Biggest Threat to the Zips?

UAZip0510

Biggest Threat to the Zips?  

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I know it's early but I've got the itch to talk some MAC basketball. At this point in the game, who do you see as the biggest threat to the Zips this season and why?

I'm going with Central Michigan. I think Buffalo lost too much, including Hurley, as did Toledo and Can't State. Central Michigan brings back most of a team that won 23 games last season and reached the MAC Championship.

With that said, I truly believe the Zips will be MAC Champions once again this March. We just need to avoid the injury bug this year and we'll be good to go - this team is loaded.

Other than themselves, the biggest threat to the Zips is definitely Central Michigan. Can't got a nice transfer guard, and Buffalo still has Moss, so the east will be difficult still. Ohio is really young, but just lost its best returning player in Ryan Taylor, so I don't really see them contending. I also expect BG to be in rebuild mode. John Cooper's days in Miami are numbered and I think he'll be gone after this season.

As far as the west, obviously CMU will win it. I don't see any way that doesn't happen (I think we will play them twice this year). Toledo has Boothe, but just lost an excellent class, so they could be way down. I also expect EMU to drop without Talley and Ward, though Raven Lee is a great guard. NIU was supposed to be good last year, but they ended up being pretty bad again. They should improve, but may not contend. Ball State might win more than 2 MAC games, then again they just lost Zavier Turner to transfer, so who knows? Western Michigan is the dark horse in the league this year. Thomas Wilder is one of the best young players in the league as is Drake LaMont. Connar Tava and Tucker Haymond also return, so don't be surprised to see them contending.

As for the Zips, they have a great point guard, and a great center. Those are two very important pieces that not many MAC teams have. Akron has really good veterans, great young players, good depth, and the league's best coaching staff. This team is shaping up to look a lot like that 2012-2013 team. Just need to stay healthy and out of trouble. Go Zips!!

The biggest threat is the common attitude of today's college athlete. The second is an administration that doesn't reward success.

As for MAC teams, Buffalo is the reigning champ and there's no sign they will drop off with Moss returning.

The Bulls lost Xavier Ford and Will Regan to graduation, Shannon Evans as a transfer, and Maurice O'Field and Torian Graham, who were supposed to be big additions, both followed Hurley to Arizona State. And they lost Hurley who, although a jerk, is a helluva coach. I'm not writing them off, but those aren't small losses.

1. Zips - discipline. To reach their potential the Zips need to share the ball better and live for we not me.

2. Zips - health

3. Zips - being good teammate, student and citizen

4. Opponents - don't cheat and take anyone lightly.

5. $$$ - university is contracting...alumni/boosters will be needed more going forward

6. Facility - JAR will become a albatross when KD says enough

So, by the tone of a few posts, it sounds as if this year's team is not getting along as well as last year's. Anyone care to elaborate a bit?

I didn't read it that way. I think it's more that some of our teams in the recent past have had chemistry issues and it has negatively impacted the on-court results.

^^Okay, good! I'm glad I was reading too much into just a couple comments. And LZip, you're right, when I went back to quote the comments which led me to think the team wasn't getting along as well, there really weren't many at all.

Here are the quotes that had me a little concerned:

GoZips wrote: "It is a team of brothers; not a team of others. Love one another and end the squabbling."

GoZips is pretty close to the program, so that sentence made these next two stand out to me:

Clark Griswold wrote: "The biggest threat is the common attitude of today's college athlete." As I read that again, Clark's obviously not specifically referring to this year's Zips team chemistry.

And then taxpayer wrote: "Zips - discipline. To reach their potential the Zips need to share the ball better and live for we not me."

I just over reacted. I think I've just grown accustomed to nothing but bad news over the last month. Lol.

• Like 1

Wow, hard to believe UB will allow Moss to remain on campus after a second instance of theft. You'd think he would have been on probation from the first instance. Unbelievable to think a player with a real shot at earning millions as a pro could be so stupid.

Sources told The News the Student-Wide Judiciary also had to consider that Moss had been involved in some sort of minor theft at some point previously in his tenure as a UB student.