E.J. Thomas to cease producing shows

Kind of sad hearing the news about EJ, it was a fantastic facility. I know its not closed but it sure looks to be on its way out. I gave my high school graduation speech there and a year later starred in this ad for the University of Akron (which they did not tell us they were going to use for an ad) in front of EJ. This is from a 1981 Beacon Magazine ad, they had gathered a bunch of us together for a photo but never told us the purpose of the picture. I am right in the middle, doing my best badass look that you can do while wearing an overly large collar. Never got compensated for what I am sure was a huge influx of students after the ad ran. :)

gallery_1310_36_35677.jpg

• Like 1

As far as EJ is concerned, it's sad, but I didn't realize that it was such a big money loser.

With that news, even though I am embarrassed by all of these cuts, it's hard to argue why it probably had to close. I just wish there were other options.

To me it's the product of poor leadership. What and how was the administration engaging the public about these hardships? There are other options...engaging the people who 'give a damn' about it.

One of my mother's favorite stories of NEO is that of Playhouse Square in Cleveland. It was scheduled to be torndown and made into parking garages in the 70's, a thought today that is almost unthinkable. The reason it's still there became a thriving seed for the revitalization of downtown Cleveland is because of a small group of people who gave a damn, and fought to keep it (and raised the money to do so). I have hope that a similar movement might save EJ.

My concern is the lack of leadership. This is something the administration could have speerheaded themselves by engaging the public, those whom are passionate about it, in an open and transparent manner. I fear this administration is alienating the few people who might give a damn.

My daughters HS graduation was held there in 2012 and my wife and I were appalled at the conditions. Huge pieces of wall coverings were peeling away, the carpeting is worn out and the bathrooms were pretty grimy. I would bet that most of the mechanical systems need a major overhaul too.

The wall coverings and carpet were replaced prior to last school year. Also, the bathrooms were renovated.

• Like 1

This is the entire ad:

u-of-a-craigslist.jpg

While this is a first class piece of smart-assery, it makes me sick to my stomach that my favorite place in the world has been reduced to a joke. I hope the U can recover, but right now it looks like we are at an all-time low and the hits just keep on coming.

If you love UA, don't search Google news for recent articles. It's depressing. I am hoping the football team can break out this year and give people an opportunity to rally around something positive. I know success on the gridiron doesn't solve the fiscal problems but I think a lot of us have a real need to feel good about something.

UA played a huge role in making me the person I am today in so many different aspects. It hurts so bad to see her struggle like this.

• Like 1

To me it's the product of poor leadership. What and how was the administration engaging the public about these hardships? There are other options...engaging the people who 'give a damn' about it.

One of my mother's favorite stories of NEO is that of Playhouse Square in Cleveland. It was scheduled to be torndown and made into parking garages in the 70's, a thought today that is almost unthinkable. The reason it's still there became a thriving seed for the revitalization of downtown Cleveland is because of a small group of people who gave a damn, and fought to keep it (and raised the money to do so). I have hope that a similar movement might save EJ.

My concern is the lack of leadership. This is something the administration could have speerheaded themselves by engaging the public, those whom are passionate about it, in an open and transparent manner. I fear this administration is alienating the few people who might give a damn.

Which administration are you referring to?

Which administration are you referring to?

The current one. I think it would have done a lot for SS's image and future plans if it looked like he "gave a damn". Even if nothing really can be done, even if what needs to be done is insurmountable...it looks a lot better to be ahead of it, and in an open and transparent matter. Being frank, but ultimately leaving the public/supporters to decide (as in rallying to save it or not). That, IMO, is what a good leader does. Never underestimate people who "give a damn" and are given the opportunity to act.

The current one. I think it would have done a lot for SS's image and future plans if it looked like he "gave a damn". Even if nothing really can be done, even if what needs to be done is insurmountable...it looks a lot better to be ahead of it, and in an open and transparent matter. Being frank, but ultimately leaving the public/supporters to decide (as in rallying to save it or not). That, IMO, is what a good leader does. Never underestimate people who "give a damn" and are given the opportunity to act.

That's what I thought about the baseball program. When Cleveland State dropped wrestling, the program was given a chance to continue if they funded themselves. Well, with the help of the local wrestling community, it did just that.

