Clayton Murphy

ZippyRulz

http://gozips.com/sports/track/2014-15/releases/20150723z0ajm8

"Quite an outstanding feat for Clayton's first time wearing the USA uniform," Akron head track and field coach Dennis Mitchell commented. "He ran like a veteran. What a great thing for the program having two gold medals for Akron at a major international competition. Coach LaBadie has done a great job with him. The upcoming Olympic year is going to be exciting."

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Congrats to Clayton!

University of Akron junior Clayton Murphy (New Paris, Ohio) became the school's seventh individual NCAA Champion capturing the 800-meter title at the NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships on Saturday, March 12.

View the full article at www.GoZips.com

Edited by ZippyRulz

Clayton has definitely taken the torch from Shawn Barber and ran with it (bad pun and all). 

Even without Barber, I look forward to seeing what this team (men's and women) can do outdoor, nationally. 

Akron is blessed with some high quality coaches (Embrick, Dambrot and Bowden), but Dennis Mitchell quietly may be the best of them all. He built the program to national respectability even before Stiles was built. Since then, it has become a national level program in both men and women. 

Crazy to think that this summer, two Zips (one being Barber, who if he wasn't so good, would still be with the program) could be competing in Brazil on the sport's biggest stage, while both being college aged... And both with a legit shot to medal, obviously Barber having more than just a shot. Talking gold with him.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, zippyfan34 said:

Zipsvoice, what is flat track?  Does that just mean indoor?  I was surprised that this world record is actually about 3 seconds slower than he ran in Rio.  I was surprised indoor would be that much slower than outdoor but I’m not a physics major.

No, it's just kinda like it sounds.  It is flat the entire way around, like an outdoor track.  Almost every outdoor track is 400 meters and flat.  The indoor flat tracks are 300 meters, generally.  Ours is, Youngstown State's is, SPIRE is.  But the majority of indoor tracks tend to be 200 meters, and the curves are banked inward.  Lots of times runners can take advantage of this and kinda slingshot themselves off of the turn.  But it's almost like short course speed skating, it's tough to overtake someone once they have the lead, until the last turn.  All that being said, I believe world records can only be set on 200 meter tracks..... But a 300 meter oval flat track has much tighter turns than a full 400 meter track, and in the indoor 800 he would have had to either make 4 laps or in the 300 flat, he would have had an additional turn in there, they start it opposite the finish line and go 2 1/2 times around.

Edited by ZipsVoice
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very powerful letter.     Mr. Maloney correctly points out that Williams and Miller have not been around long enough to appreciate the history and achievements of Akron track and field.   

https://www.si.com/college/video/2020/05/26/uconn-football-program-failures

this article about UConn football....could just as easily apply to Akron football.

I know that Williams was not around when the Infocision decision was made.  George Van Horne was part of the athletic department leadership team at that time.

The gridiron at all costs mentality of the last 10-15 years has really hurt other UA sports .  It is time for those involved in the Football at all cost decision....to pay the price.  Men's soccer, mens basketball, track and field and swimming could be even better with better support and leadership from the Athletic department leadership.

Portion of the article about UConn.......(feel free to substitute Akron athletic dept leadership and Akron when they give name of AD and Akron when whey they use UConn)

The nine years since then, they've been terrible. They have made bad coaching hires, they have agreed to ridiculous contracts. And I want to see the athletic director, David Benedict, on the day in June when he has to stand up there and tell a bunch of sports, "You no longer exist," take the fall for coming up with a contract for football coach Randy Edsall that includes bonuses for scoring first for having a better red zone, scoring percentage for leading at halftime and other completely useless means to put more money in the football coach's wallet. 

They built facilities, they got into the arms race when football was never a sustainable, long-term, big time sport at UConn. And now a bunch of athletes and non-revenue sports are going to pay the price for it. We'll see how many, but I feel sorry for those kids, and I hope the athletic administrators and everyone who runs UConn takes the proper fall when it happens.

I don't have a problem with the university cutting cross country as a means to reduce the deficit. I just wish they would be straight forward on how much money it actually is saving them. From there if boosters are willing to step up to endow the program, give them a chance. I just wonder where all these supposed boosters have been the past 2 years when we really needed to fundraise money for a new outdoor track