Where does the axe fall next?

Akron currently sponsors 18 sports with the minimum requirement being 16. With now only 4 MAC teams sponsoring soccer I'd say that would be the easy pick except for the fact that's the sport we excel at. Title 9 would make it challenging to cut women's sports. I'd say if we were to cut more sports it would be rifle and/or men's golf.

1 hour ago, jupitertoo said:

Cross country, golf and rifle.  It's only a matter of time.

That would put us way under the 16 minimum when considering the men's and women's teams for each sport.

I know I will offend some people, but I am all for following Buffalo's lead and cutting down to the minimum and using some of that money to help with the school's finances and then some of it to invest more in football, men's basketball, and even men's soccer. Focus your resources where you can get the most bang for your buck, not where you don't get anything and will never get anything.

Edited by LZIp

Drop Rifle.  I'd say go for Golf too...but apparently we have to maintain that for 16.  I'm just trying to think utility here.  Does UA get ANY utility fielding a Rifle team?  At least with golf theres a lot of local courses (more cost effective?  i have no idea if that's true or not...)

Edited by Balsy

23 minutes ago, Balsy said:

Drop Rifle.  I'd say go for Golf too...but apparently we have to maintain that for 16.  I'm just trying to think utility here.  Does UA get ANY utility fielding a Rifle team?  At least with golf theres a lot of local courses (more cost effective?  i have no idea if that's true or not...)

You can cut men's golf, but keep women's golf. That's what CMU does.

13 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

It's set by NCAA. FBS D1 schools have to sponsor 16 sports. Non FBS schools only have to sponsor 14.

I don't believe the 16-sport rule is correct based on NCAA website.  The site indicates that any D1 school must maintain 14 sports, either 7 men's and 7 women's or 6 men's and 8 women's.  OU only supports 15 sports and it is D1 FBS.

6 minutes ago, jupitertoo said:

I don't believe the 16-sport rule is correct based on NCAA website.  The site indicates that any D1 school must maintain 14 sports, either 7 men's and 7 women's or 6 men's and 8 women's.  OU only supports 15 sports and it is D1 FBS.

An institution classified in Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) shall meet all the Division I membership requirements set forth in NCAA Division I Bylaw 20.9.9 and in addition, shall:

1. Sponsor a minimum of 16 varsity intercollegiate sports, including football, based on the minimum sports sponsorship and scheduling requirements set forth in Bylaw 20. Sponsorship shall include a minimum six sports involving all male teams or mixed teams (males and females), and a minimum of eight varsity intercollegiate teams involving all female teams. Institutions may use up to two emerging sports to satisfy the required eight varsity intercollegiate sports involving all female teams. [Bylaw 20.9.9.1]

https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/Football Bowl Subqa 12 8 14.pdf

Edit: Ohio sponsors 10 women sports and 6 men sports.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-American_Conference

Edited by kreed5120

4 hours ago, morris buttermaker said:

My guess is the UA will whack something to get to the minimum ...and in addition, stop fully funding a few sports.

They should.  Every school in our situation should.

• Like 2