I still think "cold weather" college baseball needs to be restructured to cut down on travel in March and all the other expenses in hopes of a first round superregional thrashing. But who cares, Akron won't be part of it. The best we can hope for is a successful club team http://zipshockey.weebly.com/

The community is going batshit crazy over the closing. My question is, why haven't they been paying for it? Why is it the college student's job to subsidize a venue for the community that only a handful ever use (until graduation)?

And when was the last time they were in it? I hear stories of concerts and shows from the 70's and 80's, well, have they been there in the last 30 years? And if you haven't been there in 30 years, why cry because it's gone? Again, college students paying for a museum that these people don't visit. I guess they should pay for street cars too, because some nostalgic old farts miss them. They're never going to pay to ride them, but we must keep them there!!! It's the same with the Rubber Blow. e5228452.gif

And if it's that important to the community, why doesn't the community get off its ass and save it? Maybe because half of them live in Arizona or Florida now?

• Like 2

But it is the former administration that caused this holocaust!! If UA is going to get back on track….things need to change, cuts need to be made!!

Balsy, you continuously criticize the cuts and changes SS is making. What would you suggest he do? The $60M deficit is not going away on its own! If the community wants to save EJ Thomas or the baseball team……..DO SOMETHING as Spin pointed out!!

You support the teachers going to the media about cutting back the football program. Do you have any idea the damage they have done? In my opinion they made themselves look like fools and they sabotaged the efforts TB and staff are putting forth to build the program back up. It is going to be nearly impossible to recruit and I wouldn't be surprised if current players look to transfer. They took a stance….made a statement and provided nothing of substance to support their position and to anyone that did any digging on the subject - cutting back to D 1aa makes absolutely no sense. They did not do what teachers are supposed to do - RESEARCH!

I'm sure the ABJ is selling lots of newspapers and their webpages are blowing up over all this controversy. I would expect a few more stories to surface so they can ride it out a little longer. When the local governments were forced to make big cutbacks after the recession they ran a few stories and that was it. Apparently they are content to be part of the problem and not part of the solution. I would think it would be in their own best interest to rally the community behind UA to get through these tough times. I guess they just can't put their politics aside and promote an institution run by a board of trustees dominated by Republican appointees.

The community is going batshit crazy over the closing. My question is, why haven't they been paying for it? Why is it the college student's job to subsidize a venue for the community that only a handful ever use (until graduation)?

And when was the last time they were in it? I hear stories of concerts and shows from the 70's and 80's, well, have they been there in the last 30 years? And if you haven't been there in 30 years, why cry because it's gone? Again, college students paying for a museum that these people don't visit. I guess they should pay for street cars too, because some nostalgic old farts miss them. They're never going to pay to ride them, but we must keep them there!!! It's the same with the Rubber Blow. e5228452.gif

And if it's that important to the community, why doesn't the community get off its ass and save it? Maybe because half of them live in Arizona or Florida now?

Seriously, can't the same be said of InfoCision stadium? I think that's a legitimate question. We know that 300k plus attend shows at EJT, which would make it a more viable "front porch" to the community.

But my number one concern is HOW this has been handled. It must be the most ham-handed PR approach ever. I fear we're going to see a significant loss of incoming freshman both this year and next due to the terrible PR. Hearing of LOTS of incoming students who are rethinking their college choice -- even some who are going to sit out a semester until they can enroll late at Can't. Don't blame the media - they are only reporting the facts that are being shared with them. The administration needed to get out in front of this and control the message. They didn't, and they're paying for it. The board is ultimate responsible; when will they be held accountable?

UA is far from unique in the matter of anti-athletic sentiment among a certain percentage of faculty members. It exists in every school in the country. It usually only goes public in times of distress, but it's there all the time everywhere. Sports fans may not like it, but it's the duty of faculty members to speak out whenever they believe an over-emphasis on athletics is detrimental to higher education. There will never be total agreement on the proper balance of athletics and higher education.

I'm sure the ABJ is selling lots of newspapers and their webpages are blowing up over all this controversy. I would expect a few more stories to surface so they can ride it out a little longer. When the local governments were forced to make big cutbacks after the recession they ran a few stories and that was it. Apparently they are content to be part of the problem and not part of the solution. I would think it would be in their own best interest to rally the community behind UA to get through these tough times. I guess they just can't put their politics aside and promote an institution run by a board of trustees dominated by Republican appointees.

Their job is to report what's going on at UA, and only a fool would say that isn't largely negative right now. Their job is not to be a cheerleader for the school. That's the job of the school's public relations department.

