Next Zip in the NBA?

UAZip0510

Next Zip in the NBA?  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It appears Tree won't be getting a shot and Zeke is doing more gaming than hooping right now, so we are likely looking into the future for the next possible Zip in the NBA. Here's the question:

Who has the best shot of making it and why? Or is there not a player on the roster you think has a shot?

Has there even been a first Zip in the NBA? Nobody stands out on the current roster right now (maybe Pat, its weird how 7fters are so highly regarded, but of course, we thought the same about Zeke), but I do think the talent is there for one of them to make it. Kwan is a very unique player that could find himself in the NBA with improvement in a few areas of his game (rebounding and more consistent 3/overall offensive game). Pat as I've mentioned before, maybe Robo I think if he becomes a bigger threat offensively.

Hard for me to compliment on Williams since I haven't seen him play college bball.

Has there even been a first Zip in the NBA? Nobody stands out on the current roster right now (maybe Pat, its weird how 7fters are so highly regarded, but of course, we thought the same about Zeke), but I do think the talent is there for one of them to make it. Kwan is a very unique player that could find himself in the NBA with improvement in a few areas of his game (rebounding and more consistent 3/overall offensive game). Pat as I've mentioned before, maybe Robo I think if he becomes a bigger threat offensively.

Hard for me to compliment on Williams since I haven't seen him play college bball.

Zeke not making it in the NBA wasn't because of his lack of talent. He's got more skill than Whittington and N'dour.

I think Pat could be on the NBA radar with a good senior season. It all depends which Pat we see - confident Pat or timid Pat.

Trying to look at it realistically, Zeke will be 25 years old in December, and the odds of him getting an NBA shot are pretty long right now. Not getting invited to play in the NBA Summer League after all of his overseas work may have been the kiss of death.

No player on the current Zips roster is likely to get a shot at the NBA unless they show dramatic improvement in overall performance. The Zips have a lot of good players but none who've yet distinguished themselves as great. Pat has good size and moves, which will at least earn him a look if he has a great senior season. But DraftExpress hasn't written a word about Pat and only shows his barebone stats with no comments. Over Zeke's college career DraftExpress wrote several reviews and as a senior ranked him as a possible second round choice. So right now Pat's an even a longer shot than Zeke.

Hiring a real agent is a key part of taking the next step up.

For whatever reason, Zeke went with an NFL-oriented agency in Canton called HOF Player (presumably for Hall of Fame) that's fronted by "advisory consultant" Joe Namath. They currently represent 23 players on 18 NFL rosters, 3 minor league baseball players and 2 basketball players -- a little-known guard by the name of Lamont Jones and Zeke, both of whom are currently not on anyone's rosters. Their basketball business is so important that it's not even mentioned on their website. But you can see it here.

For whatever reason, Zeke went with an NFL-oriented agency in Canton called HOF Player (presumably for Hall of Fame) that's fronted by "advisory consultant" Joe Namath. They currently represent 23 players on 18 NFL rosters, 3 minor league baseball players and 2 basketball players -- a little-known guard by the name of Lamont Jones and Zeke, both of whom are currently not on anyone's rosters. Their basketball business is so important that it's not even mentioned on their website. But you can see it here.

Bingo.

But didn't he hire his mom coming out of school (which realistically would have been his best shot).

Maybe no "real" agents were interested in Zeke.

There are lots of lower level agents with basketball portfolios that make a career on getting guys like Zeke a shot.

Zeke just never developed much over the course of four years, he got better, don't get me wrong, but a guy with that size and athleticism should have destroyed the MAC and he never did that. Big difference maker on defense, but just did not have the ability to do much with the ball in his hands or even out of his hands on the offensive side.

Same old story, I just don't think he wanted it enough. I don't know him personally, but clearly with all the reports and things that were said, he just never had that burning desire to absolutely will himself to make it happen in the NBA.

There is little to no chance anybody on this roster can make it. Pat would have to have an absurd senior campaign and the Zips with a post season run for him to get a real look.

Just posted today, compare the results for #43 and #48:

How Accurate are Rivals.com Rankings? (Part III) Rivals Basketball Class of 2009

I think what it really shows is that in basketball, rankings matter. Impact player very rarely come out of no where. It does happen, but in basketball, it is rare. So to make a quality program, continuously relying on 2 star and under, is not the way to go.I get it...so much of the ranking could be political, but with basketball as big money as it is, a good AAU tournament showcase turns unknowns into known players. It is extremely hard to be unnoticed in basketball. Late bloomers are always out there, but there is too much attention to summer ball, tournaments, regular season, to not be known.

I pointed out the biggest example of budding NBA superstar Kawhi Leonard being ranked a little lower than Zeke. But, looking at the overall picture, 22 of the 42 players ranked ahead of Zeke as HS seniors went undrafted, and none of those 22 undrafted players have made it to the NBA.