Rules Changes for 2015-16

Z.I.P.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/13037928/ncaa-announces-rule-changes-2015-16-including-30-second-shot-clock-fewer-outs

The shot clock change from 35 to 30 seconds is the only "major" change for the men, BUT wow ... Women's CBB is changing big time! Not JUST to four quarters, but a five personal foul bonus shooting change (back to the way it was prior to about 1975 -- help me out DiG!). And I also heard that in the women's game, all fouls in the final two minutes of the second half will be two shots.

• Like 1

I prefer four quarters to two halves. Everyone loves buzzer-beaters & having four quarters gives you two more chances for a buzzer-beater per game. They provide big surges of momentum for the team who ends a quarter well. It's one of the things I prefer about high school basketball to the college game... actually, probably the only thing. Lol

I'd expect the men to get 10-minute quarters after a couple of years. The NCAA lets the women test new rules, such as the 30-second clock, before expanding it to the men's game. So whatever changes happen for the women are likely to be in the works for the men as well. When you consider that the best men's players are going directly to the NBA after a single season of NCAA play, it makes sense to make the college game more like the pro game.

I'd expect the men to get 10-minute quarters after a couple of years. The NCAA lets the women test new rules, such as the 30-second clock, before expanding it to the men's game. So whatever changes happen for the women are likely to be in the works for the men as well. When you consider that the best men's players are going directly to the NBA after a single season of NCAA play, it makes sense to make the college game more like the pro game.

Not saying it won't or even shouldn't happen, but I don't know of any incentive the NCAA has to try to make their game as similar as possible to the pro game, unless there is a trend where top prospects start to go overseas rather than to school, which is a risky move by them. Many prospects bust, some in college and even more once they get drafted. A free education is a good safety net.

From my experience (obviously a small sample), it seems like the diehards I know prefer college over the NBA. As popular as the NBA is and as a diehard Cavs fan myself, I even think there are a lot of problems with it.

1) Lengthening the game by taking Quarter Breaks? I don't like it.

2) As a Dambrot-era program that works for good shots, I can't imagine how taking 5 seconds off of every possession is going to help us. It might be a good rule change for fans, to watch teams take more shots in a game. But, is it good for the Zips?

The men's rules change story clearly states that the number of timeouts is being reduced for this season. On the women's side, the extra two quarter breaks will simply replace two media timeouts, so no lengthening of the game. The same will apply when quarters eventually come to men's games. High school, pro, international and women's college basketball will now all be using quarters. Men's college basketball is the oddball. As far as the 30-second clock affecting the Zips, they'll adjust just fine. Less holding the ball and more offense might even attract a few more fans to the JAR. :)

I don't really think that all those one-and-done guys are leaving college basketball because they prefer the NBA rules, Dave! lol And, since I stopped watching those games about 40 years ago, I seriously doubt these changes will increase my interest in CBB -- but YES -- I'm afraid they ARE using women CBB players as lab rats for the "real game". smh

I don't really think that all those one-and-done guys are leaving college basketball because they prefer the NBA rules, Dave! lol ...

Me neither. :lol: Football players play four quarters in high school, college and the pros. Basketball players play four quarters in high school, two halves in college and four quarters in the pros. Wuz up wit dat?

On the women's side, the extra two quarter breaks will simply replace two media timeouts, so no lengthening of the game. The same will apply when quarters eventually come to men's games. High school, pro, international and women's college basketball will now all be using quarters. Men's college basketball is the oddball.

Timeouts can now replace the TV timeouts, but that's obviously not the case with end of quarters. The stoppage for the end of is going to be longer than your standard TV timeout, so there is really no doubt the moving to quarters will lengthen the game.

Timeouts can now replace the TV timeouts, but that's obviously not the case with end of quarters. The stoppage for the end of is going to be longer than your standard TV timeout, so there is really no doubt the moving to quarters will lengthen the game.

The NCAA currently allows 4 media timeouts per half or 8 per game. The new rules for the women's game allow 1 media timeout per quarter or 4 per game. Eliminating 4 media timeouts easily offsets the time added between the 1st and 2nd and 3rd and 4th quarters. It's not like the teams are going to go back into the locker rooms between quarters as they do at the half. For example, the NBA has a 2-minute break between quarters. The new rules are designed not to lengthen the game.

The NCAA currently allows 4 media timeouts per half or 8 per game. The new rules for the women's game allow 1 media timeout per quarter or 4 per game. Eliminating 4 media timeouts easily offsets the time added between the 1st and 2nd and 3rd and 4th quarters. It's not like the teams are going to go back into the locker rooms between quarters as they do at the half. For example, the NBA has a 2-minute break between quarters. The new rules are designed not to lengthen the game.

Switching to quarters isn't the variable in that equation that is making the impact. It's the elimination of 2 TV timeouts. There's no need to switch to quarters to do that. Switch the TV timeouts to 15, 10, & 5, and you would have an even greater effect. The 15-10-5 format is actually already in the rule book as alternative to the 16-12-8-4.

• 1 month later...