. They also have a population 3x the size of Ohio with a very conservative military culture and retiree population. Even still, A&M has a very self-selecting applicant pool that alienates a significant portion of the potential students because of their narrow culture and general weirdness. To a huge portion of the Texas population, particularly transplants from the Great Lakes and West Coast, A&M is considered this very weird, bizarre university and if kids don't get into Texas they don't even think about A&M as the backup.

I just don't see how you attempt to transplant that aggyness and wrap the identity of UA in it without alienating a huge pool of kids who'll just look to K--SU, YSU or CSU instead. UA should be trying to broaden its appeal right now rather than narrowing it, but that's what SS is doing with Polytechnic (which I admittedly lukewarm support depending on how it's implemented) and now the fake army.

If you want to increase the graduation rate, have better academic counseling, send marginal kids to a branch campus or CC for a year or two and provide more need-based aid to get kids through with less financial pressure to quit. A fake army is no magic bullet.

• Like 1

They have decades of that identity and culture and multi-generational aggy families who don't even consider sending kids elsewhere. They also have a population 3x the size of Ohio with a very conservative military culture and retiree population. Even still, A&M has a very self-selecting applicant pool that alienates a significant portion of the potential students because of their narrow culture and general weirdness. To a huge portion of the Texas population, particularly transplants from the Great Lakes and West Coast, A&M is considered this very weird, bizarre university and if kids don't get into Texas they don't even think about A&M as the backup.

I just don't see how you attempt to transplant that aggyness and wrap the identity of UA in it without alienating a huge pool of kids who'll just look to K--SU, YSU or CSU instead. UA should be trying to broaden its appeal right now rather than narrowing it, but that's what SS is doing with Polytechnic (which I admittedly lukewarm support depending on how it's implemented) and now the fake army.

If you want to increase the graduation rate, have better academic counseling, send marginal kids to a branch campus or CC for a year or two and provide more need-based aid to get kids through with less financial pressure to quit. A fake army is no magic bullet.

Have you ever been to Lubbock? I would say that it rivals Oxford for charm and character and is a bustling center of commerce, hardly a backwater.