That was Terry Puto's job for Mount Union when he worked at the BJ. Why not someone for the Akron, since it's an Akron paper and all? All for one.

No problem with a sports columnist fulfilling that role. What the original post was calling for was the ABJ actually sitting on and refusing to run negative stories about what's going on at the university.

They should sit on non-stories though and faculty advocating a drop to FCS was a non-story.

The head of the faculty senate making that recommendation is not a non-story. Mind you, the same story has essentially been printed at every mid-major university supporting D1 football in recent years. It comes up every year in Athens, Ohio, and is reported not only in the Athens papers but also the Columbus media. As a matter of fact, I believe it was 1988 or 1989 when the same Beacon Journal ran a story reporting that Ohio University's faculty senate had recommended a move to then-I-AA football...all based on the same student subsidy issue. As sports fans, we all hate to see the subject raised but it is very much a legitimate topic that deserves careful attention on every campus except for an elite few.

The head of the faculty senate making that recommendation is not a non-story. Mind you, the same story has essentially been printed at every mid-major university supporting D1 football in recent years. It comes up every year in Athens, Ohio, and is reported not only in the Athens papers but also the Columbus media. As a matter of fact, I believe it was 1988 or 1989 when the same Beacon Journal ran a story reporting that Ohio University's faculty senate had recommended a move to then-I-AA football...all based on the same student subsidy issue. As sports fans, we all hate to see the subject raised but it is very much a legitimate topic that deserves careful attention on every campus except for an elite few.

The head of the faculty senate advocating dropping football is a story. The head of the faculty senate making any recommendation that makes some kind of sense may be a story. Advocating dropping form FBS to FCS is a non-story because anyone with an IQ over 15 knows that the cost savings from doing that is negligible. It has been discussed ad-nauseam. The move from FBS to FCS would exacerbate the problem, but let's not start discussing this again. I'm actually sorry I even mentioned it.

And also, before someone jumps me about the faculty having an IQ less than 15. . .I don't really mean that but Axl Rose put that phrase in my head years ago and it slips out from time to time. :rock:

Even Joe Dunn has admitted that the university has looked at the numbers and the budget for football could shrink by $2 million by moving down to FCS. Said it on his radio show last week. Other MAC schools have done studies that indicate $2-$4 million savings. What negates these savings in the minds of some are the millions of revenue supposedly available through bowls. Can you tell me of one MAC school - besides possibly NIU @ the Orange Bowl - that has made money on a bowl trip? OU lost $200k on its last bowl. We're kidding ourselves, folks, and only delaying the inevitable. The whole league should bite the bullet, hold a press conference and announce that we have chosen to do college sports the right way, putting our priorities back where they belong. That's how the MAC could differentiate itself.

• Like 4

Even Joe Dunn has admitted that the university has looked at the numbers and the budget for football could shrink by $2 million by moving down to FCS. Said it on his radio show last week. Other MAC schools have done studies that indicate $2-$4 million savings. What negates these savings in the minds of some are the millions of revenue supposedly available through bowls. Can you tell me of one MAC school - besides possibly NIU @ the Orange Bowl - that has made money on a bowl trip? OU lost $200k on its last bowl. We're kidding ourselves, folks, and only delaying the inevitable. The whole league should bite the bullet, hold a press conference and announce that we have chosen to do college sports the right way, putting our priorities back where they belong. That's how the MAC could differentiate itself.

This topic has been talked to death. If I had seeteezip's phone number I would send it to you so you guys could yak about it with each other 'til your hearts were content.

PD today with a story outlining the $950,000+ renovation of the Scarborourgh's mansion:

Turns out, $400k plus came out of general fund; was not all donated money, as claimed earlier

Includes renovation of two bedrooms and bath into an in-law's suite - since when are we responsible for renovations/ugrades to house grandparents?

$141,000 in furnishings, just for 1 floor.

Includes $500+ olive jar. That's my favorite.

PD today with a story outlining the $950,000+ renovation of the Scarborourgh's mansion:

Turns out, $400k plus came out of general fund; was not all donated money, as claimed earlier

Includes renovation of two bedrooms and bath into an in-law's suite - since when are we responsible for renovations/ugrades to house grandparents?

$141,000 in furnishings, just for 1 floor.

Includes $500+ olive jar. That's my favorite.

The 400k out of the general fund is pretty f'ed up considering all the cuts right now.