E.J. Thomas to cease producing shows

PD today with a story outlining the $950,000+ renovation of the Scarborourgh's mansion:

Turns out, $400k plus came out of general fund; was not all donated money, as claimed earlier

Includes renovation of two bedrooms and bath into an in-law's suite - since when are we responsible for renovations/ugrades to house grandparents?

$141,000 in furnishings, just for 1 floor.

Includes $500+ olive jar. That's my favorite.

Wow. Given UA's finances, this is just a shocking level of irresponsibility and betrayal of the taxpayers' trust. It would also seem that the editorial board and newsroom of the PD have quite a hard on for SS, and the more I'm discovering about what's going on, the more I think that's justified.

I thought the "rebranding" could have been a good thing if executed as part of a proper long-term strategy up to and including a merger with Can't State. I thought the "napkin" analysis was apt, though never should have been made public much less bragged about in a speech. I understand that he inherited a fiscal shit sandwich from "Dr P." But still, this lavish 1% CEO "let them eat cake" personal excess. The spitting in the face of the Kasich and the legislature with the b.s. fee scheme. The callously lying about where the axe would fall. The shady privatization schemes. He is taking a bad situation that he inherited and throwing gasoline onto it. $500 olive jars? Are you f@##$ing kidding me? And the trustees are knee deep in this. They signed off on all of P's grandiose plans and visions, and they hired SS. I don't know what the laws are, but it would seem as though Kasich and Regents' Chair need to clean house.

Finally some positive words from the ABJ.

http://www.ohio.com/editorial/editorials/what-ua-achieves-in-its-budget-1.612626

"What the University of Akron finally has is a clear and responsible framework for spending. That is a real accomplishment. For many, it may not seem so, but it offers a sustainable way to get better."

• Like 1

Even Joe Dunn has admitted that the university has looked at the numbers and the budget for football could shrink by $2 million by moving down to FCS. Said it on his radio show last week. Other MAC schools have done studies that indicate $2-$4 million savings. What negates these savings in the minds of some are the millions of revenue supposedly available through bowls. Can you tell me of one MAC school - besides possibly NIU @ the Orange Bowl - that has made money on a bowl trip? OU lost $200k on its last bowl. We're kidding ourselves, folks, and only delaying the inevitable. The whole league should bite the bullet, hold a press conference and announce that we have chosen to do college sports the right way, putting our priorities back where they belong. That's how the MAC could differentiate itself.

Very touchy subject. But judging by the feedback, a very relevant Zips topic IMO.

What deserves emphasis amid all the criticism, and yes, many things could have been handled better, is that Scott Scarborough arrived a year ago with an item at the top of the agenda: Fix the university’s sorry finances. Put another way, he didn’t create the problem. Others did, most notably, the university trustees, inviting a whole other discussion about how these largely political appointments are made in Ohio.

The new president deserves to be assessed on the way the budget process has been conducted. It has been more inclusive than many admit, with the participation of faculty leadership, including the union representing faculty members. Colleges have engaged in strategic planning, as part of setting priorities and a foundation upon which to build.

What the University of Akron finally has is a clear and responsible framework for spending. That is a real accomplishment. For many, it may not seem so, but it offers a sustainable way to get better.

Finally something positive :rock:

"Finally some positive words from the ABJ.

http://www.ohio.com/...budget-1.612626"

And a cowardly swipe at that "mistake of a stadium", with no suggestion of what should have been done instead. Play in the Rubber Bowl forever? Build a Div. III stadium? Shutter the program? Let's hear it, editors.

I caught that too. Everybody has to put in their two cents, but nobody has answers.

Wow. Given UA's finances, this is just a shocking level of irresponsibility and betrayal of the taxpayers' trust. It would also seem that the editorial board and newsroom of the PD have quite a hard on for SS, and the more I'm discovering about what's going on, the more I think that's justified.

I thought the "rebranding" could have been a good thing if executed as part of a proper long-term strategy up to and including a merger with Can't State. I thought the "napkin" analysis was apt, though never should have been made public much less bragged about in a speech. I understand that he inherited a fiscal shit sandwich from "Dr P." But still, this lavish 1% CEO "let them eat cake" personal excess. The spitting in the face of the Kasich and the legislature with the b.s. fee scheme. The callously lying about where the axe would fall. The shady privatization schemes. He is taking a bad situation that he inherited and throwing gasoline onto it. $500 olive jars? Are you f@##$ing kidding me? And the trustees are knee deep in this. They signed off on all of P's grandiose plans and visions, and they hired SS. I don't know what the laws are, but it would seem as though Kasich and Regents' Chair need to clean house.

Olive jar is nothing 40k for a Bathroom was shocking to me.

The reason no one has any valid alternatives to the new stadium is because no one can prove it wasn't the right decision to make based on all the data available at the time the decision was made. Labeling something a mistake in hindsight is lazy analysis. Don't waste my time trying to tell me what didn't work out in the past due to unforeseen circumstances. Tell me what is or isn't going to work in the future based on all the available data today. That's what real leaders do.

The next question no one has really thought all the way through is whether or not FBS football is worth $2 million more in prestige and intangibles to UA than FCS football. Don't try to tell me it's a smart way to save $2 million a year if it's going to end up costing UA more than $2 million a year in losses for a variety of other unforeseen reasons.

• Like 2

Seriously, can't the same be said of InfoCision stadium? I think that's a legitimate question. We know that 300k plus attend shows at EJT, which would make it a more viable "front porch" to the community.

The difference being is the Info was built to replace an old decrepit facility used by student-athletes and student-fans as a recreational activity. Like the Rec or the theater.

The EJT is an old decrepit facility used primarily by the community as a playhouse and (to a much lesser extent than in the past) concert venue. A vast majority of college students don't use it as such in today's world. Until graduation day. SS also sees the value of the football program in marketing and garnering attention of prospective students.

The EJT must have been a major money loser, judging by the lack of renovations, and it being an early cut.

Maybe if they didn't focus primarily on Broadway shows and occasional rock acts that peaked when the current students' grandparents were in college, they wouldn't have faced such severe cuts.

EJT Hall had such potential for serving the students, but their focus was elsewhere. The university shouldn't have to heavily subsidise something that was used almost exclusively by the outside community.

Not that I'm happy to see it or anything, but the only time I ever stepped foot in EJ was for graduation.

Okay, been out of town for 30+ years. But...Sheesh...EJ Thomas was like the Center of Campus and school life when I was a student. All the Western Civ lectures were in there. When did they stop having classes there? Do they still have Western Civ?? lol. What buildings have replaced EJT for lecture space?

ZIP....Our old memories are nearly identical, but it was WESTERN Culture and EASTERN Civ.

I also remember those Western Cult. lectures were at EJ. I wonder if some of the younger folks here can enlighten us on how those classes are handled today, and if they are even part of the general requirements anymore.

And I remember having a big General Marketing class that held it's lectures in EJ as well.

This was all early 80s, so I have no idea.

I don't think they've had lectures in EJT since the turn of the century.

95+% of students at UA have never been there, and probably couldn't point it out if they were standing in front of it.

The only day I ever stepped foot in that building was on graduation day.

Okay, been out of town for 30+ years. But...Sheesh...EJ Thomas was like the Center of Campus and school life when I was a student. All the Western Civ lectures were in there. When did they stop having classes there? Do they still have Western Civ?? lol. What buildings have replaced EJT for lecture space?

I had WCT lectures at EJT back in the day. What I remember is the throng of students going there (or coming from) on the sidewalk right next to Buchtel Ave. with the traffic whizzing by. If you weren't careful you could have been nudged by the crowd off the sidewalk and into the path of a vehicle. Nowadays it's hard to believe there was once a major thoroughfare running right thru campus.

The difference being is the Info was built to replace an old decrepit facility used by student-athletes and student-fans as a recreational activity. Like the Rec or the theater.

The EJT is an old decrepit facility used primarily by the community as a playhouse and (to a much lesser extent than in the past) concert venue. A vast majority of college students don't use it as such in today's world. Until graduation day. SS also sees the value of the football program in marketing and garnering attention of prospective students.

The EJT must have been a major money loser, judging by the lack of renovations, and it being an early cut.

More students used EJTH than they do Infocision stadium. That's a fact. ZipTickets was hot, getting free tickets to all the shows and you had to go in advance because all the student tickets were always taken. You're out of touch of you for a moment think students on campus weren't using, and enjoying, the performances there.

• Like 2

I don't think they've had lectures in EJT since the turn of the century.

95+% of students at UA have never been there, and probably couldn't point it out if they were standing in front of it.

And 99% of students never step foot inside Infocision stadium.

Closing EJTH is an absolute disgrace.

More students used EJTH than they do Infocision stadium. That's a fact. ZipTickets was hot, getting free tickets to all the shows and you had to go in advance because all the student tickets were always taken. You're out of touch of you for a moment think students on campus weren't using, and enjoying, the performances there.

I agree. Every time I tried to get ZipTix there was always a line out the door of students/faculty waiting to get their tickets. I've never seen a big line outside of Infocision.

I had WCT lectures at EJT back in the day. What I remember is the throng of students going there (or coming from) on the sidewalk right next to Buchtel Ave. with the traffic whizzing by. If you weren't careful you could have been nudged by the crowd off the sidewalk and into the path of a vehicle. Nowadays it's hard to believe there was once a major thoroughfare running right thru campus.

There was a young woman killed at that exact spot when I was a junior - it's when the discussions about closing Buchtel Ave through campus started in earnest. At least most the money we're talking about for capital investment did significantly improve the campus. It's almost unrecognizable (for the better) to those of us that were there 30 years ago.